1/48 Tamiya A6M3 Model 22a

Started by Woody Kubacki · 62 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks Spiros @fiveten, it make look like this is effortless for me, but I can tell you it is not. There are a lot of missteps and do overs and swearing during my builds. A lot can be traced to trying to hurry up or skip steps, which never speeds the build along and only sets it back.

Case in point, I cut the masks for the hinomaru out of Oramask 813 and applied them to the model. I had issues with the tight curves of the fuselage and wing root fairing, which I didn’t pay enough attention to... well , I would pay for that later. First I masked the entire disc and sprayed it with a random coat of off white (C69) to get some variation in the coming coat of red. Then I sprayed red using the specific Hinomaru red C385 (C327 is a very close match to this) thinned with MRT 75/25 to slowly build up the colour and depth and not bleed under the masks.

• Profile Photo

Now I was getting cocky. I pulled off the lower masks / tape too quickly and it pulled up some paint, specifically the paint over the metallic chipping base that was covered in hairspray. This happens to me quite often, but it’s a bit of a pain to fix as you have to sand down the paint and build it back up to avoid a step in the paint. Fortunately the lower hinomaru looked great and didn’t require any touch ups.

The upper side was another matter. I got some overspray under the masks onto the white discs and also pulled up some green paint.
    The fuselage hinomaru were worse as there was white and red overspray and the left side red disc didn’t seem to be centred in the white disc. Odd, as the masks were cut concentrically. What I think happened is that when I added the ring mask for the white ring (to spray the red), it deformed along the curve. This is one of the main reasons I will be moving to Oramask 810 on curved surfaces.

So out came the masks and sanding sponges and the hinomaru and lifter paint were fixed. I’m not happy with the left fuselage hinomaru but sort of entirely sanding it all down to primer it will do. I spent the entire evening fixing my screw ups and I think that’s as much as I want to do.

Next up are the fuselage stripes , the amber grey rectangle for the data stencil, and the wing no walk lines. Let’s hope I don’t have to redo those .

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great recovery

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great recoveries indeed, Woody @wkubacki!

Yep, I believe the concenteric losses are due to mask material deformation, the slightest "off" shows immediately between red and white...

It is absolutely evident that you spend A LOT of quality time (tial and error loops included) in painting.

Kudos to your skills and persistence!

The final results reflect all this effort, being spotless.

Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Beautiful save! In the end the finish all comes down to patience - a skill I still have to get a lot better at. Thank you for sharing this information - a few lessons to learn, for me at least!

• Profile Photo

Stipes, bands and tabs are the subject of this entry. This Zero had two chevron style bands on the fuselage, irregular in shape due to them being hand painted in the field. The colour in the Tamiya instructions are more lemon yellow, but, after some discussion with Ryan Toews, I decided to go with the same colour as the IFF bands. I used Tamiya's excellent flexible tape to mask the bands, which was very time consuming to get the shape and widths right.

After the first night I was happy with them and left it to spray the next day, which was a good thing, it turns out. after looking at them and sharing some pictures with a friend, Ronnie, he suggested they were too narrow. It's nice to have an objective opinion sometimes, and Ronnie calls it as he sees it. After some measuring I agreed with him and re-masked the two outer edges while leaving the center one in place. I used Tamiya yellow tape cut to width on my Infini pad to space out the white tape.

Then mixing C69 off white 75/25 with MRT I sprayed the white base coat (10 psi I think). With such a thin paint and low psi you really get a lot of control of the paint, especially in such a small area. It keeps the Paint from running or getting under the mask. Then thinning C58 orange yellow in the same fashion I sprayed it over the white , trying not to create a solid layer of paint. Carefully removing the tape (and you do have to be especially careful with the white tape) showed a only a few over sprayed areas and some lifted paint. The overspray will be taken care of tonight with some light sanding.

I also painted the red wing no walk areas with C385 Hinomaru red, the aircraft stencil backing (J3 SP) and the underside trim tabs (J3 SP). Interesting to note is that the aircraft manufacturer's stencil on Mistubishi Zeros is painted on amber grey and then masked for the D2 Dark Green coat. on Nakajimia aircraft the stencil is sprayed over both paint layers. So that brings up the possibility that Mitsubishi painted the Zero red primer overall, and then J3 SP (amber grey) overall, and then the dark green. I'm not sure if this practice was ended later in the war as you start seeing a lot of A6M5s in very rough shape (and they look operational). I'm sure someone with more expertise could comment.

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 1 month ago:

What’s up Woody! Nice build man. Loving the chipped paint showing the red oxide primer. Those yellow fuse bands look like a nightmare to do. Haha. I’m getting the itch to build... it’s been too long. Cheers

• Profile Photo

@jmillan Dude! You’re actually the reason I joined, after seeing your build here I like the format of showcasing the process and the final result better than on FB.

Yeah man, get back to it, it was fun collaborating on the Ki-44s.

As for the masking, yea a total pain, but now that I have tried it once I have a better understanding of how to do it for the next time.

PS , can I send you the scan of the decal sheet so you can design, cut and send me some masks for the tail code? Lol, just kidding, I’ll probably end up using kit decals

• Profile Photo

This is super, quality progress, @wkubacki! After Ronnie's advice, your yellow lines look spot on!
    Love all your research on wing walk painting.
    Looking forward to your progress!
    P.S. Hi Jeremy @jmillan! Bring on your builds, my friend!

• Profile Photo

Something a bit more tedious today: landing gear weight indicator markings, or this colours on the gear doors. Masked off the are you be painted and sprayed it white, then C58. Then masked the red and blue with the same piece of tape (2x the width of one band) to make sure the bands were equal. One thing I learned is to make sure you have as few masking operations as possible. This worked for one door but the other had very wide red/blue bands and a narrow yellow one, so out came the tape and the yellow was re-sprayed (it looks more orange yellow than the other). End result doesn’t look too shabby.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great job, Woody!
    The yellows look not exactly same shaded only if you view them side by side.
    You are doing a master's painting/weathering job there!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

No sir, not shabby at all! Very nice work Woody.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros @fiveten and Erik @airbum , never underestimate my ability to mess something up!

Oh, and colours used were Red (C327), yellow (C58) and Blue (AK RC010).

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Woody, @wkubacki
    It has been a while since I have posted on here. By the looks of things, you are getting close to the finish line. I especially like how you have sprayed on what most would have used decals for. The painted markings look fantastic too. Keep it up !

• Profile Photo

Jeez, I haven’t posted here in a while. So to weather the airplane a bit I decided to try my hand at some post shading with Tamiya Buff XF-57. I
    Mixed 30-40 drops X20A with Xf-57 and lightly applied it to the upper surfaces to simulate wear due to the sun and crew activity. This was my first attempt ans I was a little heavy handed in spots, but those were corrected with touch ups of dark green.

Next up were the decals. Since retiring to the hobby I have not quite mastered this, nor did I need to as most of my markings are painted... but those small pesky stencil decals always gave me a hard time.

I applied tamiya’s extra thick decals and got them to set with Tamiya’s Mark Fit Strong. No slivering, fortunately, but the step between the decal and the surface of the model was huge. After some inquiries on the webs, I decided to spray clear varnish (Mr Color GX100 in my case) and then sand the surface smooth. I used 800 grit for the most part and then once the step was gone worked my way up to 3000 grit to smooth out the paint. Overall I’m quite happy with this technique and will use it in the future.

And that’s where I am tonight. The plane needs a few touch ups and then I can proceed to panel wash , which I plane on making using Oils and thinner.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.