Tools of the trade

Started by Curtis · 10 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Curtis said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Hello all,

I’m very new here (1 day). An extraordinary resource, excited to learn from you guys!

I’m returning to modeling after 40 years away. I’ve built a couple models, and have 3-4 in progress (sigh). I have some basic tools and a bunch of Tamiya paint pots (and have spent way too much on Tamiya rattle cans..). I’ve watched a bunch of build videos on YouTube from some extraordinary builders (some of which are here), truly helpful and inspiring. These videos have led me to throw out this request to the community here – would there be an interest in creating a group related to tools of the trade?

What are your favorite tools? On the hardware side:
    Airbrush and compressor, brushes, knives and cutters, scribes and riveters, templates, etc

On the consumables side:
    Paints, thinners, sandpapers and abrasives, puttys, adhesives, tapes, decal chemistry, etc.

I know a large part of learning is experimenting, but my dilemma is where to go after the basics. I understand the subjective nature of tools and craft, yet I find these opinions priceless. A common dilemma for me is to go to the hobby shop and get overwhelmed by the options available. You might remember those days?

Thank you for reading –
    Curtis

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 4 months ago:

You'll undoubtedly get a wide variety of "answers" to these questions, all of which which probably be right. But it's YOU who'll ultimately have to make these decisions based on what's comfortable for you. Read, learn and research...then make a choice you feel best suited for your immediate needs. And those choices will change after a time as well. Simply put - just have fun and 'have at it', as they say. Good Luck.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Hi Curtis,
    Welcome!
    Like you I came back to the hobby after a break of nearly 40 years.
    In that time number of new 'tools' have transformed the way in which kits are built, compared to the way I used to do it!
    My top three:-

1. Glues - hot glues such as tamiya extra thin, and super glue, parts can be secured in minutes now , this used to take hours;
    2. Air brushes and compressors - new to me this time around, but a big leap forward over the old style brush painting I was used to. I do of course use brushes for the fine detail work for speed and accuracy some times there is no better way, but the airbrush gives you a much wider range of options;
    3. Paints - goes hand in hand with the Airbrush thing really, I am a big fan of the new lacquer paints - MRP both for camo and the metallics (AK xtreme metals) they do stink but the idea of being able to handle parts minutes after they have been painted is unheard of from the days of enamels when you painted stuff and left it to dry over night.
      I still use humbrol/ revell and model master, you can't beat them when it comes to painting small areas or detail - also for those projects when drying times are not such a problem. Tamiya paints I also like for their ability to be thinned almost infinitely, XF-2 white for its ability to cover just about anything.
    4. Mr Hobby Self Levelling Thinner - makes just about everything spray better.
      I could go on but there's a start.

Best wishes
    David

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Hi Curtis,

Welcome to iModeler and welcome back to the hobby!
    I like your suggestion about getting a group thread all about hobby tools, after all there’s always new stuff on the market or people using non modeling products with great results, mst often things we neverbtought about using. So sharing thoughts and experiences is always a good learning curve.
    I can recommend you adjust the paint brand to the medium you use as paint tool.,,Tamiya paint isn’t a good choice for brush but if you go airbrush it sprays just fine (just dilute it with isopropyl alcohol). Vallejo, by opposite experience, are fantastic to paint or dry brush but suck when airbrush. Nowadays these 2 brands are just a few of what’s available more or less worldwide. MRP, Gunze, Mission Models, AK are also good choices

• Profile Photo

Craig, David, Pedro, thanks very much!

David, the info on paints and thinners is especially useful for me. I have a better idea of what to look for and why on the next hobby shop visit — cheers!

Pedro, I concur on the Tamiya paint with a brush, ouch. But the Vallejo and other brand info, so helpful, thanks. A new arrival to the local hobby shop, next to the huge Gunze and Tamiya walls is an AMMO by Mig Jimenez display, that name is new to me. Looks like a focus on weathering and acrylics. Have you used these before? Unfortunately I have not seen MRP, AK or Mission paint here in Tokyo.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 4 months ago:

MRP are fantastic but pretty potent - they spray without thinning and are beautiful colours.
    Same goes for Alclad lacquers for metallic finishes - smelly and potentially unhealthy but great finishes.
    Vallejo Acrylic/Polyurethane black surface primer is very smooth and dries quickly.

