Kyūshū J7W1 Shinden (震電, "Magnificent Lightning"), No. 1 Aircraft, Aug. 1945, Hasegawa, 1/48

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 56 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Empire of Japan, Hasegawa, Kyushu J7W1, Shinden
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Glued the landing gear legs in place.

The mains are glued in a good forward angle, "secured" with their weak retraction cylinders. They are extremely flimsy and prove very difficult to set at the correct angles. So, after letting the glue curing a bit, for the joints to become a tad stronger, I placed the model on its own weight at my bench, with the rear part touching the wall and the front part held in place with my heavy tweezer tool.

I set the gear legs at the correct angles. Since the model is secured, it will not move and the glue will harden overnight with the legs at the correct angles. I use this technique when I have "flimsy" landing gear to attach.

Keep up the good work, great GB!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    The work on your plane is getting closer to being done... and it is looking wonderful. I will keep the method you used for the landing gear in mind as it looks to be a brilliant idea...

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis @lgardner!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Great jig! Just goes to show you've been in the "solution found" business for a long time!

• Profile Photo

Thanks @airbum! If specific equipment is non-existant, I don't mind improvising with whatever I have at hand to reach the desired outcome! i don't mind at all!

and a little update:

Wheels were glued, along with the two small outward MLG doors. I managed to glue those doors at the wing AND at a MLG leg spot (which is how they are connected in reality, anyway). In this way, the flimsy join benefited from some strength.

• Profile Photo

Standing on its feet!

Goodness, this is a flimsy LG!

• Profile Photo

Flimsy but great I might add. . . now you just have to hold your breath long enough to add the details my friend 🙂

• Profile Photo

So true, my friend @airbum...
    Thanks for liking!

• Profile Photo

Bad weather delayed vacation departure, so, some small progress:

Glued the distinctive front and the smaller rear antenna masts.
    Painted the rear side propeller tips.
    Microtououched up the canopy frames (a bit more is required)
    Gave the undersurafaces a black wash to bring out any engraved detail.
    The wing mounted pitot has flown to hyperspace, so I will have to fabricate one.

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looking great! The paint looks really clean too. The landing gear looks delicate... be careful 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Spiros. Your Shinden is looking awesome! Can't wait to see the end result! Well done.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jeremy @jmillan and Morne @mornem!

• Profile Photo

Sorry to hear about the weatherdelay, but at least that gives us some nice progress to look at. I do hope the pitot will send you a postcard 🙂
    Well, such little critters tend to live their own lives sometimes, but that just gives the PFP special section yet another chance to shine with their custom made parts. Looking very good my friend - happy holidays whenever they may come!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @airbum!

Weather improved, but I was called back at my work, so I PFP young members, along with their mother are off for a couple of days escape at a holiday place (Limni Evias) near our living place...

...hoping to join them if work obligations finish soon!

There's a reaction in every action, the reaction being that I am granted with some extra modelling time!

So, after the new pitot was fabricated and allaround touchups performed, the Shinden is ready for weathering. No pics to show now, hopefully this evening!

As for the pitot and the similar cases, you can usually CLEARLY see them snapping off, travelling and landing. You can even hear the landing sound. The always following disappearance is one of life's mysteries. The rediscovery just after the model is done, is, of course, the modeller's Murphy's law implementation...

Thanks for kind words, hopefully some more progress tonight!

• Profile Photo

Hi everyone!

Finished the yellow lines at the propeller.

Then some weathering.

Since the Shinden was a prototype, having flown only three times and, as is documented by the available photos, it was understandably kept in very good condition.

So I went very subtle, with some oiling/dirtying/staining at the undersides and some very little dirtying at the topsides...

...with some more at the undersides.

I couldn't resist and VERY VERY LIGHTLY - practically invisibly - silver drybrushed some parts of the cockpit, the propeller leading edges (close to the tips) and the wing roots, where the pilot and the technicians would step to get into that cockpit.

Lieutenant Commander Masayoshi Tsuruno, technical staff of the IJN, was the one whom the canard design Shinden was originated. He was the one who performed the first flight and probably the other two.

So here he is, in the process of painting as he is nicely provided by Hasegawa!

A coat of almost gloss satin coat is next!