Aichi D3A1 "Val" Midway Island, Hasegawa, 1/48

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 92 · 3 years ago · 1/48, D3A1, Hasegawa, Val
  • Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Looking great, Spiro!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Thanks my friend @roofrat! Last night I did the nav lights, finished cockpit detailing and did some touchups here and there. She's almost done!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 12 months ago:

It is looking good, I have to admit, being over here in the US where newspapers are going the way of the Dodo Bird, I was surprised to see one on your work bench as a cover. But then, considering the state of newspapers here, its either that or use them to wrap fish. Nice work, I do like the weathering, it is looking pretty damn nice!

• Profile Photo

Thanks @luftwaffe-birdman! Slowly proceeding to the finish line!

• Profile Photo

Canopy is almost ready, some minor back and forth touchups to go...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Spiros my friend, I hate to tell you, but that antenna is way to big! 🙂
    That aside it is great to see it so near completion - the line is in sight!

• Profile Photo

Lol @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 12 months ago:

This is an AWESOME build Spiros and it is gearing up to be a WINNER from every angle you look at it. Well done!

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 12 months ago:

That antenna is WAY too big, better shave it down a bit. Otherwise looking really good.

• Profile Photo

Thanks @mornem and @billkoppos!

@billkoppos and @airbum: forgot to tell you: this is the 1/1 wood antenna used by Aichi in the original mockup construction!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Incorporating original parts is the way to go! 😀

• Profile Photo

Finalized and installed the canopy (I usually - not always - finish my models with closed canopies, as I like their shape more - hint: can hide my cockpit mess jobs too! - That said, I ADORE all those open canopy models that one can admire, among others, the cockpit details).

Fitted the 1/48 antenna mast (@billkoppos and @airbum...) and run an antenna wire made of streched sprue al the way to the fin top.

"Made" a tail light (or whatever it is, judging from the box art) with my PILOT silver pen, surrounded by a blop of future for a more "glazed" look.

Faired the canopy edges with white glue (thanks Tom Cleaver @tcinla for the tip).

Fitted the gunsight with a piece of "wire" made of streched sprue under it that ends up at the windscreen base, to look closer to the real thing (as master Koike Shigeo depicted it at the boxart).

Fitted the propeller (those polycaps work curiously wonderfully)...

...and called it done!

My beloved older (5) son Lucas (Luke) holding it.

I can viualise Lieutenant Takehiko Chihaya piloting the AI-251, leader of the 36 dive bombers that attacked Midway.

A presentation article will appear soon at the Headlines.

Thanks for watching, commenting and keeping up my friends! You made my build an extremely enjoyable process.

Now where's that Tsurugi PE harness?

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Mike Licari said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Nice! This is a great result of a graceful plane. I've always liked the planform of the of the Val's wing. Your finishing work is fantastic. Great result.

Mike

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 11 months ago:

I love that last photo Spiros, it is one of the reasons I build too. You've caught a great moment - Luke looks very content with the final outcome!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Mike @mlicari! and Paul @yellow10!
    Luke looks amazing indeed!
    All the best!