Monogram 1/48 P-39Q Airacobra

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 119 · 6 months ago · 1/48, Monogram, P-39, Pacific Theater, ProModeler
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Hi everyone!

This the ProModeler version of the venerable 1/48 Monogram Airacobra, that I intend to finish as Maj. Joseph Powell 's "Tarawa Boom De-ay" bird, as it stood at Marianna Islands in 1944. This kit had been given to me by a friend almost 20 years ago, together with some other kits that he had no intention to build, as he quitted building. So, what better idea than to build one of them every year and give it to him as a present for his name day, which is on March 25, so I have a timeframe.

Also, since I had the Eduard Profipack version of the Airacobra, I thought it would be nice to build it, as well.

Anyway, here are the kit contents...

...here are some shots from this morning's progress ...and here is the result so far... More to come!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Wonderful idea, Spiros @fiveten
    To build one as a surprise and one in parallel.
    Looking forward to both of them.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 2 months ago:

55 years later, it's still not a bad kit.

• Profile Photo
    Keith said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Excited to see the differences between the two kits.

• Profile Photo

Indeed, my friend @tcinla! Monogram did a wonderful job back then.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @greenterrorz! Eager to see them too!

• Profile Photo
    Doug Humphrey said 1 year, 2 months ago:

So I take it this is monogram's older P-39, with extra pieces to make the Q version?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Spiros Pendedekas (@fiveten)
    You are on a roll my friend ! 🙂

I have 3 of the old Monogram kits that I had started about 6 months ago, so I will definitely be watching for updates on these two.

At the time, I wanted to build some P-39 / P-400 planes. So I started working on them and did some research on the type. Unfortunately something came up, (spinal surgery) and I didn't get any further than what you see here.

I have assembled the cockpits and cleaned up / assembled the fuselage halves, so they should go together fairly quick. I wanted to make a Pacific P-39 / P-400 model, and also one from a nearby somewhat local Florida based WW2 Army training field. The last model of the trio would end up as a Russian Lend lease aircraft. That was the plan anyhow.

Mine are from the 1989 edition, and they were part of the Confederate Air Force / Ghost Squadron release.

I have not built / completed one of these Monogram P-39 kits since I was a kid, and that happened somewhere around 1974 / 75 era when I built a Monogram White Box version. It had decals for "Hells Bells" and if I remember correctly, it had a large shark teeth mouth on the nose, was painted in British colors with US insignia, and "US Army" under the wings... Those were the days !

Several months ago I picked up this book "Pacific Profiles Volume Six" by Michael John Claringbould. It covers the P-39 / P-400 Allied Fighter units that operated in the South and Southwest Pacific during 1942-1944. It is a treasure trove of valuable information, and it is loaded with a lot of original photos, and it covers the unit histories in detail.
    It's also loaded with accurate well researched color profiles that were based on actual photographs and years of painstaking research as the author traveled to these various former battle sites.

You are a good man to build these kits as a gift for your friend.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @eydugstr! Yes, this is the 1969 Monogram mold, with an extra sprue containing, among others, the wing mounted guns and a photo etched fret.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @lgardner! Your Airacobras look superb so far, would be great to see you recommencing work on them! The book looks amazing!

• Profile Photo

Primary filling with liquefied styrene...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

The oil cooler exits are simplified but passable, however the central radiator exit not only is oversimplified, but also features a hole, in order to attach a transparent supporting rod, in case you have a tail sitter...

I attached a thin styrene sheet, to simulate the louver that is observed in reality... The empty nose bay was somewhat "boxed" with styrene sheets, as well...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Nice work on making it look more realistic, Spiros @fiveten

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!