Zoukei-Mura J7W1, 1/48. The 'Magnificent Lightning'

Started by Harvey R. · 69 · 2 years ago · Empire of Japan, EoJ, EoJGB, IJN, J7W, J7W1, Japan, Kyushu, Shinden, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

That landing gear is indeed huge, Harvey @scalerambush
    The lines of the aircraft in air are indeed beautiful, but on her feet this aircraft looks even more impressive.
    Those smartphone camera's are doing quite great these days.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 2 years, 4 months ago:

A couple more additions on today...

The Firewall

One major addition to get round to is the firewall, this is the bulkhead that seperates the engine from the cockpit and naturally is on the opposite side to normal with this aircraft. This is also the point the real Shinden is cut in half at, with the forward part displayed.

One side of the framework was painted a metallic silver, in hindsight this probably should have been painted the same colour I used for the framework but oh well. The other side the same green used before.

With the framework added some more small parts can be attached, firstly the roll bar can be added and the oxygen bottle can also be glued to it. On the other side the oil tank is added providing some extra interest in this area.

Finally the engine itself is mated to the airframe by the use of 4 pieces that represent the bars that hold the engine in place. 2 of these pieces attach to this firewall, allowing the engine to roughly be displayed for photo purposed. Two more pieces are added to that long axle case at the rear, these will need a bit of convincing to stay in place with some glue and as such aren't seen here as the engine will need to be removed again to add the exhausts to it.

On the subject of other matters, here is a photo that roughly shows how the instruments look now the Krystal Klear 'glass' has dried.

Next up is those exhausts, which are cut out and cleaned up ready for paint. After that some intake vents need to be painted and suprisingly we'll be ready to start gluing it all together ready for that outer shell of panels.

Oh, it should also be added that the cockpit is now glued in and was a good fit. I had to trim some parts of the plastic that intersect with the firewall which may have been due to me not cleaning up the framework enough and therefore the cockpit didn't go forward enough by half a mil, but nothing the knife couldn't fix.

3 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

What an amazing result, Harvey @scalerambush
    You're doing a wonderful job on this engine part.
    Now the IP is transparant, it clearly shows the improvement over the decal.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

A masterpiece so far, my friend @scalerambush! As always, your attention to details is superb!

• Profile Photo

Thank you kindly!

• Profile Photo

The Mitsubishi Ha-43 Part IV

Next step was to finish the exhausts for this engine, these were all painted in MRP exhaust black (a bit of a weird colour, it looks like gunmetal but not as metallic, not really worth buying I'd say) after being removed from the sprue and cleaned up. With this done, a mixture of MRP Exhaust Metal and Tamiya Red Brown was sprayed lightly in small layers over parts of the exhaust, particularly the middle of any straight parts or where the exhausts bend to replicate burns. I feel like with all the fiddling around that the paint has perhaps worn off of these parts already.

After this it was time for the difficult part. Me, in my infinite wisdom, neglected to mark which part number each of the long exhaust parts were meaning that placing these parts was a tedious and long process of elimination which I think I got correct. Once these ones were in place I the smaller exhaust parts were far easier.

After this the engine could be mounted, firstly the two brackets at the rear were glued on and left some time to try dry, then the engine was put into place with some glue and the rear brackets glued to the airframe whilst holding them steady for a minute. Finally, the large exhaust below the engine was added.

With that, the engine is almost complete with a couple more parts needed to integrate it to the exterior framework and then off course being connected to the propeller. Furthermore the interior is now finished aside from these parts and a couple of intakes that fit to the outer panel.

Next up is to paint and place those exhausts, as well as painting the interior of the fuselage in a metallic colour (doesn't appear to be any Aotake on the aircraft), and with that the fuselage can start to be assembled followed by the wings.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Great progress - very thorough and well documented.

• Profile Photo

Beautiful work done, Harvey @scalerambush
    I do love the reddish brown accents, they give a very realistic effect.
    The tank between the engine and the seat, is that a fuel tank?

• Profile Photo

I'll double check it when I get back to the bench but the Concept Note book labels it as the oil tank, with the fuel tank being below the pilot.

I forgot to add this: I was having difficulty working out which exhaust went where and it seems the instructions have an error where it shows 2 diagrams of the right side of the engine but none of the left, so I went on the ZM website and downloaded the 1/32 instructions for another view.

