Shake And Bake Pacific Jug

Started by Carl Smoot · 55 · 1 week ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Superb progress and great looks, my friend @clipper!
    Excellent job, especially on the tricky hum area!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Excellent work, even on those difficult areas, Carl @clipper

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Thanks Spiros (@fiveen) and John (@johnb). Now that I am doing this, it doesn't seem so much like Mount Everest climbing as it once did. It really just takes patience and a willingness to get through it. I am looking forward to the painting stage.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 week, 6 days ago:

I'm going to test a variety of techniques on some scrap parts to see how I can get the type of ALuminum finish I want on this Thunderbolt. I am after something slightly weathered, with a bit of a patina on the aluminum. I want to also see what kind of paneling effect I can get.So I have two Hellcat fuselage halves and a B-17 tail to work with. If I need more, I can cover more of the B-17.

My test plan is to try sanding and not sanding panels, clear and gloss coats, how decals look, can I mask and paint the markings, can I get a mottled aluminum look by using various shades of metallics over sprayed (I.e. post shading), and anything else I can think of. Once I have something I think will work, then I will use that for the THunderbolt.

There is still a lot of foiling work to do on the P-47, but I figured I can get started on testing so that I have time to experiment.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Hello again Carl.
    It’s been way too long since I’ve checked in here. I have just finished getting caught up with your progress. It’s looking great !

I have used Bare Metal Foil on a lot of my builds. Some of them have been posted here on Imodeler.

I have found that the foil has a lengthwise grain in it. I think it’s part of the manufacturing process. The grain runs lengthwise on the roll.

You can get different visuals by mixing the orientation of the foil as you place it on the model. Try turning the next foil piece 90 degrees in either direction when compared to the foil that you are working next to.

The foil will have a different reflective property that is noticeable when you look at the surface.

As far as sanding goes I would think twice before I did that. It’s much easier to simply scuff the foil on the roll before you apply it to the model. I would highly recommend using a Scotch brite pad in place of very fine sandpaper.

You can also knock down the shine a little bit by simply spraying a clear flattened coat on top of the foil. The more you spray the flat on top of the foil surface the more it will look like it is oxidized.

It will start to look like the aluminum has oxidation in it as you spray more coats on top of the foil. I recommend using something like a Future to seal the decals in as well.

You should also use caution when you are masking on top of the foil. If the tape is too aggressive and it sticks well then there’s a chance it will pull off the foil as you remove the tape.

Sorry I didn’t chime in earlier but I hope this helps you with finishing this up.

You’re knocking it out of the park !

I hope to stay up with your progress in the future.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Experimenting will get you there, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Always good to try first before working on the real subject, Carl @clipper
    Looking forward to your final choice.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Thanks Louis (@lgardner), Spiros (@fiveten), and John (@johnb).

The reasons and thoughts you stated Louis are exactly why I want to experiment first. I will try scotch brite in the tests also, although, so far, using 3000 grit sanding sponges seems to work okay. I am basing my approach to this kit on the video I posted at the beginning of the thread where the modeler uses Aluminum kitchen foil versus Bare Metal foil. It is quite a bit more robust and will stand up to repeated workings compared to the Bare Metal foil. At least that was my experience with Bare Metal Foil in the past. It's also considerably less expensive.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 week, 5 days ago:

I didn't get much opportunity for modeling today, but I did take time to try and figure out an experiment and test plan for the painting and weathering of the foiled aircraft. I wanted to be able to compare each step with previous steps as well as how they work with follow on techniques, all the while retaining the previous work in case something doesn't work out. Perhaps I am overthinking this, but it took some doing before I came up with a plan.

I am going to first concentrate on general tonal differences between panels, then on the mottled effect on bare aluminum that has seen some use. The basic tonal differences I am going to test are overcoating with matte clear coat, sanding with 3000 grit , scuffing with scotch brite, and applying various colors of very diluted filters (95% thinner 5% paint). The mottleing will be experimented using post shading and oils (as separate tests).

I also want to test how decals look after application, specifically the carrier film and whether or not I can hide this if it is a problem. I didn't start any of this today, simply came up with a plan to do so. I plan to get started this week (still have other modeling projects to work on as well).

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Sounds really interesting, my friend @clippet! Looking forward to the results!