Fine Molds 1/48 Nakajima ”Kikka” jet.

Started by Louis Gardner · 42 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Up next from the "Iron Werks" is a late war Japanese jet that was based loosely on the Messerschmidt Me-262 jet. This is the Fine Molds model, and it is going to be an out of the box build with no additions.

The plane made it's maiden flight on August 7th, 1945,

and a second and final flight was made several days later. RATO pods were used on the second and final flight. They were mounted beneath the wings, inboard of the engines, and can be observed in this next photo that was taken shortly before the second flight was made.

One surviving example currently resides in the Smithsonian, and it is made up of parts from several different machines.

It was supposed to be used as a high speed kamikaze plane, and most likely would have been very difficult to intercept if flown in massive numbers. However it most likely would have met it's demise due to the increasing use of proximity fuses on most US Navy anti aircraft artillery weapons. The shell didn't have to make a direct hit, instead "close enough" was "good enough" as proximity fused rounds would explode when they were close to the intended target with devastating results. The Japanese were gearing up for production of the type and approximately 20 or so examples were found at the end of the war by the occupying forces.

The submarine that was carrying the plans and parts needed to construct a Japanese version of the German Messerschmidt 262 was sunk by the Allies prior to reaching it's destination. The Kikka was smaller than the 262, and differed in many ways. It's basically a twin engine jet with an "almost" straight wing, and that's about where the similarities end.

As typical for most builds, the work begins with the cockpit. It is a simple but efficient looking assembly and goes together very well.

It is sandwiched in between the fuselage halves along with the nose gear bay.

A bolt is provided to weight the nose down.

Strap in for a quick trip back in history...

As usual comments are encouraged. Thanks

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Great choice, Louis. I had no idea there was a kit of this one. Even better that it's a quality Fine Molds product. From the picture, it looks like the cockpit will look really good OOB with no need for an elaborate etch set. The instrument panel would probably be superior to etch once punched out decals are added. I'll be watching this one.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

A perfect choice, Louis @lgardner!
    I kept on reading your short story and admiring the accompanying pics.
    What a machine emerging out of those strange times.
    With the plans lost with the sub, the story became breathtaking.
    The kit looks great, surely your skills will do the excellency part.
    Waitng impatiently for your progress, my friend!

• Profile Photo
    Mike Licari said 3 years, 11 months ago:

This is great. I like it when kits provide an integrated way to add ballast.

I've seen the example at the Smithsonian a few times and I guess I didn't realize it's been cobbled together from a number of airframes. Thanks for the history lesson!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Does it come in mottle @lgardner?

Now, bolted together, that must be a first in 1/48th? - I wonder a bit about the seat - would you happen to know if it is shaped like that to give room for a parachute? - surely a misunderstanding for a Kamikaze or what? I'm tuned in for the ride.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Yeah, a bolt and screw? That’s even more unusual than the Kikka 🙂
    Another semi-esoteric subject brought about by this GB with full sponsorship by Louis Iron Werks

• Profile Photo

Thanks gentlemen for the comments.

Here's another installment on the Kikka.

On many late War Japanese planes, they often painted the cockpit usng the same color that the exterior was painted. This was especially true with the Ki-61 and Ki-100 planes. There were others, but these two examples come to mind first.

From what I can tell on the Kikka, this was also a possibility. So I went out on a limb here, and after some online research came up with this color combination.

I used the now deleted line of Model Master enamels. I picked RLM 70 as the color I would be painting the jet in. It is similar to what Nakajima Green looks like once it has dried. It has a slight blueish color to the shade.

I sprayed the fuselage interior walls.

and picked out the few details using the color call outs as provided with the instruction sheet.

I didnt go crazy with this, since the canopy is one piece and it looks to be fairly thick. I'll try dipping it in "Future" to help clarify it some.

The cockpit assembly was also painted in the same color. The pilots joystick was painted in an aluminum shade and the handle was painted to replicate wood.

The decal for the IP was added. Once it snuggled down with some solvaset, I added the cockpit

and glued the fuselage together.

Overall I am very pleased with the fit. So far no filler has been needed. It is now taped to hold things tight, and will be drying overnight.

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

That's a nice progress, Louis @lgardner!
    Cockpit looks great and I love your approach color.
    Looking forward to the next installment!

• Profile Photo

First a bolt, then a wooden wonder stick. This kite never stops amazing me 🙂

Thanks for sharing this late-war wonderplane, intents and purpose may have been shady, but that is not the planes fault. Looks great!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Great progress, Louis. The cockpit looks really good with details defined by careful brushwork. What you get in the kit cockpit is obviously quite sharp and a good base for detail painting. I like how you have brought out not only the dials but also the elements on the consoles and sidewalls. I especially that canvas pouch in the third pic - it really stands out. RLM 70 is a great choice with a fine research rationale. Looking forward to seeing this take shape.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Colin @coling
    for the kind words. This is a fantastic little model... I was curious to see how big it will be when compared against a German 262. We will see, but I can already tell you it is smaller... I am particularly impressed with the painting I did on the canvas pouch. I used some colors from several of the Tamiya weathering decks and this was the end result. It really does look like real canvas... Thank you again !

Stay tuned for another update.

• Profile Photo

The tape was removed from the fuselage and the seams were sanded smooth. This was very easy to do, and took me all of 15 minutes. No filler was needed so far. Next I glued the upper wing halves in position. This is going against the assembly sequence shown in the instructions. They would have you build the wing and install it as a completed assembly. My way ensures a nice tight fit at the fuselage and wing root area.

The lower wing half is molded in one piece. This ensures proper dihedral. This plane has a slight positive dihedral just inboard of the jet engines, between the fuselage and the engines. The outer wing panels are set at what looks to be a zero degree and appear to be straight and level. This kind of reminds me of how the B-25 wing is set up.

The lower wing half was glued in place...

and I decided to build the RATO units, especially since the holes to install them are already there. I took the eay way out because I didnt want to mess around with filling in the holes in the lower wing for the RATO units. On the real prototype plane, these rocket assisted units were used only once... and that was on the second flight.

Since I was on a roll, I prepared and installed the horizontal stabilizers... They fit very nice with a little glue that oozed out of the joint. This will be taken care of later once the glue dries.

The jet engines were next. These are very simple to paint, assemble and install. The fit here is also spot on. I see where some sanding will be required to get this area to be a nice, smooth seam. It is indeed a "Fine Molds" plane so far.

The only place I see that filler will be needed is at the lower wing joint, right where it meets the fuselage on the underside. Other than that we are good to go.

Coming right along... This has been a very fast build so far. Now it is actually starting to look like a Kikka.

As always, comments are included... I'm calling it a night. It's been a very busy, but productive day.

• Profile Photo

Comin' together nicely. (wouldn't expect anything else)

Even though the RATO's were only used once, they are an interesting addition and after all, we are producing moments when modeling.

• Profile Photo
    bob mack said 3 years, 11 months ago:

awesome work

• Profile Photo

You've done an amazing progress, Louis @lgardner!

Loved your decision of positive wingroot/fuselage joint, rather than gluing wing halves on lower wing first.

Also, though I am not an "ordnance fitted model" guy, I love seing RATO's attached to planes, so thumbs up for your RATO's too!

May I say that I find the Kikka looks equally interesting with those of the almost identical, bit bigger (I think...), Me-262?

All the best!