Fine Molds 1/48 Mitsubishi Ka-14

Started by Jeremy Millan · 35 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Jamie @jmillan, that engine is really fine. Absolutely stunning!

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 9 months ago:

@airbum Thank you Erik!

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Going together quickly. Nifty little engine

• Profile Photo

Trying to make a little progress each day. It’s been so hot here in CA and my garage where i work is like an oven.

Finished up the engine and painted the Cowl with Mr Surfacer 1500. That stuff sprays nice especially with leveling thinner. Has a nice sheen to it.

Got the landing gear and windscreen installed. Masking the windscreen gave me a lot trouble, it’s so small. Did the best I could. Also spot primed the seems. Almost ready for paint. Getting there.

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Looks great, Jeremy @jmillan!
    I bet it took magician hands to mask that tiny canopy.

• Profile Photo

The cowling and prop looks magnificent! Oven-hardened paint? 🙂

• Profile Photo

So I sprayed some mr color gx2 gloss black as my base for the silver. This is the glossiest black I’ve ever seen and sprays really nice. Did a couple light coats then a wet coat. Then I sprayed some leveling thinner over the top after.

Then this morning I started to spray some Alclad aluminum and almost had a heart attack when I spilled some paint on the tail. It started to melt the plastic right away. This stuff is hot! I tried to wipe it off as quick as I could with some Tamiya lacquer thinner. But the damage was done. Luckily it’s where red is going to be painted. I’ll try to lightly sand and clean it up best I can.

Well at least the silver looks nice. Hopefully this comes out ok.

• Profile Photo

That silver looks very nice. Hope the heartrate is back to normal after the spill!

• Profile Photo

Hi Jeremy!
    These things happen all the time (at least to some guys like yours truly!).
    The good thing with modelling is that everything can be addressed and solved - no worries! Just a bit more effort, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. All this enegy put in the model will be somehow depited nicely in the final result.
    Your silver looks magnificent, by the way!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 9 months ago:

That veno black is new to me and I sure like the apparent smooth glossy effect you achieved Jeremy.
    Mishaps are always around the (bench) corner, I would consider applying a white primer over the entire tail section where the red will be later on sprayed, this way you get an even surface and an even chromatic base, because I assume you aren’t looking for a worn effect of that red area, are you? Either way good luck and excellent work so far

• Profile Photo

Thanks for advice fellas!

I got the tail resurrected. Lightly sanded it and then sprayed some White followed by red. Then a semi gloss coat. Came out ok.

Getting closer. Also painted the wings tips black. Still need to make the masks for the Hinomaru’s and paint them. Then some panel liner and maybe some oils to lighten up the flaps. I don’t think this bird will get much weathering as it was a prototype and the few photos I have seen it looked pretty clean.

• Profile Photo

Looks splendid, Jeremy.
    Mishap is history now, and your Ka-14 is glorious.
    Eagerly waiting for your progress!

• Profile Photo

Nice save Jeremy @jmillan. It really is looking great!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Guys. Well I finally got the meatballs painted. I used Oramask 810 masking film and cut them on the vinyl cutter at work. The film works great. It’s super thin, low tack and flexible.

• Profile Photo

And this is how it turned out. I dirtied it up a bit with some oils and pastels. Looked too clean before. Hope you guys like it. I think it turned out ok.

P.S. I didn't paint the lights as I haven't bought any clear color paint yet.

7 additional images. Click to enlarge.