Shake And Bake Pacific Jug

Started by Carl Smoot · 55 · 1 week ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 1 week ago:

That's a great start with the foil already, Carl @clipper
    Maybe I missed it, but what kind of foil are you using for this?

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks John (@johnb). It's plain old heavy duty kitchen foil from the grocery store. It's a store brand here in Texas (HEB), but I am sure they have something equivalent where you live. Even a small roll will probably last for years so it's very inexpensive.

For adhesive, I am using Microscale Industries "Micro Metal Foil Adhesive" . This is the same company that makes MicroSet and MicroSol detail setting solutions.

And this YouTube video (plus a part 2) will give you the confidence to try this out.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months ago:

@clipper, thanks a lot for sharing, Carl
    Seems like I have another challenge on my list which I definitely want to try.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 months ago:

Sorry for the late response here. Thanks everyone. I was starting to feel guilty about not working on the San Francisco, so I shifted back over to that. But I will continue to work on this from time to time as well.And although I really like the look of metal foiled models, it's not something I will do every time going forward. Mainly because it takes much longer to accomplish and I don't want to burn myself out.

One aircraft I will do in the future with foil, or at least a portion of it, is a Hawker Fury biplane. I just have to have that shiny metallic look on the forward fuselage metal panels! 🙂

• Profile Photo

I'm waiting on paint to dry on the USS San Francisco so I've added a bit more foil to the T Bolt. So far this hasn't been too difficult. Of course I haven't done any of the compound curves yet. I did add a couple of panel lines on the bottom so I could end the side panel foil on a panel line. Otherwise, I would have had to carry it over to the other side, which I am pretty sure would have been a mistake.

I think that most of the panels on the fuselage will be relatively flat since they would have been formed from flat aluminum on the real aircraft and wouldn't have been too crazy. Of course, there is always a need for compound shapes and manufacturers have to make these, but I think they prefer to keep most of them simple to save on costs and make it possible for the average worker to easily install.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months ago:

Looking awesome, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months ago:

Some nice progress, Carl @clipper

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). It's moving somewhat slowly, but steadily.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month ago:

Foiling is one of those things you really have to be in the mood for so I don't work on this quite as often as some of my other current projects. But in the back of my mind, there is always this voice telling me that I need to do some things on this occasionally, so last night and for about an hour today, I got some more foil work done on the fuselage.

For the first time, I encountered a compound curve section, albeit a small one, but nonetheless, it was there. I basically covered most of the remaining starboard side of the fuselage up to and including the part where it curves around the front behind the cowling (this is the compound curve area).

All in all it went pretty well as I took my time trying to stretch the foil slightly to conform to this curve. From what I have seen in tutorials, the trick to this is to limit the foil used on the following side of the compound curve and come back to it with a separate piece. In this case, there will not be a need to foil any further following the front curve, but the principal is the same, limit the amount of material that has to be worked following the curve.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

This trick seemed to have worked very well, Carl @clipper
    The foil looks amazing so far.
    I can imagine you want to take your time on this.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month ago:

Thanks John (@johnb). Ive also found that I have to resharpen the scalpel quite often to avoid it dragging when cutting the foil. It doesn't take long for it to get dull. All the cuts are on panel lines, so that helps to guide the blade, but you still have to watch for the blade jumping from the line.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

Indeed, a great trick, my friend @clipper! Looking fantastic so far!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

Outstanding job!

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 4 weeks ago:

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten) and Bernard (@lis). I'm pleasantly surprised that it's working out as well as it is. I was fully expecting it to be much more difficult. Of course, I haven't really gotten to the more difficult compound curve areas yet! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Today I did two tricky areas of foiling with both of the two requiring a second try. One area was the exhaust vent from the turbo under the tail. This wasn't two bad except the first effort did not have sufficient adhesive on the foil and wouldn't stay down, so I pulled it off and redid it.

The second area was the most complex curve so far that I have had to do. This was a hump over the turb in the same area. The foil had to conform all the way around and down the hump. The first try on this got about 75% of the way when the foil tore in an area that could not be repaired. So off it came and a second try was made. The second attempt was successful. It was an interesting experience because it required burnishing and stretching the foil downwards as I went.

I'm rapidly (well maybe not rapidly, but soon), getting to the point when I will have to stop foiling the fuselage and get the wings done and installed. This way I can do the areas that overlap the wing and fuselage at the same time.