Dragon Chi-Ha with Crew

Started by Michel Verschuere · 36 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hello again!

I managed to build the model ready for the paint job today. The most difficult task was applying the PE exhaust cover on the tank's rear. These are fairly large pieces of PE (25x25mm) that require bending such as to fit around the exhaust. I thought of a way to do this using two dowels, measuring half the width of the covers' base as diameter. I glued them together using CA and then bent the pieces one by one.

I am happy about the end result.

I actually think about painting the Chi-Ha in World-of-Tanks (WoT) colors. WoT is a well-known online multiplayer tank game for those interested, Dr. Google knows more. This is easier but on the other hand adds a funny note to my entry.

Not sure yet, just an idea. Happy to hear your views...

Take care and happy modeling!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

You've done a wonderful job with the PE covers, Michael. Your "97" looks splendid!
    I like the "World of Tanks" scheme, but again, myself being no expert, this is just aesthetically appealing!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Hello Michel @michel-verschuere
    This is a wonderful update ! I apologize for not responding earlier...This update almost slipped under my radar. I especially like how you made the forming tool using wooden dowels... That is an ingenious method. I will definitely be keeping this build journal to use as a guide when I get to build mine... Who knows ? I might just surprise you guys one day and drag it out too... You just never know.

I also like the World of Tanks color scheme. It looks very good.

However I was thinking about painting mine up using a multi colored scheme using yellow, green and a red brown that is very similar to the box art photo you posted in the very beginning.

For some reason that scheme "talks" to me... possibly because it reminds me of WW2 German Panzer colors ?

Stay safe my friend, and take care.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Geez totally almost missed this bit of armor building. Japanese tanks are quite rare. Already fascinated with these small tanks. Seems that Japanese didn't take armor very seriously, but then I have not read too much on Japanese armor and their philosophy in employing them. Now Michel you have my curiosity in a quandry and need to do some reading on these tanks. Looking forward to more of this WIp as it progresses.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks everyone for following this thread!

@uscusn yes, there was little tank action in the Pacific, I have the impression tanks were mostly used as infantry support and as some kind of mobile artillery. Having said that, no other opponent but the US had anything of a tank better than what the Japanese could throw at them. In China for instance, a Chi-Ha Type 97 tank was a feared weapon actually...

I can report after 4 weeks that there is good progress. Meanwhile I took some time of in Austria (the Austria w/o kangoroos in Europe) and managed to keep the family Covid-free up to now. I hope everyone here stays healthy for that is the most important thing in life!

On the Type 97, I started of with the paint job. The first task was shading, for which I used matte acrylic black paint from the rattle can. I like black shading on models because the thicker prime coat does away with some of the unwanted gaps while the next layer of paint is guaranteed to stick better to the model. As for the color, I sometimes use a terra-cotta brown similar in color like the red oxide paint often used on German Panzers as an undercoat. This time however we deal with a Japanese tank so I thought black would do!

I opted for the not-so-straightforward paintjob including the peculiar camo on this vehicle. The build of this Dragon kit is nothing other than one would expect from this manufacturer: High detail, accurate reproduction and fine engineering. The only minus would be the instructions and color schemes but in this case, it's all ok, actually!

Prepping for the camo, I added a fine layer of mixed IJA green from Revell enamels (my usual choice for paints) made from green and yellow. The camo scheme on the Type 97 is very interesting but as the tank was assembled using bolts and rivets, masking for the end result would be a PITA, so I decided to thin the camo colors (wood brown, red-brown and yellow) in order to apply them with a brush. You can see the result of this step as far as the wood brown is concerned below:

I am quite pleased with the result, although I applied the camo scheme out of the free hand. It looks random enough to go for the real thing as far as references show.

I hope to continue on the camo scheme tomorrow, but I also have the BMP-1 build on the bench in parallel. This one is also in the painting stage now.

https://imodeler.com/groups/30th-anniversary-desert-shield-desert-storm-informal-group-build/forum/topic/us-armor-of-desert-storm-battle-of-73-easting/?topic_page=2&num=15

Hope you like it, if so, please stay tuned for more on the EOJ GB entry here!

Happy modeling, Michel.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Michael @michel-verschuere!
    The camo turned out really great and your brush painting skills are super! Though most of the time I use my airbrush, I love brush painting (kind of reminding me those epic painting sessions as a teenager modeler).
    Glad to hear your family is well, hope you enjoyed your time off in beautiful Austria.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 3 months ago:

I did not sit still on this one. I actually made a little vignette for the Type 97 which required some study work.

I made a Torii gate out of hardwood with Japanese inscriptions to it (more details to be inserted ito the main article).

Also, I found myself making bamboo! It's the kind of gardening I like most. As a matter of fact, I asked my gardener to produce some realistic bamboo in scale 1:35 but to my surprise, he declined...
    One tree takes about 2 hours (one hour for the stem made from styrene profiles, including painting and then another hour to add the leaves) I made three bamboo trees like that... The result is quite realistic however! I'm happy about it, what do you think?

There are some things to do still, the tank is 99% finished but requires some finish and weathering. I also need to paint the figure still, no experience with Japanese tank crew color's but I'll keep you posted. I wanted to report on these so you get an Idea where this is going!

Hope you like!

Happy modeling.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

6 hours worth of Bamboo! - I do like it Michel, there are promises of one more of your usual splendid dioramas here.

• Profile Photo

Thanks @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Love the bamboo too, Michel @michel-verschuere.
    Looking forward to your figure painting!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Mr Spiros, Kalinichta my friend @fiveten

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Michel, @michel-verschuere
    What an incredible update ! The bamboo looks like it could start growing on it's own at any time... The Chi-Ha looks very good too. The finish is fantastic and I can't wait to see how it looks once you start adding on some dirt and grime. What an impressive display with the Torri Gate as a focal feature... It's absolutely perfect in every aspect.

Well Done ! 🙂

• Profile Photo

@lgardner , thanks my friend! Your likes are always what counts here! I very much liked every GB you have hosted so I did not want to disappoint (I wouldn't dare so 😉 )

• Profile Photo

Chaps, I just cleaned up my bench... Guess what is next...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Figure painting?
    Weathering?
    Or something else?...@michel-verschuere