Interestingly it seems its the 10th Anniversary of the 'Super Wing Series' this year which this model is a part of, and they are/they have re-released their older models including the 1/32 and 1/48 Shinden for direct ordering through them. So if anyone is interested, check it out. I have no idea of the price or shipping though, and orders either go through Volks JPN or Volks USA so I'm not sure they can be delivered anywhere else.

• Profile Photo

Cannot get better, my friend @scalerambush!
    I agree with our friend @johnb for the reddish/brownish tones!

• Profile Photo

A late merry Christmas to all of you folks over here at imodeler!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Harvey, @scalerambush
    Merry Christmas to you as well. I have not been too active lately on Imodeler. I have been very busy with other full scale projects, and bench time is a luxury that I have been doing without.

I am very impressed with the details ZM have incorporated into this kit. It makes my ancient Hasegawa 1/48 scale kit look like a toy in comparison. But what really impresses me, is how you are painting these magnificent parts. I was especially impressed with your work on the IP when the decals didn't turn out like you had hoped.

As far as the tank that's located behind the pilot's seat, I would believe the kit instructions are correct, making an educated guess this is indeed an oil storage tank. Since these radial engines don't have oil stored inside the crankcase, (similar to what we would expect in a typical automobile), they used a system that is very similar to a modern race car dry sump oiling system. Radial engines also tend to leak oil, (as well as burn it), while they are running.

Since the oil tends to collect in the lower cylinders when the engine is not running, this is also why you see the ground crews "pulling the props" through prior to starting. Oil doesn't compress, so if the engine was started without pulling the prop through several revolutions, the oil remaining in the combustion chamber could cause severe damage.

Please keep up the magnificent work. This is a real treat for us to watch as you are building it.

Thanks for the detailed postings, and a Merry Christmas to you and your family too. Take care.

• Profile Photo

Thank you for the information, it's very interesting to read and learn more!

Building the Exterior

Before Christmas I test fitted the model using some strong tape and will power, this highlighted what I thought would be the case which is that the model will need a lot of glue and care to get the panels to work out, this isn't going to be a Tamiya shake the box to assemble a completed model type event.

Firstly was to paint the interiors, this was done in aluminium but some parts were painted interior green for the cockpit walls.

Next was to add the first panels, which was the forward fuselage halves. These fitted pretty well, but lots of paint from the side of the framework and ammunition storage as well the the panels themselves need to be scraped off in order to get a good bond. First the right panel was glued and held with tape, and once it was dried after around half an hour the left panels were added.

Next up was the underbelly and the underside of the wings, this revealed some issues in fit with a big step being found by the fuel tanks. To fix this, part of the nose wheel bay was scraped off as well as part of the framework underneath the engine. This allowed this part to sit a lot closer, as you'll see later this still needs some work to tidy it up but it's manageable. A noticeable gap can be found in the section where the wing joins to the fuselage by the leading edge, I'm not sure what could have fixed this as the wing was secured to the wing spars as intended. This'll need some filler.

Then the upper halves of the wing were added, these fit fine but needed some strong convincing with tape in order to keep them all in line. This process caused some gluey fingerprints to attack the model, but luckily I sanded off the scars caused by tamiya extra thin and my thumb.

Finally I added the canards and the panel that covers the gun barrels, this had some issues fitting but holding it very tight for a few minutes delt with most, and some sanding with various grades of sanding sticks solved the rest.

On the rear of the aircraft the notable cooling fan was added, apparently the Shinden had very good cooling characteristics which were noted during the engine test and ground runs by the design team. This cooling fan attached to the axle that the propeller joins to so that it will spin with the propeller correctly.

One issue I am having is that the framework that attaches to the engine, particularly on the rear of the engine, keeps coming apart. I also find that the exhausts keep coming lose particularly when test fitting the rear panels that cover the engine.

Finally I also marked out what panels I will cut out, these are panels that are seperate on the 1/32 model to show off the engine but on 1/48 it's all together. I also marked one with a '?', but then realised this panel goes over one of the intake vents so won't be able to remove it.

• Profile Photo

What a great progress again, Harvey @scalerambush
    Seems like a not so easy step you made but it looks fine from the pictures.
    I do recognize those gluey fingers and that they can create a nightmare once the surface gets affected by them.
    Great idea to open up some of the panels to show that amazing engine.

• Profile Photo

Amazing progress on this superb model of the Shinden, my friend @scalerambush! My usual comment for total attention to detail will also be stated here, cannot help it ad your job is stunning!
    The Shinden will look even better with the open panels.
    Yep, extra thin glue and fingerprints are best of friends!