Heller/Humbrol 1/72 Douglas DC-6B Super Cloudmaster

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 317 · 1 year ago · DC-6B, Heller
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

This is a great interior, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

I think you are safe to go with the blue. Looking forward to the exterior as well!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 7 months ago:

This looks like a massive project, John @johnb, looking forward to watching your progress. Those seats look very smart, maybe an IKEA original design!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros

@airbum, thanks, Erik. The exterior is quite another challenge.

@chinesegeorge, thank you, George. It is biggest project I have worked on so far. Not sure if IKEA already existed when this aircraft was developed. But they do indeed look smart.

• Profile Photo

Used the idea of Spiros, @fiveten, to paint the interior black so it would not be to obvious that it is quite empty inside the fuselage.

Side window transparencies mounted. Not easy to notice, but they are there.

• Profile Photo

Nice transparency job, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Looking forward to your airliner, John (@johnb). This will really build into a nice model. I have a couple of these floating around somewhere, as well as Heller's L-749, L-1049, and an EC-121. The biggest problem with these kits is they are almost too big to display.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros
    @gblair, thanks, George. Till now the fitting of this kit is quite good. To close-up the fuselage, I think about using some extra guidance strips. Finding a suitable display location is another challenge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

These long fuselages can be tough, John (@johnb), especially when the weight of the wings and engines start to be a factor. You can use some strips of plastic glued lengthwise to help with holding the fuselage halves together. You want to create just a narrow shelf for the other side of the fuselage to sit on. If it is too wide, it will need to be curved to match the curve of the fuselage.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great subject, John. I like seeing Douglas airliners built.

• Profile Photo

@gblair, thanks for the advicee, George.
    @j-healy, thank you, John

• Profile Photo

Side windows are masked and guidance strips are applied to one side of the fuselage to get a better alignment when glueing the fuselage halves together..

• Profile Photo

Superb steps, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Those guidance strips do indeed look like a good idea, John @johnb. How did you cut the masks for all those windows.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Very nice progress on your first stroll down civvie lane @johnb! I can see why the extra locators are needed with the distance between the kit ones.