Nakajima Ki-27 Nate, Hasegawa, 1/48

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 72 · 4 years ago · 1/48, Hasegawa, Ki-27, Nakajima, Nate
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Hi everyone!
    Just brought out of my shelf of doom this beauty.
    It's the initial release with bonus extra weighted wheels. How can you resist?
    It looks lovely in the box.
    Plan to do a machine of 84th Flight Company Squadron, based in Guangdong, 1939.
    Haven't started it yet, just had the contents evaluated by an expert, as you can see at the pics...(my 2.5 years old son, Nikos!).
    All the best to the amazing group!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

This is perfect ! I built two of these Ki-27's a little over two years ago. The fit was spot on and I didn't need any filler anywhere. The only tricky thing was the oil cooler for the engine. I kept breaking mine off somehow. Here's a link to my builds if your interested . https://imodeler.com/2017/12/1-48-hasegawa-ki-27-nakajima-type-97-nate-246th-hiko-sentai/

I did a work in progress on them too.
    https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/hasegawa-148-nakajima-ki-27-nate-two-builds-in-one/

For this being such an old kit from the 1970's, they look and build as if they were only released a few years ago. It looks like your son is enjoying it too ! Building models with his Dad will someday be one of his most cherished memories...

• Profile Photo

I LOVED your postings Louis! Modelling Heaven! Tempting me even more to build this sweetie!
    You're spot-on about the kit, looks TOTALLY buildable. Yeah, my younger son (2.5yo) seems to have a soft spot on planes AND modelling. It's one of my dreams to build models with my children (my older 5yo son also seems to be interested)...looks like my dream has chances to materialize!
    All the best, my friend!
    All the best to everyone!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 4 years ago:

Nice choice Spiros, looks like you'll have some expert assistance along the way.

• Following this building Spiros!All the best!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom and Marcus! You should see this little fella moaning about the shallowness of the Trumpeter 1/32 P-40B cockpit!
    This Nate kit is really sweet. If you haven't already grabbed it, grab one and you'll see! I bought mine 10 years ago at 14 euros on offer, the "initial release" resin wheels included. How better can it get?
    All the best, my friends!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

You cannot get them started too early 🙂

I'm tuned in on this one, and looking forward to the journey!

• Profile Photo

Totally agreed Erik!

• Profile Photo

Hi everyone!
    Cockpit elements juslued, and now it's decision time for the bluish grey colour...I'll go with Louis's way but have no testors in my stash. Humbrol 145 could be close, has a bluish tint I think...or not so?
    Happy modeling!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Ok, decision taken: it was humbrol 144 with a bit of 140. It looks believable...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hello Spiros, @fiveten
    Here's a link that is loaded with some useful information. Nick Millman operates this website, called Aviation of Japan. I whole heartedly encourage anyone who is even considering building anything Japanese aircraft related to please check his website out. Nick has done some considerable research on the various colors used. He has a goldmine right here ! A person can literally spend days looking at the various articles that have been posted over there. He has taken the colors and digitized them using a scientific approach, so you can see exactly what he is talking about.

As a bonus, Nick is a really good guy too... I have corresponded with him on several occasions. He also posted an article on my 1/48 Tamiya Ki-61 build.

Please follow this link, as it will explain the interior colors used in the earlier Japanese Army AF aircraft.

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2009/08/useful-colours-army-interiors-part-one.html

• Profile Photo

There's also a "Part 2", should you decide to build an Army plane from a little later in the conflict.

Here's a link to it;

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2009/11/useful-colours-army-interiors-part-two.html

I really like what you have done with yours ! I will be anxiously watching for the next installment...

Take care and stay safe.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis! Started reading already. A goldmine IT IS!
    Cheers my friend!

• Profile Photo

Hi everyone!

Cockpit is almost ready, drybrushed and painted some red knobs to add some interest. Drilled three holes at the low back of the seat, as per some internet reference photos. Also punched the bottom of the seat to simulate some riveting. Will add some scratchbuilt khaki-ish belts from the doped masking tape you see in the pic. Buckles will be simulated with my PILOT silver pen. Hope this will be adequate for little can be seen through this small cockpit opening.

Bring on your progress, my friends! I get more and more hooked!

All the best!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years ago:

Great choice Spiros! A classic looking airplane, i might have to do a 1/72. Good health to you and yours.