Nichimo 1/48 Nakajima B5N2 Kate

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 122 · 1 year ago · 1/48, B5N2, Kate, Nichimo, Pearl Harbor
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Hi everyone!
    First, I would like to congratulate our Admin, Lieutenant @lis, for the creation and successful running of this wonderful GB!
    My entry to this GB will be the Nichimo 1/48 B5N2 Kate, that I intend to finish as a Pearl Harbor attack bird.
    More to come!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Welcome! I'm waiting for your build!

• Profile Photo

Aye-aye, Lieutenant @lis!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Great entry, Spiros @fiveten
    The Kate will be in good hands with you.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 4 months ago:

That's a kit that will really be in need of Spiros' Patented Magic Treatment Of Old Kits. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @johnb and @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Paquette said 2 years, 4 months ago:

I came across my build of this kit from more than 25 years ago while searching for my Glencoe Duck. Dusty and the painted tape I used for canopy frames were peeling. It'll be great to see a new build of this in progress.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @smrjpaqu899! It is a1972 mold! Unbelievable that all panelling and riveting is recessed!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Starting off...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Great to see this one going, Spiros @fiveten. Never heard about Nichimo, therefore really looking into the progress.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb! Nichimo is a Japanese company that made some very interesting kits of a variety of subjects in the distant past, a good effort at those years. The Kate has engraved panel lines, a well advanced feature at its time.
    Probably Nichimo are not active lately.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Having just picked up the very nice Hasegawa B5N2 Pearl Harbor release, which includes decals to do any Mobile Fleet B5N - but especially the markings of the Soryu B5N that killed USS Arizona and then was the last Japanese airplane shot down by a VMF-212 Wildcat in the last air battle at Wake - I think I will join this group build.

For those unfamiliar, the Hasegawa B5N2 is everything the Nichimo kit aspired to be but wasn't. (though as @fiveten will show, the Nichimo was advanced for its time and can still deliver something worthwhile)

• Profile Photo

Will be great that you will join this GB, my friend @tcinla, especially tackling the very nice Hasegawa kit (one of which you have already built and came up with your usual superlative result).
    Thanks for kind words and looking forward to your entry!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Looking forward to this build, Spiros (@fiveten). This should be a good challenge. I have this kit in the stash somewhere, so you can be the guide for building this kit.

• Profile Photo

Here is the cockpit in basic color. Instructions call for "bamboo green", whereas Hasegawa calls for "Nakajima cockpit color" (sort of beige-ish green) and the discussions on the definitive j-aircraft (but also elsewhere) talk, to my understanding, about a tan-ish/green-ish/beige-ish shade. A mystical experience by itself and by totally respecting all Researchers' outcomes, I went for Hu72 Khaki drill which dries to a light brown-green shade...

Might give it a green wash in the end. Thanks for stopping by!