Mitsubishi Ki46-II (Dinah) 1/72 LS

Started by George Schembri · 33 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Dinah, Empire of Japan, Ki46
  • Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 2 years, 6 months ago:

More photos

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 6 months ago:

The Dinah has always been one of those planes that looks fast just sitting in the chocks. Looking forward to the rest of the build, George (@georgeswork).

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks Gents, George (@gblair), Woody (@wkubacki), John (@johnb), Spiros (@fiveten)

Great photos Woody, I would have never guessed that IJAAF would plaster over the panel lines and rivets, just seems to add more weight.
    But it's a recon, then the plaster weight would probably could be tolerated due to the missing guns.
    Nice photos detailing the nose landing light, thanks.

Some minor updates, getting ready for primer.
    Just a little filler needed for most joints.
    I mistaken started to sand the pointed end of the nacelles before I realized what I was doing, it's not as pointy as the actual plane but at least there is a bit of a point left.
    the Cowlings are a bit off, glued on a bit too high.
    I needed a bit additional filler for some sink holes on the added lower engine scoops and exhausts pipes. I thought I'd be able to added these parts after painting but a test fit showed small gaps would be evident.

While looking through my stash, I found the other two Ki-46's that I have, one being another early LS kit #3 Ki-46 III Kai with an upwards 37mm canon - very crisp molding and decals seem useable if required.
    Also found an ARII kit #2 labelled as a Ki-46 III - but - this kit has all the parts for both Ki-46 II, III AND III-Kai AS WELL AS Ki-46 II Trainer with the domed canopy.
    This would be the kit to get if you wanted a lower cost kit with options, as long as you don't mind all the flash in the moldings.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The Arii kit #2 is sold as an Ki-46 III Recon but all three aircraft shown in the photo can be made from that kit.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Primer applied, nice even coverage. Used Valspar Grey Primer - not sure if it's an acrylic or an enamel but it does go on quite nicely.
    Bottom colour will be XF-14 J.A. Grey, an older 23cc Tamiya bottle.
    Top colours will be AK-2267 Karekusa Iro (Dry Grass), Ak-2268 Cha Kasshoku (tea Colour) & AK-2265 AO Midori (Blue Green) Air Series from AK Interactive.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Primer preperation looks fine, George @georgeswork

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @georgeswork! Looking forward to see your model progressed, tackled by your superb skills.

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents (@johnb) & (@fiveten)

I made some paint progress, timing is tight as my son decided he wanted to go ahead with a kitchen renovation.

After applying the first round of colours, I almost gave up on the Tri-Colour scheme as it looked quick messy.

The AK-2268 'Tea Colour' seemed a bit light so I swapped to Tamiya XF-64 Red Brown to achieve a slightly darker shade.

The slightly thinned AK paints do spray well and give decent coverage, but they seem to dry up my airbrush tip very quickly and it was very tricky to get a consistent stream of paint and hard to avoid blobbing.

When I switched to the slightly thinned XF-64 I noticed a big difference - continuous paint stream and very slow cup drying yet very quick to dry once on the model.

I can't imagine using oil enamel paints as it would be very smelly and very messy cleanup and it would take overnight to dry.

Here is a result after a second round of paints, switching in between colors as required for each section and using cut paper edges to get a steady line and a slight fading of colours.

There seems to be no consistency with the order of colour application, lucky the AK-267 Dry Grass can cover the darker colours.

• Profile Photo

Despite your color adventures, the net result looks really superb, my friend @georgeswork!
    Looking forward to your progress, which has no choice but to be quick, as your son's kitchen renovation awaits!

• Profile Photo

The scheme is amazing and the results are great, George @georgeswork
    I guess you sort of 'volunteered' to help your son with the kitchen renovation.
    Painting with acrylics is sometimes troublesome, at least that is my experience as well.
    I mainly use Vallejo and add a bit of flow improver which definitely helps to prevent those issues.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys - I will be going out to buy some paint retarder for the AK paints.
    But I decided to forge ahead and continue with the final sprays. What felt like about 45 colour swaps, I can say that I am satisfied with the result. Maybe a few more touch ups with a paint brush.
    Now to give a final trim spray on the belly of this beast!

• Profile Photo

Your persistence with painting paid off, my friend @georgeswork! The result is superb!

• Profile Photo

The tri-color scheme came out very nice, George @georgeswork
    It seems like your stock of cotton sticks has reduced a lot.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Painting looks great!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Gent,

Almost done, I gave it a coat of Pledge and coated the kit decals a generous coating of Decal Film.

I applied the Tiger on the rudder and the decal was in excellent shape, which made me decide to try to use all the kits decals.

The Identification yellow bars were not the best as their base white film was smaller than the top yellow film, so I cut out replacements from a Yellow Trim Film sheet from Microscale.

The Insignia did the job, although a bit translucent.

Almost completed soon to be in the Headlines.