Well I think it’s time for some updates. I buttoned up the fuselage and glued the wings, control surfaces, flaps etc,. No drama here except I had the slightest lip on the underside wing to fuselage join, something I can only blame myself for. I did a few rounds of sanding, mr surfacer 500/1000, sanding, priming with Mr Surfacer 1500 and more sanding until I think I’ve sorted everything out.
I thinned out the cowl flaps as well as they were far too thick. Then I started working on the landing gear, sanding the parting lines, drilling out the scissor links and drilling out and making round the loop at the base of the legs that are used as the up lock for the landing gear.
I’ll be doing a final primer spray tonight and clean up the model before I spray the aluminum chipping layer (trying out Tamiya LP-70 gloss aluminum) . I’m going to try two layer chipping, with aluminum and red primer as the bases for the chipping. The plane I’m making was a carrier based plane based at Bruin in the Solomons. I’m not sure how long it was at Bruin so I’ll constrain chipping to the wing roots/LG doors/lower fuselage (red primer) and cowl/access panel/propeller (aluminum).
8 attached images. Click to enlarge.