Fine Molds 1/48 Nakajima ”Kikka” jet.

Started by Louis Gardner · 42 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 11 months ago:

That fuselage is looking very smooth and ready for paint. The engine attachment join looks manageable. For any gaps, this is where I always prefer stretched sprue filler rather than putty, virtually no chance of it flaking off where curves are complex and careful sanding is required.

I really like the lines of this fighter. Like a hot rod fiberglass kit copy of the me 262 without the heavy nose guns. It probably would have been formidable in a dogfight as long as the engines worked (not likely with late war Japanese manufacturing problems).

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Looking great Louis! I never would have thought of assembling the upper wing halves first, good way to ensure a proper fit. Great work on the cockpit. Looking forward to the next post.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Colin @coling
    I'm very pleased with the fit of this kit. The fuselage is especially smooth, and reminds me of the earlier Hasegawa stuff. The fuselage will not need any more work, and it is ready for painting, once I install the canopy.

I have never tried using the stretched sprue as a filler before...Do you heat it and then pull it into small strips, then glue the small strips in place ? I'm just guessing here... . Would you mind explaining how you do this ? I have also heard that some actually mix old plastic parts trees and add some liquid glue into a small container until it melts. Then this mixture is used as a filler instead of using putty. Thanks for the input, as I have experienced problems with putty coming off especially when you are trying to re scribe panel lines. Thank you...

Hello George, @georgeswork
    Thank you for the kind words. It is coming along very fast. I always try to install the upper wings if it's possible. It saves you a lot of grief with filling in the seams, and you don't lose any details because of sanding.

• Profile Photo

Erik, @airbum
    That's exactly what I think when I build any model. Some of them I build look pristine, as if they were new. All planes were new once... Thanks for stopping by.

Bob, @p38j
    Thanks buddy ! Please stay tuned for more to come...

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    I try to attach the upper wing section first whenever it is possible. It seems to work about 90% of the time. Once in a while it can't be done. It's a trial and error thing. The nice part of building the wings in this manner is that you can control the wing position at the root much better.

Like you, I prefer my planes "clean" with very little (if anything) hanging from the wings. Sometimes I make an exception and build the plane fully armed.

Thanks my friend for stopping by...

Take care and stay safe everyone !

• Profile Photo

I thought this area would need some help... so I added a little filler here at the joint where the wing meets the fuselage. Had I added a few plastic card parts inside the fuselage it might have made for a better seam. What you see is what you get...

It sanded out nicely and now the underneath is ready for paint. I tried painting the inside of the wheel bays on one side. I don't like how it looks so I'll try something different.

The cockpit looks good once everything is in place.

I found a small sink mark on the front landing gear door. So it was filled in and sanded smooth. The instructions stated this door was not installed on the first flight... neither were the RATO bottles.

I sanded down the leading edges of the wings, and once I was happy with how the plastic looks, I painted the leading edge yellow. I also used a small file to shape the contour of the engines where they meet the upper wing.

Now the engines look perfect. The fit against the wing was sufficient enough to not need any filler here.

Calling it a day. Take care everyone.

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

That's a fantastic progress, Louis @lgardner!
    I noted your comments and I am thinking of adding plastic cards to my builds more frequantly, "just in case".
    Your Kikka looks great: so similar to the Scwalbe, yet so different.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

What a joy to follow the progress here - that wooden stick really stands out. You said regarding the wheelwell;

I don’t like how it looks so I’ll try something different.

Just guessing here - might some BMF be involved? (I'm sorry to report my experiment with the silver sheet is still on the to-do-list). Like Spiros say, plastic cards may be a more frequent thing on my builds too - highly recommended on Tamiya 109's 🙂

I really like the looks of this little bird - it will be on my "almost a 109" wish list 😀

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Louis, Here are a few pics to illustrate the stretched sprue filler method. First, I stretch the sprue that comes with the kit to get a perfect plastic formula match. (BTW I added a red sprue for fun in the pic just to show what I used to make the little handles in the cockpit of the Shiden Kai [that I was avoiding painting red]). Anyway, the procedure for filling a gap is like a weld. You clip off a length of stretched sprue of the appropriate thickness for your gap. You might even want to vary the thickness proportional to the width of the gap. Just lay it in the gap where needed, apply a few drops of extra thin liquid glue and watch it dissolve into the gap as the glue flows in by capillary action. The SM 79 kit I used here does not really have gap problems in the fuselage join but I just taped it together to illustrate. Normally, I wouldn't have any tape to hold down the sprue along the join as the glue would flow under it. I just needed a free hand to take the picture in this case. So, even though you are using substantial strips of plastic they do indeed dissolve into putty consistency. Like a weld, they make a strong additional join and never fall out. Obviously you should let the "weld" set a couple of days before sanding. I have tried dissolving flakes of plastic in cement in a bottle but the result is too stringy and goopy to handle well. If I have a broad irregular spot to build up, I glue flakes directly to the spot and apply cement right there to dissolve them.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    walt samardak said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Great job!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Haven't been checking in on the group wip much lately, but this looks like another one of your masterpieces in the making!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hi, Louis. I somehow missed this thread, but it looks awesome. I don't think you can go wrong with Fine Molds. I thought I had my options set to automatically get notices on stuff in this group, but apparently not. Back to my options page, I guess.

• Profile Photo

Colin, @coling
    Thank you very much for posting this tutorial. This is what I was thinking it would be, but now having pictures to explain how it is done is much more helpful. I sincerely appreciate this. Thank you. I will give it a try on my next project. I might even dig the filler out of my Hasgeawa Ki-44 where I used some filler around the inserts they placed in a stupid location on the side of the fuselage. I was re-scribing the panel lines nearby and some of the filler popped out. I'm not too happy about that...

Walt @waltosoaring
    Thanks for the compliment !

Hey Robert, @roofrat
    This little jet has been a joy to build. I'm very happy with it in every aspect. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope to see you over here at the EoJ again soon. I just noticed that the dog you have on your page is wearing a "Grape" shirt... How cool !

Take care buddy, and stay safe.

George, @gblair
    Thank you for the kind words. Every Fine Molds kit I have built has been a good one. I have enjoyed working on them all. I hope you get your options page sorted out. If not, then please shoot me a PM. Thanks again !

• Profile Photo

I sprayed on some IJA gray on the underside after masking the leading edge yellow IFF stripes.

Then I sprayed the top color using RLM 70 again. It looks very convincing to my eye...even though it's not "officially recognized" as a Japanese color on the bottle wrapper.

The demarcation lines between the two colors is good enough for me. I'm really liking this new Harder and Steenbeck air brush. Thanks you Pedro @holzhamer
    for all of your answers.

Once it dried I removed the masking, and it is really looking more like a Kikka now.

The leading edge has a slat, similar to Messerschmidt aircraft designs. I am very pleased with how smooth the paint laid down. You can see the sheen in this photo.

The canopy was also sprayed and installed.

Here's how the Kikka looks now.

And yes Erik, @airbum there will be some foil work involved soon. Good call !

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Awesome, even before BMF 🙂