1/48 Hasegawa Nakajima Ki-27 [Nate]

Started by Tom Bebout · 17 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Had this one in the stash for quite awhile, time to open her up build her for this GB. Not a lot of parts so this should go quickly.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hello Tom !
    Welcome to our ever growing EoJ group build. You are going to like building this one and if things go properly for you, it will be together in the blink of an eye... Nice choice here buddy.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Looking forward to your build. I have had this kit lurking in my garage for a while.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Tom @tom-bebout! This is a lovely kit that I also had the chance to build as my first entry to this wonderful EoJ GB.
    Welcome aboard!

• Profile Photo

This guy is going rather fast, painted the engine in gun metal then dry brushed in chrome. All other parts were painted in chrome as well. I used copper for the oil cooler then applied a home brew wash to highlight some detail.

Intermediate blue was used for the interior, I tried to highlight some cockpit detail using black and then red brown for the seat back. The belts were made from tape and pieces from spare PE parts. Not much of this detail can be seen once the fuselage is closed up, but I know it's there.

• Profile Photo

This is going fast and looks superb, Tom!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Nice work, Tom.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Excellent ! This looks very nice Tom. I had a small problem with the oil cooler on mine. It kept getting broken off when I was taping the engine to keep paint from getting on it when I sprayed the rest of the air frame. When I pulled the tape off the engine, the cooler often came with it. In hindsight, I should have simply packed the engine with damp paper towels.

I like your choice of colors for the interior. Looks spot on to me.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Your cranking right along. Looking good, Tom.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

One more spatted bird! Sign me up.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Nate is definitely a popular subject here... good start Tom. Are you going for the plane depicted in the box?

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Engine and interior looking spectacular, Tom! Another lesser spotted bird!

• Profile Photo

Had a little issue fitting the cockpit in the fuselage I'll take the blame for it. Fuselage buttoned up, wings attached and this guy went to the paint shop.

She was sprayed with Tamiya AS-29, Grey Green, from a rattle can. Because that's what I had on hand as well as the call out from the Hasegawa instructions. After painting I attached the oil cooler per a suggestion from Louis Gardner. . Couldn't wait so I did a couple of decals to see how good they are, and I must say I'm impressed. They are thin and care must be taken as to not tare them. But they have conformed very well. Be back with more in a couple of days.

• Profile Photo

Excellent work, Tom. Decals look spectacular!

• Profile Photo

Almost done, the decals went done very well, especially the stripes, no issues at all.

I used Fundekal's stripe decals for the prop as I don't enjoy painting such fine lines. Will be posting the finished product later today.