Hasegawa 1/48 Ki-43 I

Started by Woody Kubacki · 43 · 1 month ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Beautifully corrected, Woody @wkubacki

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Woody Kubacki (@wkubacki)
    Wow... This is amazing at what a difference it makes... Looking good !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent save, my friend @wkubacki!

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 3 months, 1 week ago:

@johnb @lgardner @fiveten Thanks for the kind words. There are some things I can overlook, especially towards the end of an unforgiving build, so I'm no perfectionist.

Louis, you are on the right track but mine has no wing stripes. I'll keep it at that until I paint the plan e and reveal it here. I also have the Ki-21 I b (1/48) and have been studying what scheme to paint it. I'm gravitating towards the grey-green vs camouflage as it could offer an opportunity to really get the paint tone modulated (which is much harder with the darker Japanese greens) and add the grime I see in a few photos I have. I'll try to not do a kit marking scheme and try to find some other Sally with a nice tail emblem or marking (something blue or yellow, if possible).

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the update. Now I think, (but I'm not 100 percent positive), that I know which plane you will be building, but I will not spoil the reveal.

As far as the camouflage on my Ki-21 I opted to built a bomber from the 3rd Chotai of the 60th Sentai. It has a simple / rather plain single wide Yellow stripe on the tail. I was going to leave it as is in the overall Grey Green, but I wanted to do one with green squiggles on it. In a perfect world I would have been able to do the snake weave camouflage on it... but chances are these planes would have had a turret, so I decided against that. I was sure to decal the plane first, and then took the risky route of spraying the Green camouflage around the Hinomaru decals and occasionally over the maintenance ones. On some of the latter you can see them through the Green, as I painted it in lighter coats in some areas, in hopes to mimic what could have been done to the real plane.

I'm looking forward to seeing your next steps. Thanks for posting these updates with a lot of pictures on them.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner Looking forward to see it! The way you sprayed the green is absolutely correct, as that's the way they were done in the field. A little overspray on the markings would be authentic.

How did you manage the canopy masks? I know Eduard is set to release the masks shortly, but I took it upon myself to draw my own masks based on a high res scan of the instructions (the online PDF is not high res enough). I can tell you that when they designed the instruction manual, they didn't do it how I would have done. For example, the page of window masks are not lined up, so instead of drawing one line that all the masks are aligned to, I had to draw each mas individually. I also was looking at the canopy glass and I think I will have to mask the inside of the nose section as well.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thank you for the kind words. I did the masks the old fashioned way... cutting them out one by one. This was not too much fun, and is now the primary reason why I want to invest into a scan / cutting machine.

Here is a picture I have of it that came from the build journal.

This one shows how the maintenance stencils are still legible in some places.

This shows how I have a little more overspray on the Yellow 3rd Shotai tail color stripe. There is some of it present on the White "combat" stripe that wraps around the fuselage. These two stripes were painted on, rather than using a decal.

Thank you for the kind words.

• Profile Photo

That Sally looks great! I like the varied camouflage pattern on the wing. One must consider fatigue and boredom as factors when painting larger aircraft in field camouflage.

Today I had a productive day.

First on the list was the yellow IFF bands on the wings using masks I designed on my last build. After aplying the masks I sprayed hairspray, then the paint, and then chipped the paint.

Next up was to paint the Sentai markings. This aircraft was from the 1st Sentai, found at Tuluvi airfield, Cape Gloucester by US Marines on December 26, 1943. The c/n was 776, with an estimate build date of November 1942, and an estimate unserviceable date of September 1943. 1st Sentai had red painted rudders
    and elevators with white bars on the rudder. C/N 776 had a red rudder and elevator and 1 full width white bar and a half width bar above it. As you can tell from the photos, I forgot to paint the elevators.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Now we have come to the reason why I chose this particular aircraft. From the US crashed Enemy Aircraft Report (CEAR), the plane was painted a light blue (most likely a faded version of Japanese blue), with the undersides unpainted. I have heard of blue painted Japanese aircraft, but have never come across concrete evidence until I read up on this one in the j-aircraft forum and in Pacific Profiles Vol 1. I know there are accounts in Japanese of veterans recalling blue aircraft, but I have not read them. It's not that I don't believe them, but I was able to finally convince myself that these blue planes were not made up.

