1/72 Hasegawa A6M5c Zero

Started by Mike Licari · 18 · 3 years ago · 1/72, A6M5c, Hasegawa, Zero
  • Profile Photo
    Mike Licari said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Taking a break from Japanese bombers to build a fighter. This is just a little, simple kit, so I'm looking forward to something straightforward and quick.

Mike

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Straightforward and quick? - Sign me in for this one!

• Profile Photo

Wings and fuselage got taken care of today. The interior is simple: floor, rear bulkhead, stick, and instrument panel. There are decals for the instrument panel and the side console next to the seat. The rear part of the machine gun that fires through the cowl also attaches to the top of the instrument panel.

For reference, I've placed the A6M5c next to the Tsukuda A-1H Skyraider I'm also building.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

What a lovely sweet kit of this great plane, Mike @mlicari!
    Will become a small masterpiece in your hands.
    Following with anticipation. Great progress already.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

This is just what the doctor ordered... Sometimes we need a break from something that is complicated and it is refreshing to build something much simpler. You picked a perfect model for this, and it's going together fast... Looks great too.

• Profile Photo

More progress. A bit more of the assembly done, along with early stages of painting. The white is a base coat for the yellow leading edges. The "aotake" in the wheel wells is from Life Color.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Indeed, a clean and sweet build, Mike.
    Looks great so far!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Man, it is fast - thanks for sharing the quick and simple build - looking great!

• Profile Photo
    Mike Licari said 3 years, 10 months ago:

It's been a while since I posted, but I've made progress on this kit (and several others)!

The yellow leading edges on the wings will be toned down under a flat coat...they're gloss yellow right now.

I'm using Mission Models paint, so the process starts with a coat of their primer.

The underside is more gray-green than what appears in the pic, due to lighting.

The Mission Models green is pretty dark, but I think it looks good. You can see I need to touch up some of the exhausts.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Wow. You weren't kidding about quick. I took this long trying to figure out colours for the cockpit. I like the decal sheet containing lots of numbers allowing for different aircraft

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

That's great progress, Mike @mlicari!
    Your Zero looks magnificent so far.
    What a lovely sweet kit!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Nice!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Wow, I blink my eyes and all of a sudden there's a Zero... Man that was fast... and it looks great too.

• Profile Photo
    Mike Licari said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Quite a bit of progress over the past week...all the way to completion! Here are pics showing the decal stage and the finished kit.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

As mentioned before; Darn, that Zero is fast! Well done Mike, @mlicari.