What to make? (SAS75)

Started by Erik Gjørup · 35 · 2 years ago · SAS75
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Well, Erik, if the connection is a Boeing airplane, I might be in luck! I worked on the 727 at Continental Airlines as a mechanic for a few years, then ended up running the entire fleet from maintenance control for quite a few years more. Also worked the 737 and DC-9 / MD-80, but they're not nearly as elegant as my old two sevens...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Sorry to say it may be a bit too far to make a connection. I shall try to think one up for you. Perhaps an airline that SAS owned/helped start operated 727's. I'll get back to you @jetmex.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Cool pictures and great info. For what it's worth, one talented modeler recommends Gunze H5 for the blue on the vertical stabilizer of the most recent SAS scheme. Looks like a really good match to me out of the bottle. He also uses some amazing decals for the cabin windows that have extraordinary detail (some windows with sunshades pulled down, etc).
    https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235090891-sas-a320neo-new-cs-1144/

• Profile Photo

Thanx for the link @coling - those Authentic Airliners decals are great. I do not know if Xtracolor has the shade yet, but they did make the SAS red/orange (as well as some other special airline colors), so why not? The Gunze will of course work fine.

• Profile Photo

@jetmex - I have found the connection! If you make a Transair Sweden 727 you are within the scope of the group! I found a nice homepage to research the planes on; http://www.transairsweden.com/history/

The first new Boeing 727 was delivered in November 1967, followed two weeks later by aircraft number two. It then took until September 1968 until the next aircraft, SE-DDC, arrived to Malmö. This aircraft was of the “convertible”-type. As such it was equipped with a large door for cargo. The same year started a co-operation with Scanair, SAS’s charter company at the time. Through several agreements Transair became a partner to SAS. The airplanes were now owned by another party but Transair was obligated to care for maintenance. An agreement valid for 14 years were signed by the two parties with an option to cancel the agreement after half the time. This option was used by SAS in 1974.

So a Transair Sweden 727 will fit into this GB perfectly!

SE-DDB at CPH in 1978. Hope this helped - have fun!

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Erik, that A321 photo with the emergency vehicles was taken on the 5th of June 2010.

• Profile Photo

Thank you @pikofix. I will see if I can dig something up!

• Profile Photo

Reading all these updates really took me down memory lane. My wife’s first ever flight was actually a SAS flight from Kastrup Copenhagen. I don’t remember the type or the date anymore (it was in 2013, either an Airbus or CRJ900)
    On the way home we had the retro painted Airbus for sure.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 9 months ago:

My problem With the GB scope is that I.have never built any civil plane (at least passenger planes), so no kits, decals, paints etc etc. last but not least I have no idea what’s out there that can be made from SAS, any hints Erik?

• Profile Photo

SAS had a great variety of airplanes in its fleet.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_operated_by_Scandinavian_Airlines

Many of the older ones had simple liveries, natural metal, or white. I believe you can find a nice looking plane from that period.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Here is one I would do if I had a bottomless wallet (which I don't). $65 Cad incl shipping on eBay - rather a lot for a small model. I have always liked the DC-9/MD80 series. There is something friendly looking about that slightly longer, pointier nose. Like Snoopy. Anyway, this is a lively SAS scheme. Maybe someone else would like to take it on. Decals are in the kit, apparently.

To further answer Pedro's inquiry @holzhamer, I empathize as an airliner newbie. I found a lot of ideas by following the Wikipedia entry Erik cites - which shows a pic of each type in SAS service. I then Googled each type that interested me with something like "A320 SAS" for photos of the real thing or "A320 SAS 1/144" for a possible model. Doing the search with Google images or video helped and led me to many builds, which often suggest paints and decals to use. I did something similar on eBay to check availability and prices of kits. Found a few more that way that Google hadn't shown me. In the end, I had a lot of fun and realized airliners would be a neat quick build experience which might also not be too expensive, depending on the kit.
    Here is a cool website with excellent model builds. The SEARCH function allows you to search for SAS airliner model builds.
    https://www.airlinercafe.com/photosearch.php?air=20&cat=3
    I hope this helps.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Cool! Now all I have to do is find a kit. The supply of Minicraft, Airfix and Revell 727's seems to have dried up over here, no one has any!

Maybe RC...:-)

• Profile Photo

Lots of great stuff folks! - thank you all for that. Might I remind you that as long as a plausible connection can be made it will be allowed! DDL is after all the oldest aitline, and thir early planes even includes war-surplus Avro 504´s, or how about a Ju 52/3m on floats? There are many to choose from and they do not need to be modern alu tubes (no offence - they are nice) If it is "modern classics" you are after, how about a Coronado - such great looks!

There are even the big flying boats to choose, or if you want small semi-modern a Super Cub in full SAS colors. If any doubt about a project you are welcome to PM me and I shall do my best to undertake some research. Hope that was good foe some ideas? (@holzhamer and others)

Have fun!

• Profile Photo

Just dug up another surprising connection that falls under the scope here; The Biafra airlift! Some of the planes used in the airlift were former SAS planes. One such plane was Douglas DC 6 c/n 43124 SE-BDF. This aircraft was delivered to SAS as “Alvar Viking” in June 1948. Another one was Douglas DC 6 c/n 43130 SE-BDM Delivered to SAS as “Anund Viking” in May 1948. Both took part in the airlift while being on icelandic register for Flughjalp. The last one, as TF-AAE was destroyed by rockets at Uli Airstrip in Biafra on 2nd june 1969.

I have not been researching other of the participants, but surely some more SAS connections can be made?

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 8 months ago:

LN-Decals just launched their new DC-6 sheet with two LN-, 1 SE- and one OY- registration. Should be a nice upgrade to the Heller kit?