Tamiya 1:48 Mitsubishi A6M3 (Captured)

Started by George Henderson · 32 · 3 years ago · 1/48, A6M, Tamiya, The empire of Japan 1919-1946
  • Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 10 months ago:

The aircraft was restored to flying condition by the joint USAAF/USN/Royal Australian Air Force Technical Air Intelligence Unit (TAIU) at Eagle Farm, Brisbane, Australia in late 1942 and early 1943. The aircraft was sent for evaluation at Wright Field in the US and wearing post-1943 style US insignia. Fate unknown. According to an article on the J-Aircraft site, a war-time report said the over-all colour was "dove grey". All photos are Public Domain

The kit and innards...

This should be quick; not a large parts count and simple paint scheme

• Profile Photo

Well now...I bought this on eBay years ago and only just noticed the instructions are all in Japanese

I don't know how many of you use Google Translate but even though it is getting better I have been used to getting translations like this..."When attaching the under-member unreadable to the happy fore piece, don't regret ペインティング ". Off we go to the Googler and a few minutes later, happiness

Started off with the innards, opening up the seat lightening holes before painting...

Innards painted Tamiya XF-65 Field Grey

Engine...

...painted with XF-12 Titanium Silver

I like to use Citadel Black Ink for a radial engine wash as I think it portrays an oily finish

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Nice work George ! I have several of these kits started, in a different build journal that I was doing as part of a tribute build to Operation Vengeance. Here's a link to it should you be interested:
    https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/operation-vengeance-tamiya-p-38-miss-virgina-g4m-1-yamamoto-betty-and-a6m-3-zero-in-1-48-scale/
    If time allows me to, I will eventually move the multiple Japanese aircraft build over here to the EoJ, where it is more proper.

These older Tamiya kits build up great... and I am definitely going to be watching this one.

I have the instructions in English and can scan them for you if that will help. Please let me know.
    Thanks for starting another build. Stay safe out there...

• Profile Photo

All good Louis and thanks. I downloaded the instructions online. If I don't find instructions at Scalemates I use this site...https://www.galaxykits.com/instructions/

Small update while waiting to get the camp bus. I couldn't get the wing halves to join together all the way near the wing roots; the rest of the fit all the way around was near perfect. A tip to try and find the problem area...paint the suspected area with black paint (the only time I ever use straight black paint now) and gentle touch the pieces together. Hopefully the un-painted piece will show the offending area that needs corrected. Hard to see the paint touch so I circled it. .

Engine almost complete but that will be done next week

I put the 42 year old cockpit decals in place. Even though they were coated with Microscale Decal Film they still managed to break apart. I did manage to salvage them and they will be finished next week as well

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

OK you caught my attention, I'm tuned in here @blackadder57. I can see that the groundcrew (6 in all on the sprues) are already waving to see the build off to a good start!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

That's a great addition, @blackadder57!
    This kit looks super! (I love old kits...)
    Great trick with the paint to evaluate the bad fitting.
    All the best!

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys. Here's where it stands to date. I noted during editing that the I.P. decal needs a bit of trimming

I never noticed this on my first GB but I will drill out the gun troughs for this one

One thing I found out during my first GB Zero was that the landing gear was canted in slightly like the Fw 109. This is confirmed with this kits instructions

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 10 months ago:

That IP looks quite good, are those decals from the kit? If so let me tell you that Tamiya made a far better job there in the early 80s than those supplied in my Seiran box (1997). Not at all good and to add insult to injury they disintegrated while I was trying to apply them.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Pedro and yes they are the kit decals and yes, even though they were coated with Microscale Decal Film, they still broke apart. I'm lucky that these are the only kit decals I will be using

• Profile Photo

The parts soon to become whole

Bondage isn't really necessary, I just like to have everything solid as the glue sets. A quick fuselage/wing test fit shows that I may have to shim up the wings. They don't sit high enough along the wing root. I'll do a more thorough trial once the glue sets

• Profile Photo

That's REALLY great, George.
    I love the way the instrument panel turned out.

• Profile Photo

As usual great pictures and great attention to detail - your build rocks!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros. I got lucky saving the decal from destruction and thank you Erik. Bondage definitely required for the fuselage/wing join. There will be mud

Added the cowl flaps to the cowl using the open option as per the photos. Paint on them shortly

• Profile Photo

Open cowl flaps really make a difference, George.
    Looking forward for your painting!

• Profile Photo

There will be mud

looking forward to that! - those are very nice clamps by the way, I have to get me some of those.