My entrie: Eduard bf 110 Red Mouth

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 44 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Your technique of highlighting the details in the cockpit and rear compartment just really pop Pedro. The BF-110 has always been an intriguing twin engine fast light bomber/heavy fighter/night fighter. Quite versatile, though somehow Goering hated it. Too bad for him. I only have the decent but old 1/48th Fujimi BF-110D with all the goodies to enhance it and a Pro Modeler BF-110G Night Fighter, which is the only build I have on the shelf of the 110 and thats it. I don't know about the plastic in the kit is it home grown Eduard's or molded by some one else? What is interesting seeing your work Pedro. Quite fascinating seeing some of your ways of doing things. Looking forward to the rest of this project. But I do need to pick up another 110.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 6 months ago:

This is looking very good.

I have used the Airscale decals before on a scratch built instrument panel that I made for the "middle" seat in a 1/48 scale TBF-1 Avenger that I had back dated to the early TBF-1 using the newer TBF-1C Accurate Miniatures kit for starters. These decals are a worthwhile upgrade for sure.

I can't wait to see what you have for us in your next installment... Keep up the wonderful work. Thanks for the update !

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Thank you for the feedback gentlemen, very timely and welcome.

Chuck, the Eduard line of bf.110 are all home brewed, and this kit is one of their earliest truly mainstream mould (if not the first?!), so it’s kinda outdated when one compares it to their latest releases, like the Spitfire, Tempest or the Fw190. Still it’s better than the Fujimi kit (believe it was reissued again by Italeri) and as good as the Monogram/Revell 110, but this one only for the late G variants, not these early C, D and E versions. The full cockpit will hopefully look good, lets see how it turns...

Louis, I probably missed those Avengers build, but much like you say I also found the tiny decals very handy and they do look accurate. Also used in this model are Airscale placards which add also some extra convincing detail to the whole thing. Thanks for keeping an eye on this thread mate!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Just to show how tight the fit of the cockpit is a add these 2 photos of the tub without glue.

The pilots office is already super glued to the radio wall that separates frontal and rear cockpit. The radio part is resin from Quickboost, a much better detail than the box plastic pieces.

Also mixed 2 sources to reproduce the rear facing MG15, by adding the gun barrel (again from Quickboost) to Eduard’s Brassin MG15 body. Still a lot of work to finish all this area, but my next update will be precisely when it’s completed. Thanks for watching!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good Pedro, nicely detailed !

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 5 months ago:

After an entire week away on business, I got some bench time today. This guy puts up a fight in some details, like the everlasting gaps in the rear gunner seat, a two piece part that as a really poor fit. Also begin applying the PE seat belts and the radio wall is finally complete. The control stick has a much too thin base, so I added some milliput to try to recreate a more to scale effect, thanks to my clumsiness I broke the grip, oh well

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Little baby steps here...the full bathtub is almost there, all that is missing (still not painted and weathered that is) are the control stick and the gunner main seat. Everything else is complete but not yet assembled. The dry fit of the fuselage halves shows a decent fit and with a cup of carefulness it will need little or no putty to get it good.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

One last dry fit test convinced me to glue the forward cockpit to the left half of the fuselage, thereby ignoring Eduard’s instructions that point to complete and glue the whole cockpit first and only then glue to the fuselage. This short cut also provides better insight as to where certain small parts should go, since the instructions are a bit vague. Using a good original photo of this area will also help. Another insight I gained is that I’ll be needing to add some detail to the back of the pilots seat, because unlike my initial expectation, it’s completely visible after the whole thing is done. Almost there now

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The cockpit is completed at least for this stage. Some details will only be added when the glass house is applied. Fuselage glued and drying. Some areas will need putty but nothing too serious me thinks.

My attentions is already turned to the two piece nose. Since I’m building it closed no interior parts will be used. Very noticeable and perhaps the most glaring missing detail of the kit are the blast tubes framing inside the lower nose part. You can see what I mean by comparing the raw part with the same part I modified on an older tentative build of this kit. The round shapes were made with evergreen tubes cut and shaped to fit...now where exactly did I stored those?! Thanks for watching

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer
    I have not stopped by to visit this build journal in a while, and you have really been busy with your 110. This is some amazing work. Brilliant idea with the Evergreen tubes cut to fill in the void open area near the cannons under the nose section. This is a trick worth keeping in mind for any future build ! I have often wondered about this myself... now I know. Thanks !

I'm looking forward to seeing your next installment ! In a few days I will get cranking on the B-24... I Promise. A few days ago I made another trip to visit my friends who restore "War birds", and I spent some time with the real B-24, just walking around and looking at various things and snapping some pictures. The rest of my MiG's are almost done now, and one is ready for inspection.

Keep up the good work !

• Profile Photo

Thank you Louis @ lgardner

Adding some half sliced evergreen tube is a very easy fix of that missing detail. To be honest I don’t think I came up with that solution when I first tackled this same kit back in 2011/12 or so. Believe I read it somewhere and it worked real easy.

The cockpit really takes up a lot of time if one wishes to get it done at its best, but then again all eyes will peep to the large greenhouse this fighter has, so it’s time we’ll spent. The only area where I know trouble awaits is the fitting of the engine nacelles to the wings, their fit is just terrible, worst than the nose pieces which aren’t that great either.

Looking forward for some inspirational work on that Liberator my friend

• Profile Photo

After a very busy week, I finally got some time to get back to the workbench, and I picked up the bf.110 where I left it... the MG FF 20 mm openings

Slicing a hollow evergreen tube in half, then trimming and thinning it was enough to replicate the oddly absent parts of the gun openings

After that I glue the lower half of the aircraft to the fuselage, trimming away an insert rim that prevented a good fit.

The upper nose will be attached as soon as I apply some white tack inside as to provide a bed in which the 4 MG guns will rest, since I want to add them only after the model is fully built & painted

Some putty and Mr Surfacer are needed here and there, not too much as you can see

Next stop wings

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 4 months ago:

It’s finally starting to take a familiar (and rather creepy) look. Wings and elevators assembled, with the right angles

Fairly large gaps occurred in the wing joints so I added some plastic sheet strips and will add Mr Surface 500 still. Since the angles match the fuselage I’m pretty confident that when it’s done no one Can tell there were gaps there.

As you can see the engine nacelles are also prone to gaps with the added problem if uneven surface match. The cure for this will be adding some plastic bits to level them up and also strips of plastic to fill gaps

Sanding and some more sanding is almost here, and this is the part of our hobby that really doesn’t thrill me a bit... Bet I’m not alone with this

• Profile Photo
    Glenn Virgo said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Some serious skill here. Lots of work involved in this one. Looking good.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 4 months ago:

You have definitely made some wonderful progress. It seems that once the fuselage was completed, it really goes together fast. The cockpit looks very realistic, even more so now that it's all assembled together. Those details on the wheel wells are also nice ! Very nice indeed... and I'm not a big fan of sanding either. My favorite part, besides the research, is adding the decals and final little bits at the end. You are hitting a home run with this one... Knocking the ball right out of the park. Well done !