Heller/Humbrol 1/72 Douglas DC-6B Super Cloudmaster

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 317 · 1 year ago · DC-6B, Heller
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Just before the closure of submitting new entries, I received a great message from the originator of this amazing group build. The answer to Erik's (@airbum) question of being interested in participating this group build with a Heller DC-6B was very simple, ofcourse a yes without doubts.

With this opportunity I immediately started to create this entry so that I will be able to participate with my first ever airliner.

Once more a big thank to Erik @airbum for letting me build this excellent aircraft within the SAS75 group build.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 8 months ago:

My pleasure John - after all it was one of my (many) surplus kits. Looking forward to be seeing this one finding a good home!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

An amazing entry, my friends @johnb and @airbum! Could even be combo-built with mine 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

@airbum, she is definitely in good hands and will get a primary place on the shelf.

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros. First time to built an aircraft without a camouflage scheme.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

This weekend I received a large parcel from Denmark.

Erik (@airbum), did sent me this amazing Heller Douglas DC-6B Super Cloudmaster.

A really appreciated gift which will for sure be build with enthusiasm.

Even included are white metal engines which do look much better than the original ones.

Next pictures show the contents of this box.

I was really surprised by the size of this aircraft, even in 1/72.

Compared to my current B17 build, the Fortress is just a tiny aircraft.

This will be the first airliner I will build, so quite challenging I would say.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

What a gift from our friend @airbum, my friend @johnb! Looks great in the box and the extra engines are the icing on the cake!
    Looking forward to your build and, if course it will be an honor if you decide to make it a combo build with my already started same kit within this SAS Group!

• Profile Photo
    Wes Pennest said 1 year, 7 months ago:

There must be something in the water, because I've been planning a DC-6 project of my own for a while. I wasn't going to go nuts with it but after I got the kit off ebay I found a bunch of the parts were either missing or destroyed, so that idea went out the window. I'll be watching your work with great interest. Tell me, do your wings and horizontal stabilizers have kind of a rough texture? Mine do, it's almost like simulated woodgrain.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros. I keep on wondering how to deal with such a large model while painting.
    @avispa93, the wings and horizontal stabilizers do indeed have a sort of grain texture on them. It looks very nice to be honost.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

John @johnb, the engines were bought many moons ago when the kit was new - I suppose there are plenty resin ones to get, but as I had 8 of them you got 4 for your build. They may even add a little weight in front of the CG to help avoid tailsitting - though some more surely will be needed.

Wes @avispa93, this kit has been re-issued and should be available new if needed, but if the major parts are in your box, hopefully the rest should be possible to scratchbuild?

Have fun gents!

• Profile Photo

@airbum, thanks, Erik. The nose compartment is sufficiently big to add ome weight.

First steps on the Super Cloudmaster and first steps on my first airliner.
    When I put one fuselage side on the bench and compared it to my, currently in progress, Flying Fortress, I was amazed by the dimensions. A Fortress in 1/72 is quite big, but the DC6 makes it look small.

Starting with the interior, the parts were seperated from the sprue and some flash was removed from them.

The interior parts and part of fuselage halves were painted light grey.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

I knew it was big - just not that big! Good to see some progress on this nice airliner!

• Profile Photo

Great start, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

@airbum, thanks, Erik. Indeed a beautifully shaped airliner.
    @fiveten, thank you, Spiros. Just went through your thread and noticed your approach on the black interior, would like to copy that approach, if that is ok with you.

• Profile Photo

Of course it's ok, my good friend @johnb! In fact not only is ok if you "copy" anything from my stuff, but it is also making me feel proud that my job is of some use!

• Profile Photo

This is the Greenlandair scheme that I'm aiming for. Thanks to Erik @airbum for submitting the decals.

Masks for the windows will be of great help also.

In the mean time I did some work on the cockpit part.

On most of the pictures found on the internet, the pilot seats are blue, not sure if that was the case as well for the Greenlandair aircraft, but likely this is the color used out of the factory.