Heller 1/72 DC-6B Super Cloudmaster

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 107 · 5 months ago · 1/72, DC-6B, Douglas, Heller, SAS
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Hi everyone!

This is my Heller-Humbrol 1/72 Super Cloudmaster, that I intend to finish in SAS markings.

The kit was bough many years ago "at an offer I couldn't refuse". Looks like it s time to be built has come, with the announcement of this great GB.

The kit comes in the typical nice top opening Heller box. Here's a look at the kit contents:

Heller molded the fuselage parts in white, probably to assist the builder in his whit paint application...

The decal sheet is big and looks well done (not extremely typical for older Heller and Airfix kits...)...

Instructions come in three big A3 double sided papers, stapled together. They are nice and clear:

I will try to do some initial work tonight, as to boost my mojo and gain momentum, then I will take my time, as m=too many projects run simultaneously and prioritization is of prime importance...

Cheers, SAS GB!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great kick-off my friend! Of course I also have this kit in the stash, along with the later re-issued Heller kit (all-white plastic) Regarding the lack of interior, a few curtains may do the trick, painted on the inside of the glass?. I shall try to remain seated untill the plane has come to a complete standstill at the gate, remaining strapped in. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Oh, that was one of my dream kits as a child. Really looking forward to seeing this finished!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @pikofix!

• Profile Photo

Starting off

I attached the passengers' windows from the inside of the fuselage halves, also assembled the tail planes:

Some windows will need some rework, as tads of glue have somehow attacked them.

Surprisingly, panel lines are recessed, looking actually quite good!

The smaller fuselage windows are not represented well by Heller, as they do not attach "flush". I will check some net pics, just to be sure. If so, I will replicate them with Clearfix at final stages.

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looks like a great project, Spiros (@fiveten). DC-6s were elegant planes, and the kit comes with SAS decals! Looking forward to the build so I can figure out how to build my SAS model.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @gblair!

This is a good, solid kit with recessed panel lines (at most places); it offers no passenger interior, though; also landing gear, including bays, looks simplistic, cockpit is sparse-ish and so on. Those might irritate some modelers, but I am OK.

Decals look nicely printed, but I am not sure about the blue: it might have looked lighter in reality...I will use these decals, anyway...

I did some progress yesterday, in order to gain some momentum: I painted the cabin innards black, in order to hide the emptiness...

.(..I assembled the engine nacelles... ...the wheels... ...and started to do some work at the props... .

Here is the project so far:

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Moving on...

Looking to be a candidate for severe tail sitting, I added 2 fishing weights at each fuselage half, just behind the cockpit bulkhead, which I secured by forming a styrene cage around them, gluing piece by piece with thin glue. Upon feeling solid, both "constructions" were "coated" with liquefied styrene, followed by matt black painting. The fuselage halves were then joined. Fit was so so.

The wings were assembled, fit was good...

...and were then attached under the fuselage. Fit left a lot to be desired here, a lot of liquefied styrene was used to fill them...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 8 months ago:

One can see you are qualified in aircraft structures my friend 🙂
    Such a fast progress that I am really out of breath. On another note the black inside will help the outside finish when you get to paint it - I think it will look a lot less "plastic" if backlit? Just a thought.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum!
    It has been quite some time since I glued some styrene, as I am into final construction processes lately, so I was really happy to glue some!
    You are quite right about the black innards; of course THE side note is that yours truly is lazy building am interior :-).
    Some ongoing progress is taking place, hopefully I will post it tonight!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

You're off to a quick start Spiros, @fiveten
    This Heller oldie is definitely in good hands to become a great looking airliner.
    Looking at the last picture, next to the coffee mug, this aircraft is still large in 1/72.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    Yep, she is a big girl!

• Profile Photo

Initial coarse sanding done, tailplanes added and liquefied styrene to (very) good use:

I went a bit far with nose weight, however the front LG looks solid, easily able to bear the extra grams.
    I have to confess the Super Cloudmaster has gorgeous shape!
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

The fuselage halves presented a long gap at the top, possibly due to warping. No matter how well they were glued, the gap would return after a "crack" noise, meaning that there were remaining stresses. I thus went on and just filled the gap with somehow thick liquefied styrene, followed by thinner one. Here is the final result, stress-free:

Liquefied styrene to the resque!
    Thanks for stopping by!