Saab RF-35 Draken, Royal Danish Air Force, Hasegawa, 1/48

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 13 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Danish, Draken, Hasegawa, Saab, Saab 35, SUAF GB
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Hi everyone!

First, i would like to congratulate our Admin Michel @smrjpaqu899 for his great idea to create and run such a great GB!

Started this topic at the "Work in Progress - Aircraft" Group 15 months ago, but had not done any progress. I thought it would be a cool idea to transfer it to this more dedicated GB!

The Draken is an amazing machine, known for, among other things, its many "firsts" within aviation. It was the first Western European-built combat aircraft with true supersonic capability to enter service and the first fully supersonic aircraft to be deployed in Western Europe. Design-wise it was one of, if not the first, combat aircraft designed with double delta wings, and be capable of the Cobra maneuver. It was also one of the first Western-European-built aircraft to exceed Mach 2 in level flight, reaching it on 14 January 1960. It is reported that it could exceed Mach1 without Afterburners, at least in the prototype form!

This kit was sent to me by my good friend @airbum. Upon receiving it, I had decided to finish it as an all green Danish bird.

The Hasegawa kit looks perfect. Here are the kit contents, all excellent...

Since other projects got into its path, the Draken is still un-started. The plan is to start it not very long from today, as soon as some bench space will be cleared. By the way, here is the older thread:

https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/saab-rf-35-draken-royal-danish-air-force-hasegawa-1-48/?topic_page=1&num=15

More to come!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 5 months ago:

I’m looking forward to seeing this build up, Spiros. The glossy overall green on the Danish planes was a slick looking scheme.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Excellent choice Spiros! Beautiful plane, rare livery, and a nice kit. Looking forward to seeing the final result.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @pikofix!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

This amazing aircraft in Danish scheme fits this groupbuild perfectly, Spiros @fiveten
    Really looking forward to another great build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Drakens are always cool, Spiros (@fiveten). Looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Paquette said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Very cool. I always loved the Draken's exotic look.

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Excellent choice. Are you going to go for the box decals, of AR-108? If so, here are a couple of photos for you. One is a shiny and nicely evenly dark green one..the other a bit more ruffled

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/171810/AR-108
    https://www.airhistory.net/photo/371319/AR-108

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @stellan!

Yes, I am going for the box decals. Those pics are amazing, I am going to go for a just lightly weathered plane, so the first pic's looks are more or less what I will opt for.

By the way, I find the this one color scheme absolutely suitable for the Draken: since it has a gorgeous shape, it doesn't need too much flamboyance, the beautiful green shade brings out the Draken's exquisite looks in the best possible manner.

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Yes, absolutely true re the all over green machine. Same with F-104 and F-100 of the Royal Danish Air force. From what I understand the gloss was a way of protecting the aircraft as the Danes are operating in a very corrosive environment with sea water all around.