Started by Robert Royes · 16 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Might do as the ones my father saw in Korea at the end of WW 2

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 1 month ago:

That would be an excellent choice Robert. @roofrat

I say go for it. Your Dad would be honored, and that's a very cool photo your Dad took. Stay safe my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Go build this beautiful plane Robert! Haven't seen many built!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks, Got to clear a couple of projects before I actually start this.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 1 month ago:

This should be a fun build, Robert.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years ago:

Started work on the Spruce, it's so orange that I can swear that I can smell orange sherbet. It's a interesting kit, it comes with rigging wire, the decals look like they might even be usable.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 4 years ago:

Good one Robert. Had a flashback to one of my F-104s there for a moment with those sprues.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

What an interesting kit - I'm tuned in here!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Kit looks perfect, Robert! There is some strange magic (as per the great ELO song) in these Nichimo kits. Cannot wait to see it coming together.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years ago:

Hey Robert, it's been a while since I have checked in. I have this same kit in the stash, (and a Willow Trainer to go along with it), but I don't remember the flying wires being in mine. Those decals do look to be in good condition. I'd give them a try... That's a crazy looking Orange color, but oddly enough, it's a very good match to what was used on the real planes. Later on during the War, they started painting the upper surfaces over using various shades of green. The Orange color remained on the bottom sides though...

Please keep us updated buddy. I'll be looking forward to seeing your next installment. Stay safe...

• Profile Photo

Louis ,good to here from you, I've decided to do it up as one in my fathers photos, will post photos soon.
    Be well my friend.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years ago:

It looks like a nice kit. So many of these older Japanese kits were way ahead of their time.

• Profile Photo

Since I'm doing the Spruce like the ones my father saw in Korea, I have to seal off the rear cockpit. I used strips of plastic card {an old AARP card] then covered with blue tape sealed with liquid cement. It's a guess as to why the rear seat was covered over, perhaps to deliver cargo or mail, or maybe a more sinister purpose. In Japan they put a fuel drum in the rear seat in preparation for the invasion to use as suicide missions, but on these the drum was exposed.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

Looks good, Robert! I like the orange spues!

• Profile Photo

A liitle more progress, because I'm guessing as to the paint scheme in dad's photos I've decided to go for a dark green, there is some evidence that Ki-9's were painted as such in other areas. I was surprised that the decals were usable! The biggest test will be the rigging, It shouldn't be to bad as the kit supplied rigging wire.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.