What if RAF F111K SparkWeasel

Started by Ian Foulkes · 1 · 4 years ago · F111, F111K, Sharks Teeth, SpaarkVaark, SpaarkWeasel, what-if, WIP
  • Profile Photo
    Ian Foulkes said 4 years, 4 months ago:

I'm not a great one for what if projects, but when I read about the RAF's TSR2 being cancelled in favour of the F111 (which was then in turn cancelled) I decided I finally had a use for a couple of the 1/48 Academy kits...

This is the F111K "Spark Weasel". The RAF noted a gap in it's SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defences) capability. As it could not afford two aircraft for the role as per the USAF (Jamming and missiles), the RAF combined the two roles into one airframe - the result the SpaarkWeasel. F111K airframes with suitable airframe life left were converted with the "Spaarkvark" tail systems and "Wild Weasel" systems to engage enemy systems with missiles. This aircraft is meant to be the final flights at the airshow season after doing the rounds in America - so there will be plenty of "Zap" marks. The basic scheme is the final one the RAF used. It's still a "WIP" at the moment, I'm scratch building suitable mounting rails for the variety of missiles I'm planning to add...

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.