Hasegawa 1/48 Nakajima B5N1 Type 97 Model 1 "Kate", IJN

Started by Reinhard Spreitzhofer · 71 · 3 years ago · 1/48, B5N, IJN, Kate, Nakajima
  • Profile Photo
    Reinhard Spreitzhofer said 4 years ago:

And a second Japanese subject my dad started recently.
    Gonna do the camo scheme from the box top.
    DSC_0011 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

DSC_0003 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

used a selfmixed interior green
    DSC_0010 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

That's perfect progress and a perfect project, Reinhard! I have to say I LOVE the box art camo, as it is not extremely common in Japanese aircraft. Bring them on, my friend!
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years ago:

The Kate is really an interesting subject with lots of different paint schemes. Good choice.

• Profile Photo

recreating the box art camo will be challenging, using bluetac/UHU patafix won´t work this time regarding the camo pattern, maybe brush painting or freehand airbrushing...let´s see

so, some detail painting and weathering with drybrushing and washing
    DSC_0001 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

DSC_0002 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

• Profile Photo

Hey Reinhard!
    At such "difficult" camos I usually go free airbrushing with as fine a spray as I can, following the camo pattern as closely as I can; knowing from the start that the demarcation lines will be out of scale.
    So I cannot wait to see your choice and your result.
    Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Wow ! What an excellent choice of camouflage for your Dad's "Kate". The work he has done so far looks fantastic too. Please keep us updated. Like Spiros mentioned, I too cannot wait to see your results.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros and Louis!

cockpit tub assembled

• Profile Photo

Great! I love that you have two projects running in parallel, Reinhard!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years ago:

Another masterpiece. Looks like a mix of XF-71 and what RAF Grey Green? Unlike RAF or Luftwaffe planes the interiors of Japanese aircraft can vary from each manufacturer. A steady hand on the IP details are well done. That camo scheme is unique on the Kate, I don't believe a similar scheme was used on any other Japanese aircraft IJN or IJA in WWII. At least haven't seen as yet. Good work.

• Profile Photo
    Mike Licari said 4 years ago:

Nice choice! I've done the N2 version (with another in the stash), but I've never owned the N1 version. I'm excited to see it!

• Profile Photo

My father doesn´t know anymore which paints he mixed, too long ago. Had the paint standing around and thought it would suit well.
    Yes, the interior colour differed from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Have two N2 kits in the stash too, but chose the N1 version because it looks more attractive due to the unusual camo, something different than the usual single green.

Fuselage closed, a pity you hardly see the nicely detailed interior anymore.

• Profile Photo

Hi Reinhard. Going pretty well! Thanks for posting!

• Profile Photo
    Mike Licari said 4 years ago:

Coming along nicely!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Wow your Dad works very fast ! He has the fuselage buttoned up on this one in the blink of an eye... well done too. Thanks for the updates. I can use this one as an good example when I start building mine (which hopefully will be soon).

• Profile Photo

depends on the kit, if it´s a troublemaker and how complex it is, but usually my dad is a "fast" builder, on average to finish a kit it takes him 1-2 months

wings and elevators attached
    huge wingspan..