Nakajima Ki-115 Tsurugi (剣, ”Sabre”), Eduard, 1/48

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 64 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Eduard, Empire of Japan, Ki-115, Tsurugi
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 11 months ago:

An early bird I am, Bill @billkoppos! Thanks for liking. Well, it seems that they started with a streel/alu/wood combo, aiming to use wood in as many parts as they could during the production. In fact, there are sources indicating that such a thing happened to the tail section, that moved from steel to wood, with steel reinforcements at the edges. The one at Pima museum looks to have a (rusty) steel tail...Anyways...crazy machine emerging from crazy requirements...

Cheers, my friend!

• Profile Photo

Glued and faired the PE fuel tank caps and bomb details. I love looking PE stuff still attached to the fret. Fitting and blending them onto styrene may vary from easy to challening, like those belts attached circumferentially to the bombs at the pic below.
    All the best!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 11 months ago:

PE sitting very well, Spiros! Doing my Friday rounds I always anticipate how much you will have done! You never disappoint!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul @yellow10! Those PEs took some effort to sit.
    I try to model everyday, even if it is a subtlish clean up of a small bit.
    All the best, my friend!

• Profile Photo

Finished and masked the black antiglare color.
    The heat resistant left and right panels aft the exhausts were painted Testors burnt metal and masked as well.
    Tyres and bombs painted black (matt clear coat at a later stage). Interestingly, one of the four bomb wraparound rings partially snapped. Will deal with it after paint dries.
    Propeller painted a suitable brown.
    All the best, EoJ GB!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Ahhh - paint. . . The end is near @fiveten! Nice little update.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Going along nicely Spiros

• Profile Photo

Thanks @airbum and @holzhamer! Hope to airbrush some silver tonight.

• Profile Photo

Sprayed some silver tonight. Drying time is also thinking time of how to represent the steel fuselage, aluminum wings and alu doped wooden tail with metal elevator tips.
    Love this exotic mad "plane".
    Keep up EoJ GB!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 11 months ago:

This is coming along very nicely, Spiros. I am amazed by how quickly and smoothly you get through your projects.Your metalizer finish ( I assume that's what it is) is very nice - it looks flawless to me. I am looking forward to seeing this finished. I haven't seen a built up example of a Ki 115 before.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Colin @coling!
    The finish is Humbrol 11.
    Tonight might try some decalling; or some detail painting.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Shiny! Good old Humbrol 11 still works!

• Profile Photo

Thanks @airbum ...and I must confess that Humbrol 11 has improved towards "metalization" through the years.

• Profile Photo

Found a picture of a captured Tsurugi just after the end of the war in wiki, propeller removed.

As you can see in the pic, it looked pristine, sporting top wing and fuselage Hinomarus surrounded by green paint, as to assist (I believe) the field personnel to apply the rest green paint (hastilly supposedly), without affecting the Hinomarus.

I had not seen a lot of Tsurugis modeled with this type of Hinomarus and, since

Eduard surprisingly provided those, I chose to decal my Tsurugi like this.

It will be presented as it was before the end of the war, having just emerged out of Nakajima's production line, test flight having completed, resting in Nakajima factory hangar, awaiting to be sent to a Kamikaze squadron, (a thing that would never happen). It will look almost pristine, maybe a very very light engine stain (if at all)

So: masking removed and Future applied to protect the finish (though Humbrol 11 isn't that sensitive).

Decals applied and worked beautifully, though they were more than 15 years old.

Mr Mark Softer takes care of them now (in multiple applications, since they react subtly).

P.S. @airbum, as you can see I did my homework and managed to insert the pics in the text. Looks more alive now. Thanks for the inspiration, my friend.

All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    You have definitely done your homework... in more than one way. I like how you have incorporated pictures into your message now. This is a nice improvement and makes the article read better in my opinion.

Your Tsurugi looks great with the Humbrol paint sprayed on and the decals added. It is definitely coming to life now these details have been added.

I remember reading something about why the propellers were removed from all Japanese aircraft at the end of the War, and in some cases the tires were also flattened... This was done at the end of the War under the order of General MacArthur. He didn't want any Japanese pilot having the capability to fly a last "Kamikaze" mission after the War had ended. This was widely believed it would happen rather than being "dishonored" by surrendering to the victorious Allies. So by removing the props, they took this option off the table... The next order given by MacArthur was to melt down almost every single Japanese built aircraft, in order to remove Japan's military aviation capabilities. Only many years later was Japan allowed to build up a military force, and then it was for "self defense".

Looking very good my friend.