Hasegawa 1/48 Nakajima Ki-27b Type 97 ”Nate”, IJA

Started by Reinhard Spreitzhofer · 44 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Reinhard Spreitzhofer said 3 years, 7 months ago:

and here´s my dad´s sixth and last? contribution to the group...
    DSC_0007 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Hello Reinhard, @grimreaper
    Please accept my apologies for not responding sooner. Things have been rather busy for me lately and I don't have the time available as I used to...

This is a fun little kit to build. I did a build log on Imodeler where I constructed two of them at once. I used Gunship Gray for the interior cockpit color. Another tip is to leave the engine oil cooler off until you are ready to install the propeller.

Otherwise it is very fragile, as it is only glued to the pushrods, and will break off. It can also be glued on upside down. There is a difference between the top and the bottom of the cooler. There's a small difference in the width between the top and the bottom sides. I posted a very cool picture of this on a real life Ki-27 that had a Japanese pilot standing next to the engine. This photo also shows the oil cooler very well... the picture is posted on my build journal.

Here's a link to the build journal if it will help you guys along the way.

https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/hasegawa-148-nakajima-ki-27-nate-two-builds-in-one/

Your Dad has been a real life rock star on here with all of his builds for the Empire of Japan... Please let him know that I sincerely appreciate all of the fine work he has done. I also thank you for taking the time to post these works of art for all of us to see.

• Profile Photo
    Reinhard Spreitzhofer said 3 years, 6 months ago:

No need to apologize 😉
    Thanks for the tips and the kind words!
    I´ll let him know 🙂

finally a start is done, some paint for the engine
    DSC_0005 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

• Profile Photo

started to paint the cockpit using Tamiya XF-18
    DSC_0004 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

• Profile Photo

cockpit tub ready to install
    used Fine Molds plastic seatbelts
    DSC_0004 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

DSC_0003 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Reinhardt (@grimreaper), how are the Fine Molds Nano-belts behaving? - just got a few muself, and wonder if your dad might have a comment on their usefulness, like how are they compared to metal belts?

The cockpit arrangement so far looks great - very nice work (as usual).

• Profile Photo

In my dad´s experience, the FM belts can break if you bend them too often or too much and they don´t respond well to plastic glue so my dad uses CA glue.

Thanks! My dad just told me the cockpit doesn´t fit well into the fuselage halves, seems there is some extra work neccessary..

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks Reinhard - I will keep that in mind. I suppose they can be heated before they are bent, helping them on their way a bit.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Reihard (@grimreaper).

This is a beautiful choice! It is a sweet little kit, that will more or less proceed smoothly.

Cockpit looks great!

Ar you going to paint it per the boxart?

Hope it is not your last contribution to the EoJ GB, otherwise I plan to catch up with you!

Congratulations on the contributions so far, both to your father, as the builder and to you, as the presenter. Splendid father/son joined forces!

P.S. Don't throw away the spare Kotobuki engine! It can be Kinsei-ed with some mods to be fitted at a Jake, as yours truly did! (LOL)

• Profile Photo

@Spiros
    gonna do the box art scheme and it will be the last Jap subject for 2020

fuselage halves glued together and cockpit inserted, went better than expected
    DSC_0005 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

DSC_0006 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

DSC_0009 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

This kit will go together fast...and I like the color choices your Dad made for the interior. It looks very good and authentic. It will be at the painting stage before you know it. Those Fine Molds seat harnesses look great !

I'll be watching for your next installment. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Great progress on this lovely kit, Reinhard!
    The chosen scheme is ABSOLUTELY cool!

• Profile Photo

fast forward build so far
    DSC_0007 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

DSC_0008 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

• Profile Photo

Looking great.

• Profile Photo

engine installment done