1/144 DC-9-33F, “Rand Viking”. (Airfix)

Started by John Healy · 29 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 6 months ago:

It took me awhile to decide on a subject for this group because I really like SAS liveries. I also like Douglas jetliners and SAS flew them all. I finally pulled this Airfix DC-9 from the stash after I purchased Lima November’s sheet for Norwegian registered SAS DC-9/MD-80s.

This will be my fourth go at this kit in almost 50 years. I first built one in KLM livery around 1976. A couple years later, I built one in Delta colors, and finally an Iberia example in 1993. This one will be one of the two cargo -30 models that SAS operated between the late ‘60s and early ‘90s.

The SAS Rainbow scheme worked well and stood out from other “white whale” liveries because it featured splashes of bright color and large, nicely rendered titles. I was sorry to see those colors go.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

This is an amazing entry, my friend @j-healy!
    The livery looks fantastic! really looking forward to see this classic kit tackled by your skills!

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 2 years, 6 months ago:

It will be an interesting build for sure, I am really looking forward to it! (And to finally get started with my entry…)

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Great choice, John @j-healy
    Looking forward to it being build in the SAS livery.

• Profile Photo

Construction underway. Fishing weights upfront and windows installed. I’ll fill around and cover the windows tommorow. No windows on this freighter.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice start, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo

Already some nice progress, John @j-healy.
    That weight should be sufficient to keep her nose down.

• Profile Photo

First round of filling done and second layer applied.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice filling jon, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo

Good filling practice, John @j-healy

• Profile Photo

Yes! Filling airliner windows is a good exercise, LOL. The kit itself is an original issue and fit really well. No seams needed any filler. Windows and sink marks at the locating pins are a different story.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Progress. I like Tamiya spray paints for white airliners. I gave it two light coats of Tamiya white primer, followed by a light and then a fairly wet coat of Tamiya Pure White. All from spray bombs. The wings and stabilizers are Tamiya Silver Leaf, again from the spray can. It’s a fine grain silver that’s not blindingly shiny. The coroguard inspar sections are decals from Liveries Unlimited.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Great choice, John (@j-healy). The white fuselage and the metal wings look like a good start for the decals to come.
    Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @j-healy!
    The corroguard decals look to do the job!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Great paintwork, John @j-healy
    Never did an airliner myself but seems difficult to handle them during the paint job.