Eduard 1:48 Spitfire VC RAAF

Started by David D. · 73 · 5 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    David D. said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Got a base coat of Dark Earth on her yesterday. I used the Gunze Acrylics here H-72. Of all the DE colours I have seen this one is my favourite. It went on super glossy so I do apologize for the glare taking away some of the details.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Dark earth looks good to me, David @totalize

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Dark earth looks good, David @totalize. Look forward to your RAAF paint and markings.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Dark earth looks good to me as well, my friend @totalize! Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    David D. said 7 months, 1 week ago:

Thank you gentleman.

Okay. The camo of dark earth and Gunze H-302 green is more or less complete. Need to do some touch ups but I am pretty satisfied how it turned out.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 7 months, 1 week ago:

Not a complaint, David, but Australian Dark Earth and Dark Green are different colors than the RAF colors - something I was unaware of before RAAF boffin Peter Mossong pointed it out to me a few years ago. I'm attaching a photo of my take on one of Caldwell's Vc's done with the Victory Productions "Spitfire: Aces of the Empire" sheet, to show the colors for future reference. It's mostly that RAAF DE is darker - I have found Tamiya "Red Brown" is a close match. The "Dark Green" is close to Tamiya "Deep Green" and the "sky" color is close to RLM 65.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for your input Tom. The Gunze H-302 I used would be FS34092 Green. Gunze H330 is RAF Dark Green. The H-302 Green looks like a close match to the Green on your model but my DE is off. The DE I used is the RAF version. I think I have the colours you mentioned above. Are you also saying the underside is not Azure blue but more like an RLM 65? I will certainly try the Tamiya Red Brown.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 7 months, 1 week ago:

G’day David (@totalize) and Tom (@tcinla),

Tom is right about the diferences in RAAF vs RAF colours.

However, this aircraft would have been delivered in the desert scheme of RAF Dark Earth and Mid Stone over Azure.

The Mid Stone would have been over painted with RAAF Foliage Green (FS43092 is close) and roundels modified when received by the servicing unit.

It could possibly had a full repaint but I’d say this is unlikely given it retained its RAF serial.

So, I think you are on the right track, David.

(Not that I am in any way an expert on this subject).

• Profile Photo

If you go here:

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a58.htm

You can see that BS295 was delivered to Australia on 10 Nov 42 and allocated the australian serial A58-20, the 20th Spitfire in RAAF service in the SWPA.

As such it would have been rushed to Darwin with minimal repainting.

JL394, Tom’s build, arrived on 8 July 43 and was allocated serial no A58-210. This was Caldwell’s third and last mk V.

This one could well have been stripped and painted in RAAF colours. Evidently the RAF serial number has been retained, although painted in a light grey as per RAAF custom.

So, I think both you and Tom are correct in your colour scheme choices.

• Profile Photo

As a final comment (for now) and a plug for an Australian brand that I have recently started using (and for no other reason), SMS paints do RAAF Foliage Green, Dark Earth and Sky Blue paints:
    https://www.scalemodeller.com.au/

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 months, 1 week ago:

The final camouflage looks great, David @totalize

• Profile Photo

Yes, the underside color is close to RLM65. I used Tamiya XF-23 Light Blue.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for that input, @michaelt - figuring out what got sent to the front directly and what got repainted with the RAAF is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Michael this is very helpful. I think Eduard's research into their decals and paint schemes have been pretty good. This confirms it.

Cheers!

• Profile Photo

Michael, Do you ship to Canada for your Lacquers?