Pro-Zetsu sprue cutters - sharp as can be and reduce scraping and sanding by getting close to the attachment points!

This year I got an Iwata airbrush and 'silent' compressor - I love them both.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Paul! Noted on the paints and cutter.

On the airbrush end, pls tell me about your compressor – is this also from Iwata? The price range in compressor offerings are confusing me. An Iwata Smart Jet Pro retails around $350, yet a similar spec’d compressor can be found on Amazon for $75. I assume that the cheaper option won’t last forever, and I am not a fan of buying something with a planned obsolescence of a couple years – there’s enough trash on this planet already – but, the price disparity has me scratching my head. What did you do?

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Ammo brand is pretty much the same as AK products, I really can’t tell the diference when using them. These brands are not my first choice, but their weathering products are very good, just take notice that they sell the same base products with different names in their catalogues, often in some “special” area of use, just browse their catalagues with a sharp eye and you’ll see what I mean. In Tokyo you are in a heaven for modelling, go for Gunze, you can’t miss

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Pedro's right, in Tokyo you might struggle to find the European and US brands such as MRP and Mission but you have Mr Hobby, Mr Color (Gunze) and Tamiya - great quality and performance I am sure you won't have too much problem.

Airbrushes/ Compressors - I started with a cheap chinese set which worked well for a couple of years and died - but it got me started, while I got the hang of the basics.

You are in Japan so I suspect Iwata is probably your best bet and probably a lot cheaper than they are overseas - start inexpensive and experiment - it won't take long and you will start to work out what you want/need out of your gear and what suits you.

The best money I ever spent on airbrushing was a one day beginners course for a £100.00 when I was new to it . Best of Luck Curtis and Enjoy Yourself

• Profile Photo
    Harald Sydness said 4 years, 6 months ago:

A bit late to the show but nevertheless...
    I love my Dspiae 2.0 sprue nippers, they are incredibly sharp, and can minimize time spend cleaning up parts.
    Sanding sticks and papers. I go to the auto parts store and purchase 800,1000, 1500 and 2000 grit wet and dry papers, good for 99% of what I do, and then I use squadron sanding sticks, ultra fine to coarse.
    Excel blades and handles. I have multiple handles, and use separate knives for separate tasks, so that one is ultra sharp for masking tape, 1 for scraping and cutting plastic, 1 for decals and so on. Blades gets changed as soon as any sign of dullness occurs. they aren't very expensive, and a 100 pack will last for quite a while!
    Paints is whatever floats the boat. I have lots of Tamiya and Gunze acrylics, as well as Vallejo, Vallejo model Air and Mig for airbrushing and detail painting, and I started with some MRP, but I don't have an extractor and they are smelly, so I cut those quickly.
    Airbrush and compressor, I have an Iwata HP-CS, Iata Neo, Badger Sotar 20/20 and Badger 200 bottom feed. With a silent-ish compressor to feed air.
    I am a bit of a "magpie" when it comes to tools, and if it looks useful and fancy I'll buy it. I do have tools i have never used, and others that I can't be without, My dad always said you can't have too many tools, and good tools are half the job. So I'll likely add more...
    Cutting mats, very important. Keeps your desk from getting spilled on, and cut into, and can be changed. I have 3 currently, 1 small for cutting masking tape exclusively, 1 medium for light work, and a large one for my main modeling surface.
    A good desk... You need room, my only regret is getting rid of an old accountant's desk I had. it was excellent, and very deep so had lots of room, but it was quite narrow, and was stupendously heavy... Got rid of it in one of my moves and regret it to this day, but I do have a deep and wide desk from Ikea, with shelves that fit in it. and a smaller computer desk, all set up in an L shape so I have lots of work space, to hide stuff on!

Cheers, enjoy and have fun!