Aichi E13A1b ”JAKE” (零式水上偵察機), Nichimo, 1/48

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 191 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Aichi, E13A, Nichimo
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks Paul @yellow10!
    Will try for a rotating prop.
    Got a polycap to try as Plan B.
    Oh, and my inner cowling will likely be Aotake!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Aotake I used was lifecolor paint. I’m not a fan of water-based paints. And thinning it with anything else is difficult. But once it’s at the right consistency it lays down quite well.

• Profile Photo

Thanks again Paul @yellow10!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Now that you have the wings installed, this is really starting to look like an airplane. I especially like the lines of this aircraft. In it's own way it is an elegant design. I liked the picture you posted showing the wing and it's dihedral angles...

It's a very nice looking bird in my opinion. It's almost as elegant as most of the Italian planes were. The Japanese Ki-61 Hien is my all time favorite IJA plane.

Even though you have posted a small update, any progress is good... I'll be looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us next. Take care my friend.

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot Louis @lgardner!

Another update:

Modified the floor to sit higher, as its seat was too low.

Prepared the cockpit walls from sheet styrene and "busied" them with stretched sprue.

Glued the top cockpit part. Fit was so so, specially at front and back. Made an initial filling of those big gaps with liquified styrene, to act as bond, since I had my doubts about the front part bond strength.

Glued the homemeade cockpit walls. They kind of filled that empty space.

I also scratchbuilt the rudder pedals.

All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Marcus Vinicius Teixeira Borges said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Going on very well!

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Everything looks Jake. Keep pluggin'

• Profile Photo

Thanks @mvtb and @billkoppos!

• Profile Photo

Small update

Rudder pedals glued in place
    Started the construction of the seats.
    Rear gunner seat is smaller with a cushion, guess for better moving around(?)
    Val cockpit used as "reference".
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 10 months ago:

So basically you are scratching a whole new cockpit there, not just the floor... a kit within the kit my friend, good job!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Great progress here - love the scratchbuild parts!

• Profile Photo

Thanks @holzhamer and @airbum!

The Nichimo cockpit is a real joke.

To start it's 1/2 depth of what it should be (supposed to have the batteries under it!).

So, take a look...

A joke really.

Might keep the separating polygon frames, though. They don't look out of place...we will see.

In the meantime, seats are almost done, and I try to figure out the middle navigator's/bomber's office. ...got a spare bombsight from the Val and a console-ish box from the spares dungeon...also got some spare dials...hmmmmm, let's sleep on it!

All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Spiros, by todays standards this is not really good, but as a product of its time, and with high-tec spinning propeller - must have been rather amazing back when it was thought of? - and it gives you plenty of opportunity to get some scratchbuilding done AND reduce the contents of the spares box. A real win-win situation 😀
    Anyway, I love what you are doing to the kit here.

• Profile Photo

Thanks @airbum! The top cockpit cover was supposed to be left uglued, so it could be lifted (with the "half cockpit attached to it) to change the batteries!
    Lovely for its time indeed, and amazed that the rest of the kit is not underdetailed at all...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    You have made progress and what you have done looks good. I like your approach to solving problems. I do the same thing... not to sound odd, but I have dreamed about solutions to problems, and later the next day when I tried out what I had dreamed about the night before, the idea worked.

Keep plugging away, and before you know it you will have a completed "Jake" cockpit ready for paint. It looks good what you have done so far. I'm sure it will look even better once you are done.