Zoukei-Mura J7W1, 1/48. The 'Magnificent Lightning'

Started by Harvey R. · 69 · 2 years ago · Empire of Japan, EoJ, EoJGB, IJN, J7W, J7W1, Japan, Kyushu, Shinden, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 2 years, 4 months ago:

This kit certainly provides the detail for you to work with which is nice!

Mitsubishi Ha-43, Part III

The next step here was to work on that long axle and covering which goes from the engine towards the propeller, as well as adding the turbochargers. This makes the engine look just slightly different...

The turbocharger was painted with MRPs burnt iron, it seems to be a really nice colour for this and looks very natural and not painted on. The engine does look a bit silly with that giant axle covering coming out the front (which, to show the amount of detail this has, includes the axle which is completely unseen). All these parts recieved the brown wash again.

The Cockpit

Normally I like taking step-by-step photos but I didn't get round to doing it here, regardless the cockpit for the Shinden is very simple.

One interesting feature of the Shinden is rather than having the systems bolt to the cockpit walls, which were also the exterior panels, the Shinden had it so the cockpit walls were seperate the exterior panels in order to make maintenance easier. This is partly why there are so many bolts inside this cockpit.

The colour of the cockpit is... Green. The exact shade isn't clear, it could be a type of Japanese Aotake paint. Aotake was effectively the Japanese equivalent to Zinc Chromite, in some regards it was actually a stronger paint, however unlike the US equivalent there weren't really any defined shades and different companies and factories varied. Mitsubishi Zero's had a bright blue colour, whereas another plane could have Aotake a colour similar to interior green. Furthermore, cockpits were generally painted Aotake and then overpainted in a different shade such as green, again this overpaint varied significantly from company or factory.

Zoukei-Mura calls for a 'Beautiful pale, greenish brown' and recommend Vallejo Green Sky, I ended up going with Tamiya XF-71 Cockpit Green which is used in Tamiya's Japanese navy cockpits, perhaps it would have been best to then lighten this colour to make it paler. Whilst companies had variations, it looks fine. Looking at reference photos is a bit tough, you can see from the current state of the Shinden that it's green but how much its faded is hard to tell, naturally the black and white photos don't help much either. The chair does seem noticeably darker green, ZM calls out to paint this an exterior dark green colour which I did. For this model Tamiya will be featuring heavily as MRP doesn't currently offer Japanese paints.

The cockpit was glued together whilst I work on the instrument panel, and test fitting seems to show a tight and promising lining up in the fuselage skeleton. I haven't decided whether I'll decal or paint the panel, as I'm going for a cleaner model than most (in terms of chipping and fading) the decals may be fine. One interesting tidbit of information is that ZM went for the planned instrument panel which is slightly different in shape to what the prototype had. Whilst not included, I have ordered some cheap Eduard IJN seatbelts to add later.

Behind the cockpit are some oxygen and CO² tanks, these were painted as the instructions called out and then added. A final part to be added here is the roll bar, ZM say to paint this again in glossy black but I'll go with a darker green colour instead. As you can see though, this is a small and simple cockpit which is unsurpsing for a Japanese aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Amazing detailing, Harvey @scalerambush
    I was surprised by the spartanic looks of the IP.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Splendid details and great progress, my friend @scalermabush!
    Looking forward to this super Shinden!

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 2 years, 4 months ago:

@scalerambush, Harvey, this is some fantastic work! The Shinden is a long-time favorite of mine and I always enjoy seeing it modeled. Long ago, I built the Hasegawa version and it turned into quite a little adventure with an unexpected result.

Here's a look at my J7W3 Shinden:

Kyushu J7W3 Shinden Japanese “Jet Ace” 1947
  • Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 4 months ago:

I have only seen these Zoukei-Mura Kits built up. Watching this, I see that they seem to be very nice and highly entailed kits the give you a complete kit. Remarkable work on the engine assembly it really turned out looking great, and the Cockpit is looking great too!

• Profile Photo

Regarding the instrument panel, here's ZM's diagram of the planned version (which is included in the kit) vs the prototype.

Personally I prefer the one at in the prototype as it looks different and crude, shame this kit doesn't include it.

