Messerschmitt Bf109 E-4, 1/48 FINISHED (new picture added)

Started by Erik Gjørup · 99 · 3 years ago · 109, airbum, Bf109, Bf109 E-4, halfworks, japanese, me109, Messerschmitt
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Sorry - no progress as such to any of my builds, but just spent a brake at work trawling the net.

It appears on the japanese pages that the buffalo and the 109 from FineMolds will be available in Japan next month, and - surprise - the plastic is from Tamiya! However, there will be decals (brown colors and red leading edges are depicted!) and FineMolds seatbelts AND a maintenance set with two figures are included. I will import some when they hit the shops in Japan (should you be interested in adding a kit to your stash, send me a private message and I will try to get a rebate by ordering a bunch).

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Hello Erik, @airbum
    This is some great news ! I have several of the Tamiya Buffalo's in the stash, and two that are built and on display in the case. Then I have another Special Hobby boxing in Australian / US Army markings, and an earlier US Navy version that was made by Classic Airframes. I want to build this last CA one as one that was flown by Jimmy Thatch... famous from the "Thatch Weave" or beam defense measure. Here he is in a "good landing" that he walked away from... while flying a Buffalo. This is the exact same plane I want to eventually build, the Good Lord willing.

It's a neat looking plane, and this will allow it to have even more building possibilities. Thanks for the very kind offer, but right now if I spent any more money on anything related to building models, I would be moving into the dog house... My German Shepherd is a big dog and she takes up most of the room, so I'll have to pass. Should things change, I will reach out to you. Before you place your order, please give me a PM if you don't mind. You just never know, the dog might have to scoot over... ; )

I hope that things are returning to almost normal for you now. Take care and stay safe my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

First toplayer

Not a lot in terms of progress -

But did give it the first coat (RLM02) on the topside

Next will be a standard german scheme that will get a huge amount of mottling later on.

next time I hope to have a bit more, but no promises 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Finally caught up. Some good stuff going on here

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I love that RLM @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Marcus Vinicius Teixeira Borges said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Cool!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

That RLM 02 really pops ! Wait until you add some mottling to it... Outstanding update.

• Profile Photo

@blackadder57, @fiveten, @mvtb and @lgardner, thanks for the words gents! The mottling will have to wait - just a small update to show it in base color with masks off comin' right up

• Profile Photo

Ready for mottling

I painted the top in RLM 02 and 71, following the german pattern

I still haven’t found any useable pictures to show the pattern, and so my interpretation is that it had these colors as a base, but with heavy mottling when it arrived. Later on it got repainted it seems, and the fine molds preliminary drawing shows this as a brownish hue.

And with this done it is off to dry. I forgot to say that I thinned the paint a lot this time, and used the fine needle in the airbrush – that worked like a charm, but I still seem to have an issue with the large needle. I’ll have to bite the bullet and get a new one I think.

next up I do believe will be when it is mottled – stay tuned

• Profile Photo

This Emil of yours would look right at home on the Channel Front as it looks now... I would expect to see a cigar chomping, mustache wearing Experten to jump out of the cockpit next... all you are missing is a JG 26 unit insignia and a Mickey Mouse emblem on the side !

I do believe you have things sorted out very well with your air brush now...as this paint job looks perfect.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner, here you are;

Now, I am thinking hard how to fit a 109 in the Korea GB. . .

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hi @airbum!
    Your Emil looks splendid and I can see decal time approaching slowly...

• Profile Photo

Erik, @airbum
    The last picture you posted really made me laugh big time ! Thank you my friend. Fitting a Bf-109 into the Korea GB is going to be very hard... I think the closest alternative would be a Yak-9P... and that's not even close.

I too believe that some decals are coming very soon...

• Profile Photo

To quote you Tom @tom-bebout

You’re burning daylight Erik. Lets get some paint on that kit.
    Well, here you have it - lots of paint comin' up.

@fiveten, @lgardner, thank you Spiros and Louis, but still have to decide if it will be painted or decalled. That white ring is going to be tough to decal on all these colors.

• Profile Photo

Mottling in progress

Whit the base dry, it is time to mottle

The pictures I have of this one shows heavy mottling, and it may be so, that it has received some Imperial colors. This time around I stuck to the RLM issue number 71 and 02, and here you have a black and white of the result

Now, we live in a world of color, and here you have it in all its colorful glory

I still have to decide if the mottle extended to the wings, but both options are a possibility. Perhaps I shall keep this one as it is by now, and see what FineMolds come up with when they release their kit later this year.

And back in the closet to dry properly, then some decals or painted Hinomarus and stuff. What about stencils? Oh man. . .