Dragon 1/35 Type 97 Medium Tank-it’ll never fly.

Started by Bill Koppos · 27 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Howdy Groupsters. Man does not live by Japanese aircraft alone. I figgered I'd take a break from cockpit interiors and do some road wheels instead-oh boy actually neither one is so great. Oh well got to slog through the lesser stages to get to the paint jobs!

As a matter of fact, as far as suspension/wheels go, this one is not so bad. They went together fast despite all the sprue nubs all over them. The darn swing arms are loose in the hull sockets, so I had to assemble the track bottom runs so I can put in all the swing arms at once, so it sits straight. (One reason I like Tamiya armor kits, the suspensions are always tight and line up perfect). Tomorrow for that.

So already emptied some sprues, but there are PLENTY of parts left. It should go together pretty fast. I have the early and late Mr. color sets for Japanese tanks, no worries about proper coloration here. Going to try weathering with oils for the first time, too, also gotta dig up those Eduard photo etched palm fronds I have somewhere. too. Big plans for this baby.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Now you're talkin'
    Being a former Army tanker myself, I'm partial to anything with tracks on it. I have two Japanese tanks in the stash... my Type 97 is a Tamiya kit, and I have a Dragon Type 95 Light tank. If time allows it, I might drag them out too.

I'll definitely be watching this one... Nice call Bill.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Looks great already, Bill.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

WHAT! Not a plane? - OK, quite refreshing indeed - keep the posts comin', I'm signed in on this one. Lookin' and learning, lookin' and learning.

• Profile Photo

Louis @lgardner The Dragon 95 is a beautiful kit, but when you run up against the DS (Dragon Styrene) tracks...refer to this if you want...or invest in a set of Fruils. My ways cheaper.
    https://www.track-link.com/articles/1227

• Profile Photo

Could I forsee the ships coming at this GB? That would be great!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 11 months ago:

@fiveten, yes good one, the IJN had quite a few ships! @billkoppos, seems there will be an army of Type 97 to fight what? The coronavirus 🙂 Will follow your instructions on how to build mine!

• Profile Photo

Well back from a quick excursion, went to see my Son. Actually took this beast with me and got some work done on it, sitting at a picnic table with my modeler kid in a pleasant outdoor environment, (NO mask necessary).

Well it turns out, while a nicely molded kit, it has quite a few PIA's and annoyances in it. Many of the smaller parts have 4-6 attachment points/sprue nubs on them, much trimming and clean-up is necessary, and there are a lot of small parts. Got the wheels on, and made sure all was straight and lined up. Check out the first pic, each of those rivets by the sprocket mount on the fender are individual miniscule parts, lumps on a sprue sliced off. Eeeesh I thought my eyes would stay permanently crossed. Started work on the turret, Dragon gives you a choice of 2 main gun barrels of different configurations, and as usual, no explanation of what is what. (Same thing with the return rollers). Internet research was no help so I guessed the short one, as this is boxed as an "early" version. The mantlet would not fit straight so I trimmed it to fit, but it no longer elevates or traverses. I persisted in assembling all the tiny PIA tidbits on the gun innards, as I still might leave the hatch open. Like I said it IS nicely molded, have a look at the ring gear, nice.

Anyway here we are now. Still plenty of parts left.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Your Chi Ha is building up nicely, Bill. I have the same vehicle in the Tamiya version. It's much cruder, of course. Glad to see that you are adding some armor to the Group. I am looking forward to the final result of your project, given how good your other AFVs have been.

• Profile Photo

Looking really great Bill!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hello Bill, @billkoppos
    I looked at the link you provided and that's definitely the way to go if you plan on using the kit supplied tracks. I wish they would give us the choice for individual links AND a set of one piece "rubber band" style in every 1/35 scale armored kit. That would be modeling Valhalla...

I'll bet you're relieved to have finished installing the individual bolts on the final drives... That looks rather tedious. Thanks for the updates. It's looking great.

• Profile Photo

Louis actually Tamiya does have some kits with both these days, the newer Matilda comes to mind, link and length and vinyl. I actually used the vinyl on that one as it was easier and made no difference in appearance.
    The new Meng M3 Lee has 4 individual pieces for each link. Aint doin' that one. Sorry realism life is too short...

• Profile Photo

Attack the tracks...Not too bad on this one, the kit has link and length which means some molded long runs, and some individual links. Beats snot out of all indys for sure. A jig is provided to get the proper sag on the top runs, and it worked rather well, lining up just so with the return rollers. Upon this rock we base the rest of the tracks, doing the sprocket and idler wrap-arounds and going into the bottom runs, two long flat pieces. I want these removeable for painting, for spraying of course but also for access to the hull sides when the camo patterns must be applied, including the brushed-on yellow stripes. So in this case I used the bottom runs and attached the wrap-arounds to them, leaving the top runs seperate. The pics will 'splain it. It takes a bit of fiddling but eases the painting considerable.

Finally getting the parts count down now. Mufflers, engine hatches, 'lil handles, etc. are going on. The shovel. pick assembly is very nicely molded. Dragon kits can be a lot of work, but the detail level is quite above that of Tamiya, it's the price you pay. At this stage aint much left, just the complicated tow cable assembly, and prominent turret antenna, but I gotta uncross my eyes for a bit. Almost paint time.

On other fronts the Damm masking set is STILL not here for the Shiden-Kai. Hint-if you're ordering anything from overseas, do not expect it very fast. Also started a 1/32 Messerschmitt, but I won't tell you guys that, (It's not Japanese).

Ciao Dudes

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

That's great job, Bill! wish I could tackle something like this sometime.

• Profile Photo

If you can glue a plane...