P-40 - Defender of Perl...

Started by capt. R · 60 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Looking great @lis!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Lis, @lis
    Your P-40 looks very good indeed. The exhaust and wheels turned out very nice too. I like the colors you picked out for the OD-41 and Neutral Gray paint. I look forward to seeing your next installment.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 5 months ago:

I'm glad that You like my work ๐Ÿ™‚
    I found nice link about P-40:
    Curtiss-Wright P-40 Warhawk Production Color Photographs Partย III

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 5 months ago:

That is a fantastic resource Lis, one that I'll be sure to use when I build my P-40B. Your build is fantastic, ive been following from the shadows.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 5 months ago:

That is turning out nice, @lis, I really like the color OD you used. What type of paint are you using? The color looks great and looks like you got some subtle fading.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 5 months ago:

I am just now getting caught up with your build, @lis, and the P-40 looks great. Concerning the discussion about the Trumpeter vs the Airfix P-40, I have built the Airfix P-40 a couple of times and didn't have any trouble with the fit of the wings at all. Everything fit fine.

• Profile Photo

@luftwaffe-birdman Thank You! I used C12 MrColor OD and C13 MrColor Neutral Grey. Very nice paints.But I think I made mistake in propeller color.

• Profile Photo

@gblair I like your last P-40 too ๐Ÿ™‚ but you build in 1:72 or 1:48 scale? Mabye 1:48 Kit are better? I think I made mistake in propeller color. I suggested the existing P-40 "294" plane and the Curtiss Hawk construction files in the Chinese Flying Tigers version. Both had the propeller painted uniformly black. It looks like it should be silver (aluminum) on the front side. It's going to be hard to tell now...

• Profile Photo

@pb_legend I'm glad that you like it! ๐Ÿ™‚ During the construction, I learned a lot this time. New techniques, but also a lot about the types of the aircraft itself. I had a bit of a problem with the decals. Trumpeter did not have any technical marking scheme. After the analysis, I found that it probably has bad subtitles at all and I gave up on them (it was "on lift" and "on step on lift" I never seen such markings.). The technical markings of the AML, apart from the description "No step", were practically unreadable and I rejected them. I only stuck four "no step" and "first aid" labels on the flap on the side of the fuselage at the back.

• Profile Photo

After setting decals and second coat of clear. At this build firs time I used second coat of clear as gloss X-22 Tamiya. Decals from AML set was good but decals had quite shiny underlay, therefore, to compensate for it, I tried a second coat of X-22 Gloss, to even out the flash of the fuselage and decals. I did not use some of the technical markings, because they were unreadable, and this time I did not want to buy a third set of technical decals for one model. I think the AML decal set that I used for the Spitfire V fit better on the model.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hi, @lis. Sadly (for my wallet) I build in just about all of the scales, but mainly in 1/48 or 1/32 as I have gotten older. It is easier to see and manipulate the parts on a larger scale plane, but I will build a 1/72 kit if it is something that isn't available in the larger scales, or if it is large plane like a bomber. I also build ships, the occasional car, as well as some Star Wars and Star Trek kits. I also do model trains. I just dismantled my layout so it can move to my new house, which should be ready next month.

As far as the prop, I think it is one of those things that you will need to rely on photos or the guides that come with the kit or decals. I suspect that the prop may have been painted all black in some cases, but later only on the back, or perhaps not at all. The back was painted to prevent sun reflections off the metal into the pilot's eyes.

• Profile Photo

@gblair I admit that I suggested the original P-40 B from the museum, which for some reason has it painted differently (black) than the original from the period. Unfortunately, I confirm that in the AML set they suggested silver paint for the propeller - which I discovered after finishing work on it. While analyzing various designs of the P-40 aircraft on YT, I mainly watched the Chinese or RAF versions, where the propeller was all black (which has probably already happened in the US Army P-40 E model - because you can find some photos from the era and verify it).

PS.

But also some modelers in YT painted it black ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I don't think you can be wrong to paint it all black, @lis. The prop on my P-40B was the first I had ever painted aluminum, and that was only because some of the photos of P-40s used in training had an aluminum prop.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Decals look nice, Lis @lis

• Profile Photo

@gblair it sounds quite logical, because in a combat unit it was rather impractical for the propeller to be so shiny.