I used a 2:3 mix of Mr Color C328 (FS 15050 Blue Angels blue) and C72 (Intermediate blue). Keeping in mind my Ki-44 build (https://imodeler.com/groups/the-empire-of-japan-1919-1946/forum/topic/1-48-hasegawa-ki-44-ii-ko/), of a field camouflaged plane, I considered how this plane was painted. It may have been painted nicely, with a smooth and even finish, or it may have been sprayed more locally, with the ground crew member trying to do his best to cover the plane evenly, but knowing that getting the plane operational was more important. So I chose the latter.

From the photo, the field applied paint flaked off and so covered the entire topsides with hairspray. I made sure to spray the rudder and hinomaru with hairspray because then I could use that to easily remove any overspray . I painted the plane in a back and forth motion, mimicking the arm's length back and forth motion of a spray gun (like Mr Miagi taught us). I wanted the pattern to be visible, but not starkly so, Yoshi did have to do a decent job of it. I think it turned pretty well. I am happy with the thickness of the paint , although there could be more variation in the tones. I thought about black basing before the blue, but I can address this afterwards with post shading, oils, weathering, etc.

I have the white theatre band to paint yet (need to be careful with masking as I don't want to pull up the blue paint just yet when removing the masks). Also I need to paint the IFF band on the gear doors, and then proceed with chipping the blue paint off, copying the few photos of this aircraft, as well as others of similar planes in the theatre.

You'll see that I remembered to paint the elevators. Unfortunately this was done after they were painted blue, so the red (a mix of C327 USAF Thunderbirds red and LP-18 Dull Red, to be different shade of red from the hinomaru) came out a bit darker/different than the elevator. I will address this at the weathering stage.

That's it for now!

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Superb paintwork, Woody @wkubacki
    Did you mask the hinomarus while applying the blueish paint.

• Profile Photo

@johnb HI John. No masking, I just took the crown cap off my airbrush (Mr Hobby Procon Boy 0.2mm PS-270) and outlined them freehand, with the brush about 1 cm from the surface. I did get some minor overspray but the hairspray I sprayed over the entire plane helped with removal (small 3000 grit 3M sponge from the auto department, soaked in water and held in tweezers).

I highly recommend that brush, the quality (made in Japan) and price are impossible to beat. currently the PS-270 sells for $110 Canadian, while a similar Iwata is 2-3 times the price.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Fantastic job, my friend @wkubacki! Love this blue!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 months ago:

G’day Woody (@wkubacki),
    That is a striking choice of blue.
    I had to get my copy of Pacific Profiles 1 out to look at. I think your blue is a reasonable match for the tailplane photo later in the book.
    Maybe I’ll do the blue 11 Sentai aircraft so as not to be a direct copy of yours.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 months ago:

G’day Woody (@wkubacki),
    That is a striking choice of blue.
    I had to get my copy of Pacific Profiles 1 out to look at. I think your blue is a reasonable match for the tailplane photo later in the book.
    Maybe I’ll do the blue 11 Sentai aircraft so as not to be a direct copy of yours.

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 3 months ago:

@michaelt Hi Michael, I am going for the the lighter blue of the 1st Sentai plane, as described by the US report ("light blue") . What that light blue I'm not sure, but I started out by mixing various paints trying to get a close shade to 6-2 (https://j-aircraft.com/a6mresearch/accolors.htm), and then lightened it up a bit. I also shot some highly thinned light blue in a random patter on the paint last night to lighten it even more. My guess is that the paint faded a lot under the sun. I still have a ways to go before the paint is where I want it to be, including a flat varnish and various oils.

Regarding the fin in Pacific profiles, it's is quite dark, much darker than I would have assumed, and looks more like JAAF #13 (http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2011/02/sentai-hombu-blues.html). Its an interesting colour, one I would like to model, sometime in the future.

Thanks for your comments.