MiG 21R - Syrian AF late 1980's

Started by IAN JACKSON · 31 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Hey folks...

Hope it's OK, I jump-into this GB with this kit. Pulled it from the stash a week or two back, found five AM decal sheets in the box, most of which I'd completely forgotten about, (love it when that happens).

So building right from the box as a machine from the late 80's early 90's with a pair of R-60 'Aphid' missiles along with the recce pod & (compulsory ?) drop-tanks. So many countries and so many schemes for the MiG 21, but this sand/grey/green over pale blue seems to be unique to Syria so lgoing to roll with that - unless I completely scr*w-it-up and then I'll do it differently !

All for now, have a fantastic Christmas & New Year. Cheers from a very warm & sunny new Zealand.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Another great entry, my friend @ij001! Nice progress already! Yes, I believe the drop tanks were practically compulsory, in order to give the bird some much needed extra range.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great entry, Ian @ij001
    Sometimes forgetting things can lead indeed to positive surprises like with this box.
    Looking forward to see it build with everything attached under the wings.
    Merry Christmas.

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Update:
    Lots of sub-assemblies together and painted. Ready to bring the fuselage halves together.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Coming along nicely, my friend @ij001! Happy 2023!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Very nice progress, Ian @ij001
    The interior and ejection seat look great.
    Happy New Year.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Mig 21s are always cool, Ian (@ij001). I don't think I have seen this paint scheme done before. Should look nice when done. I hope you have a great New Year. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

Thanks folks, so here's where I'm up to right now:

The 'build' is pretty much complete, all the sub assemblies that can be built-up and painted/weathered have been, including the undercarriage components. After I primed it yesterday (Thu) morning with two thin coats of Tamiya grey aerosol, found that there was no extra filling/rubbing down needed so next will be some very basic pre-shading, but not for a while...

...off on (Summer) hols on Sunday so the MiG will be left for two weeks. More when we get back, all the best from NZ, and big thanks for the support.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Excellent model, Ian. I’m a Mig-21 fan too.

• Profile Photo

Looks great so far, my friend @ij001! Have a great holiday!

• Profile Photo

Looking great indeed, Ian @ij001
    Enjoy your well deserved holiday.

• Profile Photo

Back from the Gold Coast last weekend, managed to get some bench-time last night and early this morning - it's way too warm to be in the garage between 1100-1800.

Lots of pre-shading then basic tones followed with post-shading. Beginning to get that 'left out under a hot sun' look that I'm shooting for. Would love to get some feedback, what do you folks think so far ?

Cheers

Ian.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Love the faded painting result, my friend @ij001!

• Profile Photo

To me the fading effect on the paint does look perfect, Ian @ij001

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looks the part to me, Ian. Great progress.