Combo A6M Zero build ( Spiros' build of Saburo Sakai and John's build of HIYO fighter group)

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 211 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 7 months ago:

John, @johnb
    The work you have done on the cockpit looks very nicely done. I like everything about it, from the way the color looks, to the weathering, chips and dirt effects. By the looks of things, you are well on your way to catching up with Spiros. But be warned, he is a very fast builder ! 😉

I will also try to find some pictures of the Hiyo Zero 2-1-128. There has to be something floating around. (I hope). If I do get lucky and find something, I will definitely share it with you.

Spiros, @fiveten
    The seams look flawless on your Zero. These Hasegawa A6M's go together nicely, as do the Tamiya kits which are at least 40 or so years old now. They are just not as detailed as the Hasegawa kits are... but they were ahead of the times and set the "new" modeling standard back in the day.

That being said, I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the all new tool Eduard 1/48 Zero's. This doesn't mean that I will be tossing out my old kits... in fact just the opposite. I currently have all of them under construction in typical "Iron Werke" style. They have been placed on a temporary pause until the F-84 gets finished.

You guys are both doing some excellent work here, and I look forward to seeing your next postings.

Stay safe.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks my friend @lgardner! And, again, congratulations on creating the (yet another!) utterly successful GB, "our" EoJ GB!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 7 months ago:

How much I envy your "contraflow" , but unfortunately I have to restrain myself, the three models on my bench leave me no room. Excellent choices, Zero after all give many opportunities for unique presentations.
    Looking forward for next updade !

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @faraomike!

Don't tell me about bench occupants, I have quite a few of them (OK, a lot! 🙂 )...

...but again, my heart is too soft on any of our friends here invitation, or motivation, for a build: the rest is (numerous ongoing projects) history!

Have a nice Sunday, πατριωτάκι!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

@lgardner, Thanks Louis, if you find a picture, I'm very interested. Ofcourse I will continue searching as well. Hasegawa should have gotten their information somewhere.

@faraomike, thanks Michael, usually I only work on one kit at a time so this time it is doubling my workload. 🙂 It is however great to have those combo builds together with our friend Spiros (@fiveten).

@fiveten, thanks, your sanding result looks impressive. No seams left.

• Profile Photo

You say Spiros @fiveten ? I have an old Hasegawa Zero already started -as usual- (some years ago) . I'l take a look on , do you think it's time for resurection ? From the other side , three models looks at me from different sides of my work place demanting my attention ! I agree , this friendly invitation is a big temptation ...

• Profile Photo

@faraomike, would love to see your progress as well Michael.

Progress on the interior took place this morning.
    I added some seatbelts which I had in my sparebox, so they definitely looks not like originals.
    What surprised me was that there was only one shoulder belt on the Zero.

Gunsight looks very detailed as well as the handles for the machine guns.
    I painted those handles brown because looking at old pictures, they seemed to be made from wood.
    Quickly took some pictures before everything got closed up.

And with the last sidewall attached, nearly no interior visible.
    Now on to dry fitting the fuselage or try the way like proposed by Spiros @fiveten.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress John , I am preparing for something beautiful !

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, my friend @johnb!
    I believe the time for your Zero has arrived, my friend @faraomike : looking forward to see your (definite) masterpiece!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years, 7 months ago:

G'day John and Spiros (@johnb and @fiveten),
    This is a great build pair and progress is looking good on both counts.

I was contemplating building a zero or two earlier this year for the EOJ group build, but other things took precedence.
    I've just had a count and I have 7 Hasegawa kits (spanning A6M2 to A6M8, including an A6M2-N and A6M2-K) and a pair of Tamiya kits (A6M3/3a and A6M5/5a) in the stash.
    If I had the time and space, I'd join you.
    I'll just have to be a spectator.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @michaelt!
    The fact that our combo built sparks motivation means a lot! Yes, time is limited indeed (too many models, too little time?).

• Profile Photo

Time to fit the fuselage halves now the cockpit is finished.
    As was already mentioned by Spiros (@fiveten), the fuselage halves fit fine without the cockpit but it is hard to even dry fit correctly with the cockpit in between.
    Therefore I will follow Spiros' advise and mount the cockpit from below after the fuselage halves are glued.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, my friend @johnb!
    Looking forward to see the cockpit attached!

• Profile Photo

Fuselage halves are joined and machine gun cover.
    After the glue has cured I will attach the cockpit.
    In the mean time dry fitted the wings and this finally revealed the great looks of the Zero.

As per instructions, I removed the recessed panel lines.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, my friend @johnb!