B5N2 Kate

Started by capt. R · 120 · 2 years ago · B5N2 Kate Hasegawa 1:72
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 3 years ago:

I just recived canopy for B5N2 Kate. I wonder whether to buy the popular Hasegawa kit for $ 10-11
    https://www.super-hobby.com/products/B5N2-Kate.html
    or a limited version for heavy money ($ 35-70 on ebay: -o)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasegawa-Aircraft-Model-1-72-Nakajima-B5N2-Type97-Attack-Bomber-02013-H2013/392974021844
    . Maybe someone will help me choose? 🙂

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Hi @lis!
    According to stalemates, a very credible site, this is the ex-Mania kit. Both of your options share exactly the same plastic, the only seemingly difference being the decal options.
    The more expensive one should have fresh decals. If you plan to use your own decals, plastic is the same at both kits

• Profile Photo

If I checked well, the more expensive version has a 800 kg brass bomb in the set.

• Profile Photo

Yes, @lis, it looks like this is included, so for the higher price you get new, fresh decals and the bomb...

• Profile Photo

hard to decide. Regular wersion could have fresh decals. I think this kit is still in production.

• Profile Photo

The limited edition looks to be 2012 issue, the other one you found, most probably 2008 edition, though the 1998 carried the same box.
    Unless you really want the big bomb, I believe the cheap one a safe selection, @lis.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Finally I got the print scale decals. However, I gave up the Hasegawa model for technical and qualitative reasons of the kit and I will probably buy the Airfix.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Those decals look really nice, @lis!

• Profile Photo

I'm thinking about if can I paint this red and yellow stripes for better effect? I'm thinking about Commander Fushida plane.

• Profile Photo

I am nopt that brave to paint the stripes; I use the decals, when available @lis.
    The truth is, though, that well painted stripes are better than the decal... 🙂

• Profile Photo

The fruit of this afternoon's work. The greatest challenge was Commander Fushida, who had a distinctive mustache. The foundation is Mr Finish Surfacer. The uniforms are XF-64. Vallejo Game Hobby boots, H47 gloves. In addition, Weathering master set A, F, H. The total workload is about 6 hours of assembling, matching and applying a primer, and 8 hours of painting

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Amazing work, @lis, unbelievable for this scale!
    Looking forward to see them in the cockpit!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten thank you for the kind word 🙂 I hope Airfix Kate will be in monday in my post box 🙂

• Profile Photo

Time to start work...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking forward to this kit, @lis. I have always like this plane, especially with some of the brighter paint schemes available. I am a big fan of using decals where possible, but I find that decals that cover the rudder or tail surfaces are hard to get matched, leaving you with trying to match the colors to touch up areas not covered by the decals. I have had good luck recently painting stripes using Tamiya tape. I am sure it will look great whichever way you choose.