Learning to Fly...1/48 Yokosuka K5Y1 Type 93

Started by Reinhard Spreitzhofer · 46 · 4 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Reinhard Spreitzhofer said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

My dad continues with the IJN stuff.
    This time a golden oldie, later released by Arii in the 80ies but this is the original Otaki kit, first released in 1972.
    Although the decals are 40 years old and the carrier film is yellowing, they still work. Tested them, need some more time to loosen from the paper but it works. The model will be painted in orange, so a yellow carrier film doesn't matter that much. Maybe I can find some replacement.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Another awesome entry, my friend @grimreaper! Sometimes affixing the decal sheet from the insides of a window facing the strong sun might lessen or even remove the yellowing; of course having strong sun is the most difficult part of the above process this time of the year 🙁

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Very cool!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks like a beautiful kit, Reinhard @grimreaper
    Never tried using the sun light to remove the yellowing as described by Spiros @fiveten myself, but have read already several times that this works perfectly.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Reinhard Spreitzhofer (@grimreaper)
    This is an excellent choice ! Thank you so much for the continued support with our EoJ and Luftwaffe groups.

I have this kit in the stash and another similar model of the Tachikawa Ki-9 Spruce.

My Willow is still factory sealed and it looks as if it might be one of the later versions from the 1980's that you mentioned.

My Nichimo Ki-9 "Spruce" kit is opened. It even included wire for the rigging. I also like the Orange color it was molded in. I wonder what color the plastic is in my unopened kit ? I'll have to wait until I'm ready to actually build it, before I crack open the plastic wrapping though.

This "Willow" should look great when your finished with it.
    I'm right in the middle of a huge home repair job. Once I get it done, I just might have to crack open these two and join back in on the fun... You can bet I will be watching this one for updates !

http://arawasi-wildeagles.blogspot.com/2021/03/kawanishiyokosuka-k5y1-akatonbo-willow.html

Here is a link to a really cool walk around of the real plane, but I must warn you... it is a replica but still definitely a cool one.

Thanks again !

• Profile Photo
    Reinhard Spreitzhofer said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

painting instructions for the interior are a bit vague
    found pics of an original unrestored cockpit where the metal parts look green, found also the 1/32 Nitto kit instructions where the interior is IJN grey and the frame black...
    when the fuselage halves are closed you don´t see much of it anyways
    added some PE seatbelts

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looking awesome so far, my friend @grimreaper! You can never be absolutely sure about those cockpits' shades, both are "acceptable", I believe.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great start, glad you found at least some reference information,Reinhard @grimreaper

• Profile Photo
    Reinhard Spreitzhofer said 5 months, 1 week ago:

@lgardner, yes on a Japanese run 😀
    let´s see, after the IJN maybe some IJA subjects next year...have the Nichimo Spruce kit in the stash too...

• Profile Photo

getting the wings together too
    kit has pre-drilled holes in wings and fuselage for the rigging, nice feature for a 50y old kit

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Wings look great and the pre-drilling is, indeed, a notable feature for such an old kit, my friend @grimreaper!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Nice progress, Reinhard @grimreaper
    Those pre-drilled holes will be very helpful.

• Profile Photo

gaining shape

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Looking awesome, my friend @grimreaper!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 1 week ago:

And a nice shape it is, Reinhard @grimreaper