A6m2 Tamiya 1/48 zeke

Started by Glenn Virgo · 49 · 3 years ago · The empire of Japan 1919-1946
  • Profile Photo
    Glenn Virgo said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Also engine done. Leads made out of 5amp wire.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Cockpit and engine looking marvellous, @glenn73! Have never done leads before, but I may try them next time, thanks to your pic tutorial.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo

Thanks spiros! You should definitely have a go just superglue in place and the 5amp wire bends easily to shape. Just that little bit of detail with highlights can make all the difference.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

That makes such a huge difference to the rather simple engine! Very nice indeed.

• Profile Photo

Your right Erik, this engine is so simple with not much detail at all and needed a little something.

• Profile Photo

Hello again. Lots of work going on in this group build. I thought I’d better get cracking. So looking at the engine I decided to move a few leads to the spark plugs. I was going to paint the moulded leads on the engines but they wasn’t very pronounced so I just moved the wires.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Then I got Started on the main frame. A few seam lines filled here and there. The PE parts Assembled and with the measurements I had to do lots of cutting and shaving to make these guys fit. These Eduards flaps are hasegawa ones but they fit just fine. A little bit of overlap but I can live with that. a light prime I could move on to the riveting. Not perfect but I’ll fill a few rivets here and there where Iv gone over the recessed lines. So just a little update. Cheers.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

I love the way engine wires look Glenn (I'm struggling with my PE engine harness at my Tsurugi).
    The Eduard flaps look great and are worth the effort.
    Your build is progressing perfectly!

• Profile Photo

Thanks spiros. Are you, They are very thin and bend all over the shop. But I’m sure your sort it out. And yes the flaps are worth it. Although bits were flicking off here and there while handling the plane. Cheers again.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

@glenn73 great update - the attention to detail in your build just won't stop! Keep those updates coming,

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eric! Very much appreciated. Will do.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 11 months ago:

These old Zeros were top technology back when they hit the shops, late 70s I believe, and the fit if parts is still better than some 2000’s plastic around. Your build is coming along very well indeed. The scope for extra detail is there and you are making it worth. Good job Glenn

• Profile Photo
    walt samardak said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Looks Great!

• Profile Photo

Cheers Pedro, your right this isn’t a bad kit really. It was very cheap so if I wrecked it while I was Re-scribing or riveting it wouldn’t be such a big deal. the only thing is you would’ve lost all that lovely invested time. I thought I wounder if I can polish an old turd. And so far it’s not bad. Hahahah.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Walt. Bit more tonight.