Thank you for sharing that Jet Shinden Gary, looks amazing! It's a very unique and iconic shape that fits the jet engine well. I know ZM released extra parts for folks to modify their kits to be a jet Shinden, I've seen a couple of 1/32 ones floating around on eBay.

• Profile Photo

You're welcome and thank you Harvey! That is interesting regarding the jet parts available from Z-M. Do they provide any of the mods I did, like shortened LG and bubble canopy? I'll have to check it out and see what they have. Thanks for that info!

• Profile Photo

Honestly Gary I'm not sure, but no retailers sell the kit any more so you'll be searching second hand for the 1/32 or 1/48 Shinden, I can only imagine the bonus parts they made are just as hard to find. I'm not sure if they did the J7W3, but the J7W2 parts were available. The ZM Concept note book shows off a lot of interesting things such as a 1/32 'What If?' Zwilling style J7W1, and a J7W with twin wing mounted engines.

Regardless, in the UK I couldn't find a single retailer big or small with the basic kit, I didn't have much luck looking at Japanese retailers either as I was hoping to just import it. Checking ebay every few days was the only way I got this plastic.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the added info Harvey!

• Profile Photo

It's been a pretty busy week but some more progress has been done!

The Gun Bay

The first step to the gun bay begins with the framework itself, this was primed and painted with MRPs Duraluminum. Whilst the J7W was made of duraluminum, I chose this colour as it was darker than aluminium paints which would allow me to provide some contrast between different components.

With that done I worked on painting the guns themselves, painting these is a little tricky as whilst they have detail they are fundamentally just one dark colour so making them look interesting is difficult. These weapons are the Type 5 30mm Machine Gun, I say machine gun as the Imperial Japanese Navy considered anything under 40mm to be a machine gun, whilst the Army considered anything higher than 12.7mm to be a cannon, the joys of Japanese service rivalry! The cannons were intended to become a standard fighter weapon for the Navy, with it's performance in velocity and reliability being better than the Navy's previous Type 2 30mm. In the end the weapon saw limited use, since many aircraft planned to use it didn't see service. The cost of this improved performance was added weight and size, but in an aircraft like the J7W this wasn't a problem as the nose provided adequate room and the aircraft needed some nose weight to counter the mass of the engine.

Firstly I poked the knife into the barrel to make a guide and then drilled it out with a 0.2mm drill bit to provide some depth, then the weapon was sprayed over the previously sprayed Tamiya Gun Metal with MRP Gun Metal, which provided a much less 'bitty' finish. The weapon still looked bland, so to provide some visual interest I painted the ammunition feeds in aluminium as well as drybrushing the gun itself with a NATO Black equivalent to try and highlight the details. Later on, these would be given a black wash.

One problem considered by the designers was how to deal with the issue of bullet casings, on a conventional aircraft this was seldom an issue but ejected casings on an aircraft like the Shinden would have risked hitting the propeller at the rear. To counter this, the J7W featured 8 boxes underneath the cannons (4 per side), with each weapon having an ammo box that would feed into the gun as well as a separate feed that would take ejected casings into another box. Curiously this isn't moulded in this kit, but is present in the 1/32 example. This made the arrangement of these already large and heavy cannons even more difficult, with the weapons having to be placed staggered and at odd angles to allow the ammunition feeds to work, this can be seen especially well on the rear pair of cannons.

In miniature life this translates to a very small, very compact, very detailed and very finicky build. The guns are placed in a specific order, with structural walls and ribs being placed between the guns. Lots of glue, and a steady thumb to hold them down, were required here but eventually I got all of them but one cannon right, and then I realised one connection point was slightly too far out so I reglued the gun into a better spot and here we are.

In the process some glue got on the nose where the nosewheel housing is, but this won't be seen over the panel so no harm. The entire bay recieved a black wash as I wanted it to appear darker but not necessarily grimy and dirty here unlike the engine.

One concern I have is that if any of these is only slightly out of place (which it probably is), then surely this will cause complications when adding the 'shell' of exterior panels later on? I suppose if it does become an issue, both of the gun bays can be opened though my intended goal is to keep the right side closed as is seen in the first picture posted in this topic, and have any opened panels be on the left side. Regardless, we'll deal with that later.

