My entrie: Eduard bf 110 Red Mouth

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 44 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks for feedback gentleman!

It’s really interesting comparing the technology and engineering of these moulds, that date back 12 years, so not that old, and compare them to current moulds this same maker delivers today...it’s a giant leap indeed. If Eduard hypothetically decides to launch a second generation of this bird, I bet they would keep the extreme detailing of the cockpit, perhaps adding a bit more in other parts of the kit, but the main difference would be the ease of assembling, ah this kit gives a fight, but I like it 😉

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Real master model work Pedro!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 3 months ago:

So I resumed this weekend the work on this project, the only one that will fill my work table until late February at most, because I really want to finish him before the deadline extension.

Anyone who has built this kit knows that the engines have a mediocre fit to the wings, resulting in either large gaps and/or steps in the mating surfaces of both pieces.

I went using a previous method I first tried on an earlier 110, glueing some stretched plastic rods and some evergreen bits on the inside bare part where the engine piece will “sit”.

A lot of dry testing, sanding and cursing managed me to get the engines sitting perfectly align with the wing surfaces, and only having some gaps to deal with... not bad I said to myself! Then I noticed that a step persists at the top rear of parts junction

so some putty and patient sanding will come later. Also there is a small lump present in that area that Eduard completely overlooked, so I’m doing both actions in one move.

The gaps are filled with evergreen plastic and glued by capillary action of liquid glue, easy does it. The smaller sized gaps will be dealt with putty.

After the tedious part of sanding and rescribing I plan to add some extra rivets to specific areas like fuselage and tail plane, just to bring the kit to a more modern à la Eduard mould.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Coming along nicely Pedro !

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Ok, not dead yet, but it’s been a slow build mostly because of lack of modeling time in my life lately but also due to the several areas that need to be detailed/corrected before engaging further down the painting road.

Managed to complete to wheel wells, adding some scratch details to make it more busy.

My source for those came from drawings in the invaluable book from John Vasco about the C,D and E versions of the bf.110.

Wing radiators also completed and made a small adjustment to #3 MG gun aperture on the nose. Eduard made them all oval when this one clearly is not, a simple but sharp blade does the fix.

One month to the deadline and I feel lagging behind...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

This is amazing. By making the one little change in the outline of the nose mounted MG it looks really great. It’s the little things that add up into a great model. Your additional work on your wheel wells is also looking fantastic. Much better than the stuff that was supplied in the original kit box for sure.

As far as the deadline coming up, I feel your pain. I made a little progress with my B-24 today, but it’s not even close to being done yet. Like you I also have not had much time to spend at the work bench.

Hopefully it will get better.

Thanks for the updates. It’s really looking fantastic. I’ll bet it’s looking even more realistic once you start spraying the paint...

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 2 months ago:

@lgardner- Louis, small details can create a better illusion about the model, that’s true. But there are so many small details missing from this one that only a die hard river counter modeler would fill them all :-)) still I have my share of OMD (no, not that eighties pop band!) and tried my best to add at least some.
    Riveting- added a bit all over, complementing those already in the plastic- mainly top surfaces of the wings... Eduard stoped there

Top engine blisters and a curved protection plate for the air intake located on the starboard engine, a feature present on late C models onwards, and quite visible on the photo of Egrets 110

The fun part is almost here...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Wow Pedro ! @holzhamer

The extra rivet details you added made a good looking model look great ... I like what you did here. Just enough, and not too much. It's perfect. I'm looking forward to the paint, which looks like it's about ready to commence.

What did you use to create these rivets ? I have two of the "Rosie the Riveter" tools with the small roller wheels. I really like how they work. Prior to that, I had to do it the old fashioned way by hand... one at a time. But they never turned out as nice as what you can get done with the specialty tools. Now I wonder how I ever did it without them. I'll have to start saving up some money for a few more of them in different sizes. Another tool I would like to get is a H&S airbrush with the .020 or smaller tip, so I can start doing some better German mottling work. Isn't that what you use ?

My Iwata HP+C plus is great for painting, but the needle and nozzle size only goes down to .035. It's hard to get a Wellenmuster scheme or mottling done while using it.

• Profile Photo

Hey Louis @lgardner

The riveting was done with a rather inexpensive tool from Trumpeter if memory serves me well. I don’t have a Rosie, so I can’t compare both, but my tool is barely good enough for the job. Like your experience recently, these tools can’t reach straight angles so the patterns aren’t complete in areas, but who cares? I’ve started painting the wing crosses and unfortunately the river lines I added are barely perceptible under the paint layer. I guess I should have applied more strength while rolling the tool through the surfaces 🙁

As for the airbrushes, yes I use the Evolution line airbrush from H&S for years and won’t trade it for any other of similar price. You have 3 needle size available so it’s quite versatile and with the 0,15 mm tip and needle anyone can achieve fine lines of spray and mottling becomes a lot easier.

Thanks for the feedback mate! I’m rushing this build to get it done before the deadline, hope your B-24 gets done also 😉

• Profile Photo

Ok, only thing missing before paint is the frontal windshield of the canopy being glued in place

(still come bits to go there) and drilling a few holes for the under fuselage antenas. Masking the shark mouth was less complicated than anticipated

• Profile Photo

Got the frontal windshield in place

a lever for the lock mechanism will be added after all the paint is done, otherwise the masking tape I’ll use to mask the cockpit tube would just destroy it

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 2 months ago:

What can I say? Well done! Almost makes me wanna go from single engined Bf's to twins 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik! Try one, I can assure you that Eduard’s 110 is a far more demanding kit than their 109s, and not only because of its bigger size

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Today is last day of the Teeth&Fang GB and unfortunately I will not have my bf110 completed. This WIP will cease here thou the build itself will progress, so keep an eye within a couple of weeks or so for the highlights if you want to see the finished model.

This is how she looks right now

main painting and markings painted (some masks are still to be removed) still quite some weathering and black contrasts to do, plus the obvious missing parts to be added (canopies, landing gear, antenas and guns) the shark mouth needs some very minor corrections but I am very pleased with the way it turned out. Montex masks are cool, I just wished they used Kabuki paper instead of vinyl, but hey!

Thanks for watching, a full wrap up of the GB will be posted soon