RS Models 1/48 Manshu Ki-79.

Started by John Healy · 31 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 5 months ago:

This is an interesting little kit that I purchased from Hannants a couple of months ago. The Ki-79 was a trainer version of the Ki-27 fighter. It was produced by the Japanese sponsored Manchuria Airplane Manufacturing Company, based in Harbin. About 2100 aircraft of all types were produced by this entity during the war. The Ki-79 was produced in both single seat and two seat versions. Many were employed by army special attack (suicide) units during 1945. I’ll be doing the box art plane which was assigned to the 113th Shimbu Tai and was expended during the Okinawa campaign. The kit provides no references for cockpit colors. Unless a Ki-79 guru tells me otherwise, I’m going to finish it in unpainted metal. This plane seems a likely candidate for late war Japanese minimalist painting practices. Thanks again to Louis for running this GB. It’s really gotten me out of my Anglo-American/Allied comfort zone.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Hello John @j-healy
    Thanks for starting this build. It looks like a very interesting model to work on. Count me in for watching this one ! 🙂

The earlier built Ki-27's were finished with a grayish color in the cockpit, since the IJA specified this color was to be used in Army aircraft, including transports. I "think" this policy wasn't strictly adhered to from 1944 onwards. During this later time, there were other various cockpit colors found in other planes, colors such as yellow greens, dark greens, and even brown shades. Going from the era where your plane was operated, some late war planes were built without paint in these locations and left "as is" with a bare metal interior. Bare metal would be a good choice in my humble opinion.

There are several websites dedicated to the study of Japanese aircraft. Two that come to mind offhand are Nick Millman's "Aviation of Japan", and "J.Aircraft.com" Both places will most likely have a discussion to better answer your questions. These guys know what they are talking about... Hope this helps. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Two cockpits assembled. I’ll make belts out of foil.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

What a wonderful entry, John @j-healy!

I had no knowledge of that plane and it looks absolutely cool!

Following our friend's Louis @lgardner comments, judging from the kit depicted scheme of (field?) applied top green over bare aluminum, I would be very tempted to leave the cockpit innards unpainted, though they might very well had been painted green, or yellow green, or grey...or, maybe a portion of the cockpit might have been painted (I noticed - or I THINK I noticed - such case in Tsurugi cockpit pics).

The EoJ GB is so well set up, that such amazing entries are emerging in a continuous flow. There is still a lot of potential in this GB and, of course, our Admin Louis has to be congratulated for the conception and essential following along the entries: it's such a pleasure to be a member here!

This GB will be a most valuable reference source for future builders (and researchers) as well.

Your cockpit looks nice!

Waiting for your next installment!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

All manners of seldom seen things keep appearing here in this GB. Sign me up to follow this one too.

• Profile Photo

Major progress today. The completed cockpits easily fit into the assembled fuselage halves from the bottom. I drilled out the instruments from the resin rear IP as it was normal practice to strip these planes of nonessential items before their one way missions.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Heck yea! Another great entry. Man, I missed a lot on this site with the GBs. Can’t wait to see this one done.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, John @j-healy!
    I love the idea of rear panel instruments removal!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Nice work ! That's a fantastic idea to drill out some of the instruments. The pilot's office looks good too. 🙂

• Profile Photo

We have a more or less complete airframe today. Rear cockpit slid right in, front pit took a bit of work. Wings and fuselage all fit together really well after a small amount of sanding the mating surfaces. I’ll start work on the engine tommorow.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Coming together pretty nicely, John @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

John (@j-healy), that is some nice progress. I like the solution with the tailwheel!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Never heard of this plane nor this kit! Pretty cool camo scheme

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 4 months ago:

A little more progress today.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

John, @j-healy
    This little gem is coming right along ! The fit of the parts looks to be very good too.