Yokosuka D4Y1-C Suisei (Judy) 1/72 Fujimi

Started by George Schembri · 8 · 3 years ago · 1/72, D4Y1, Empire of Japan, Fujimi, Judy, Yokosuka
  • Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I thought I'd contribute and do a quick build of a plane which impressed me the first time I read up on it - the D4Y Judy. This Fujimi Kit C-16 is labelled as a D4Y1-C which, according to Google, was the first D4Y to see combat debuting as a reconnaissance aircraft when two pre-production D4Y1-Cs embarked aboard the Sōryū to take part in the Battle of Midway in 1942.

Being a Recon, the bombing sight was included in the kit but the instructions left it out.

Well I thought this would have been a quick weekend build but a little experiment with paints fought with me right to the end and things finally came around when I fell back on the Tamiya XF-11 & XF-12 for the main colours.

Decals went on well but felt like bristol board at first.

Next build might be my 1/72 Fujimi kit C34 - B7A2 Ryusei Kai (Grace) and I'll take photos from the beginning, I just need to find it first.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hi George @georgeswork!
    This is a lovely little model of a beautiful plane.
    Congratulations!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, I really liked this Fujimi kit.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

George @georgeswork, nice build, and with your large supply of aotake you are bound to build more planes for this EoJ GB 🙂
    Looking forward to your progress on the next build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik.
    Yes, a couple more builds planned. We will see how well the seal is on that container before I buy any more.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 10 months ago:

This one looks fantastic and you have done a great job of building it. Thanks for posting it.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Nicely done George, looks good.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis and Allan, next build will show photos from the start.