TYPE 97 CHI-HA *DIORAMA/VIGNETTE*

Started by gary sausmikat · 63 · 3 years ago · 1/35, Diorama/Vignette, Tamiya, Type 97 CHI_HA
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looks great, good progress there, Bill!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

This is some good progress, Gary@gwskat.
    Those details really add up to your build, looking fantastic already! I can only imagine the diorama, waiting eagerly to come along!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Very productive indeed. Great progress.

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks All!

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 8 months ago:

A book I saw (Polish origin, half Polish half English) opined the screen might have been used to support extra Infantry tank riders for the attack. I bought it!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks, Bill. Works for me...

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Hey All,
    Continuing weathering, lightening shades and highlights. More weathering will be accomplished when I add the Chi-Ha to the diorama.

Same weathering on the turret along with painting the antennae and wooden posts

This is my first attempt at a box diorama.

Box diorama Inner Box:

Dried vegetation, with flower drying silica gel, to simulate the jungle vegetation

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 years, 6 months ago:

finally got some needed supplies; Quick update

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Wow, looks really great, Gary @gwskat!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Sorry, but it seems as if I missed the previous update. . .
    Your build AND diorama looks great Gary (@gwskat). I suppose the angled background is done that way to avoid the light flooding straight down the side, highlighting any small particles? Nice detail.

• Profile Photo

Thanks!
    Nope. No technicalities like that at all, Erik...she's just not glued into place yet...LOL

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Another Gary dio masterpiece in the making. Did you paint the sky background or is it from a poster or print?

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Tom,
    The sky portion is from a photo I took. It was then adjusted to "look right" and to the correct length.
    After that it was glued to poster board to give it rigidity. In the future it will be trimmed and attached in place.
    This is the original photo I took while out for a walk here in PA...almost looks like the south pacific...LOL

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Nice pic of the south pacific, Gary @gwskat.
    Almost looks like PA! -lol!

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Hey all.

Finally an update. Why so long? Simply stated, hit a creative brick wall. I was just not happy with the look of the dio. The way the jungle looked (just thrown together) and the background, especially the road just dropping off into the sky were just not doing it for me. So I decided to step back and redo it.

I stripped out the jungle and started to recreate a more realistic scene. Using my cricut cutter I created bamboo leaves and ground ferns, painted them with various greens and assembled them wire. CRAZY? I know but I think the time spent was worth it.

Once I redid the jungle portion I needed a better background. I found a jungle pic that included a road, edited and resized it to what I needed. Very pleased with the way it fit with the foreground.

The outside box but still need to cut the viewing frame and add the lighting.

The lighting filter.

Added new celuclay to fill the gaps between the back and fore grounds and also to build up the area where the tank will eventually sit. Once dried I will paint and add ground cover to these areas.

It was a large amount of rework but I'm so glad I bit the bullet and redid the scene. Now my mojo is back and I'm moving forward again.

Next up: complete the outer box, add the lighting, finish up and add the Chi-Ha and add the figures.

Until next time...KEEP IT FUN!