1/48 Hasegawa Ki-43-I

Started by Woody Kubacki · 7 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Hi all, new to the group but not new to modeling. I used to model quite a bit in my youth and reached my pinnacle around 2005 when I stopped due to the usual reasons (work, family, etc). At the time I was airbrushing Model Master and Poly Scale with my Badger 150, but had no idea about weathering past some exhaust streaks and gunsmoke and all too random chipping.

I December 2019 I decided to get back into the hobby and pulled out my old stash, bought some glue and paint and completed some half finished models like the DML 1/48 Ho-229 Night Fighter and the Ba 349. It was then that I decided to focus solely on Japanese aircraft as I had always been interested since first playing Aces Of the Pacific and flipping that great manual all Games used to come with.

Anyway, the subject of this build was actually started in 2005ish and so it contains some mistakes that I don't think I would make now

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Unfortunately I don't have any build photos other than this one picture of the "completed" plane. One thing I would do differently would be to glue the wingtips to each wing half separately to eliminate the misalignment in doing so after the wings were glued together. Also, as I found out later, the -I didn't have a landing light, so lets just call this a learning exercise. 🙂

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Next step was to paint the darn thing. When I last actively built planes, I just blasted the paint on (un-thinned I think) without any thought to tones or paint variation. I knew about pre-shading the panel lines so I gave it a shot. Then onto the paint...can anyone spot the mistake? Yup, I painted my IJA airplane in IJN colours.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

So off to the internet I went and after much deliberation I ordered all of the AK Real Colors Japanese paints, along with the necessary Mr Color paints (Cowling color and propeller color). Here we go again. In the first image you can see the difference in colours, with Midori Iro on the left wing, and IJN D2 (Black Green) on the right. Quite the difference. I also painted the undersides IJA grey-green, but I think it should have been bare metal (a detail I probably didn't want to know about as I was terrified of bare metal finishes )

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Then came decals and panel wash. Boy were these nerve wracking times! I used Tamiya panel liner, and that went on fine until I wanted to remove the excess and used too hot of an enamel thinner (Testors, iirc). It took off some of the Tamiya clear coat but the paint wasn't affected too much, or at least not enough for me to fix it (I had low standards back then and wanted to get this under my belt).

And that was it, she was done and I was happy!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Welcome aboard iModeler, Woody @wkubacki! Yor modeling story is nice, great that you came back in the hobby from 2019 onwards! And, man, what great skills you have!
    This is a great Hayabusa! Excellent allover!

• Profile Photo

Oh boy, was this a challenge. I didnt mentions the trials and tribulations I had with the lower landing gear leg (they broke while re-painting the plane), figuring out how to mix and spray the clear coat, figuring out how the panel wash worked and how to remove it without removing the paint... I'm glad that I have another -I in the stash that I will build using the lessons and details I have learned building this one.