Other Bits and Bobs

In the 1/32 kit the fuel tanks are all seperate parts, here they are instead hollowed out and moulded into the frame. This makes painting difficult but ultimately these likely won't even be seen. According to the reference photos in the ZM Concept note, the large fuel tank below the pilot was strapped to the plane with leather straps, so I naturally painted these brown. I painted the fuel tank with aluminium to distinguish it from the darker framework, and the same was done to the oil tank behind the pilot except this seems to have had metal braces which were left in the darker colour of the framework.

Regarding the instrument panel, the kit came with a decal. This was the kind with a black backing that I'm not a fan of, as I prefer ones with just the instruments and a clear backing. A mistake on my part was using this decal, as the instrument panel is impressively moulded and has more depth to it than most panels in this scale. The decal, despite being cut up into manageable pieces, would successfully adhere to the kit due to the depth it has and ended up looking pretty bad so I removed the decals and will paint it on instead, until that's done the cockpit is still not ready to be glued in.

And finally, as you probably noticed, the undercarriage has been removed and cleaned up. They are pretty well detailed with some brake cables included, these will probably be painted up soon and the wheels added just to aid with taking photos.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 4 months ago:

I am really liking how this is going together. The kit really looks like a fun build of an interesting subject. Your work has really made it look good.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Another amazing step, Harvey @scalerambush
    The gun compartment and IP, after modification, look superb.
    The way you always present yor progress is very nice.
    May I ask what camera that you use for taking those quality pictures?

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 4 months ago:

A shame with the IP decal, but seeing the progress here I´m sure that it will be overcome.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

This truly wonderful job, my friend @scalerambush! Your attention to details is phenomenal!
    Your painted instruments will look way better!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the words folks! The camera is my trusty Samsung phone camera, its handy that it has a 'pro' mode that let's you change quite a few settings so it works out well with the lightbox.

The Landing Gear

As you can see, the Shinden is supported by 3 very long landing gears that give the aircraft an intimidatingly large size when on the ground, or kind of looks like a gangly limbed baby deer or something. I normally build wheels up and the shape of the Shinden is so nice when done up, but it's the trade off for displaying the internal details.

Apparently according the the ZM concept note there was worries that the undercarriage would be too weak to support the aircraft, but these worries were dispelled by the prototype itself. Interestingly, the front nose gear is suggested to have been copied from the Douglas A-20, and looking at photographs you can see the similarities.

The landing gear would have been operated by a hydraulic system, an in an emergency could be lowered by their weight. Naturally the aircraft is too high to enter by the pilot alone so a ladder had to be used, a foldable built in ladder was planned but this was not finished by the time of the wars end.

Onto the minature side of things, these landing gears are clearly painted in a black and the instructions call for glossy black. Whilst I do sometime use this colour I do think it looks a little... toy like? I painted the legs first in MRP super silver, then lightly sprayed coats of MRP black to build up the colour. The result is a slightly lighter and shinier black, but not too glossy or dark. The brake line was painted in a grey as I saw a photo of a Ki-84 with grey lines, but largely due to the fact I wanted to distinguish the line from the leg and therefore couldn't use a black colour.

The wheels were painted in Tamiya rubber black, makes sense. I then went the usual method in leu of a mask set of using a circle stencil to spray the silver on the wheel. This caused a huge amount of overspray on the tyres this time, so I instead sprayed the wheel in silver and then just brush painted on the tyres with a dark grey colour.

All of this then got a black wash, later I may add some dirt or dust to the wheels but not much.

The Instrument Panel

With the decal not working out, I painted the entire panel again with NATO black by Tamiya. I then got the brushes out.

Following the photo of the decal I took, I copied what I saw. This instrument panel was extremely easy to paint as it even has raised details for where the dials on the indivisl instruments were. As such painting was lightly going over the subtly raised details in the appropriate colours, and was very quick and enjoyable. The instrument panel got a black wash again, and finally got the Krystal Klear treatment which should give them a glass like appearance. I still haven't decided whether I prefer using a dab of gloss or a dab of Krystal Klear for this job, both have advantages.

Finally it was all put together and the cockpit assembled. One issue is the model requires the cockpit built first then the gunbay, and there is one tube that goes from the gunbay into the cockpit. The instructions seem to show this going between a small bar and the IP, but the real Shinden has this tube going below that bar. I'm not sure what's right, as the instructions aren't very clear on this small detail. Ultimately I doubt it matters.