Messerschmitt Bf109 E-4, 1/48 FINISHED (new picture added)

Started by Erik Gjørup · 99 · 3 years ago · 109, airbum, Bf109, Bf109 E-4, halfworks, japanese, me109, Messerschmitt
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Great WIP thread! A japanese 109...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Thank you for the kind words, comments and info - I appreciate it all!

Thank you @blackadder57 – I saw your buffalo in the headlines – very nice indeed! May have to build one for this EoJ GB!

Indeed the learning never stops @uscusn! Thank you for the kind words.

I think I will do that @billkoppos – I just have to restrain myself when it comes to thickness of paint (did a terrible job on a Swiss 109 recently, posted elsewhere on iModeler)

@michel-verschuere Thank you – you never know what turns up here on iModeler 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

And surprise; a 109 in japanese colors are on the way from FineMolds https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10690974

Thanks goes to George Henderson @blackadder57 for posting a link that had this item next to it!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

A surprise indeed!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, I wrote the importer for Europe, and they thought it may be some time before it hits these shores, so on with this one. A short update comin' up soon.

• Profile Photo

Not quite Harakiri

But a hole got bored and major parts added.

While I did not take any pictures of the process as there has been a few previous Tamiya 109 builds in WIP, I did manage to get most major parts installed today

And bored a hole through the broomstickinsertiondevice that is there to manhandle the plane on the ground (and lift the tail when adjusting guns and gear)

With that a bit of filler as there are some pronounced sinkmarks in this one from where the flaps gets secured.

I really do not recall them this clear on previous builds, but perhaps that is just my memory?

Now the filler cures, gets sanded and ready for primer next! Quite a nice little jump forward!

Next up She may have been primed – perhaps even had the first paint?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

I have been watching these regular updates, and I'm taking notes for my next 109 build. Your plane(s) have come a long way, and something tells me the next installment will be more "colorful".

• Profile Photo

@lgardner my friend - please do look and learn from my mistakes! Today I got to the paintshop to airbrush some other projects, and took the EoJ GB 109 with me to give it some primer - I have recently bought a new brand that I will try, and in thinned form it worked just fine. with the primer done, I decided to take a picture of the result, and arranged the kit with the window (gloomy music in the background) and some wheels I had sourced from the spares box.

With the first picture in the camera I wanted to re-arrange and put the hood on the plane. . .

WHY? - when you have a cocktailstick, use it and keep it that way till you are finished. Well, nothing a bit of glue cant fix, but I broke the left side of the hood right off.

Now while that sets it is on to other ventures - but do not handle fragile parts more than needed - right?

next up I think you are right - some color is needed. Cant wait to combine mottle with red and yellow! That will be a feast for the eye I think

• Profile Photo

Hi @airbum!
    ...just a drill? NOT you usual Drill!
    I love your progress
    All the best, my friend!

• Profile Photo

Color!

Added a bit of color today

Well – not much, but just the initial RLM65

It will almost all be hidden under the heavy mottling later on I suppose, so just two thin layers were sprayed

It may be a while before next posting. Time will tell.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 11 months ago:

This Is coming along nicely, Erik.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Looking great, Erik @airbum. The camo on these will be fun. I think Hasegawa released an Me 109 in Japanese colors several years ago.

• Profile Photo

Looks perfect, @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Erik, @airbum
    Your RLM 65 looks fantastic, and is very smooth. I can't wait to see what you do next. Hopefully you can keep posting and continue with your regular updates as usual. If not, we understand. I have enjoyed your humor, "this is not a drill" brought a smile to my face... Keep up the great work my friend.

• Profile Photo

Thank you @j-healy, I like to think so too.
    Thank you @gblair, I will be looking forward to it - I shall use this project to teach myself the use of double-action for mottling. It will be fun!
    @fiveten, most kind, thank you
    @lgardner, Thank you. I will be doing my best, there will be evenings that can be used now and then, and most week-ends will be divided between domestic jobs and modeling. Glad to hear I was able to bring a smile into the world! 🙂

Again thank you all - I appreciate it! Stay safe out there (By the way - my part of Denmark will be opened up a lot more from june 8th, looks promising amidst all the great weather we have at present - and beginning to see contrails lightens the spirit)