FIAT BR.20 ”Cicogna”, I-Type (私はタイプする), IJAA, 12th Sentai, China 1939

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 167 · 2 years ago · 1/72, BR.20, Cicogna, Empire of Japan, Italeri
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Thanks my friend @holzhamer!

Yep, this clear nose with the small turret inside has given me a lot of concern already, still needing a lot of correcting work before attachment onto the fuselage. Then it's the canopy and the rear turret, with the bazillion of framing, oh my!

I checked Eduard and they do make a set of masks for the Cicogna; truth is that I have rarely used masks before, those used being fabricated by me, but I might give tis Eduard set a try...

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 12 months ago:

@fiveten mabye try to cut masks from tape by hobby knife?

• Profile Photo

Yes, @lis, I make masks this way you mentioned, I have never used precut masks...I will see...

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 12 months ago:

@fiveten precut masks are very usefull:)

• Profile Photo

I was not very happy with the front clear nose; moreover, I discovered that the inner round support for the turret was wrongly interfering with thwo small front windows. I thus bravely dismantled it, shaved off the inner protrusions and sanded/polished it smooth. Here is:

The turret will be stripped off paint and repainted, hope next posting will provide a better result...
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Second attempt on the clear nose

The innards were sanded and polished; I did my best there, as space is minimal and working curves are unnatural. The turret was stripped and polished smooth, as well.
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 12 months ago:

And once again the PFP-conversion/scratchbuilding guru hits us! I like the detailaddiction you show my friend! Keep 'em comin' @fiveten.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum! I would have preferred to have the two nose halves done in normal styrene, with the six tiny windows added from the inside...but you cannot ask too much from a nice 1972 era kit!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

You're really moving right along with this @fiveten. And you did sprinkle a good bit of Magic Old Kit Dust on the project.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo

Here is the start of my second attempt on the clear nose: I did an initial frame painting, waiting for it to cure to asess the situation. Just noticed that there are two quite substantial sink marks (I at first thought they were internal deformations...) bilaterally of the clear nose, at the height of the turret internal mounts: they will have to be filled and sanded.
    The engine cabanes received their light gray shade, as well:

Cheers, EoJ GB!

• Profile Photo

Liquefied styrene added to the nose transparency sink marks. The engines were also drybrushed with silver:

Upon curing, the nose will be sanded smooth,the framing will be touched up and, if the result is satisfactory, the gun will be added and the nose will be attached onto the fuselage.
    Cheers, EoJ GB!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 11 months ago:

@fiveten Could You write more about this Liquefied styrene?

• Profile Photo

Hi @lis!

Liquefied styrene is some kind of "filler". You take small pieces of styrene, put them in a small vase and add some very thin liquid glue. Leave it overnight and the next morning it has become a homogenous liquid. You can make it thinner or thicker by adding styrene pieces or thin glue.

You may apply it in places needing filler carefully, with a toothpick or so. Leave to dry and sand it as you sand normal filler. Use small amounts, as too much will deform the surrounding plastic.

It's a very good filler and it bonds nicely, as it is, indeed, styrene!

It's very good for filling difficult spots, or weak joints, as it strengthens them. Practice on some scrap plastic first. I think you'll find it interesting and helpful.

I sometimes use it as glue, as well.

Best is to start using it and slowly take advantage of its benefits, as you will adapt it to your personal style of modeling!

Here are two relevant videos, the first shows how to make it, the second also shows how to apply and sand it:

Hope you find all abaove informative; I did not want to overflood you with information, so I stop here, please write ANY question/comment you might have! I will be happy to answer!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thank You! @fiveten